Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is a pain in the ass for modding my mustang. so, I live in california as you may have noticed already. i wanted to add some catted x-pipe to my 02 gt but apparently i cant because of the laws. anybody from california who could help me out? what i mean is maybe there is a catted x-pipe that is carb approved. if that doesn't work, i'd probably go with a tuner and 3:73 gears or 75mm throttle body(or 70mm) with a plenum.
btw, anybody know any good mod besides UDP, headers(which i think i can't even put here in california), and the ones i've listed?

thanks,
90beast

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
hey man I would go for the gears anyways, you'll have a much better seat of the pants feel.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I feel your pain

I have an 02 GT too and like yourself have been able to find very little that is CARB legal. I've heard that a few places that might pass an aftermarket catted X but that is a gamble. I could find no X pipes that carried an EO#. About the only thing I can think of that does are some of the CAI kits(K&N, BBK and??) and the C&L plenum. Catback exhaust sytems are OK. Some of the supercharger kits are legal(Vortech and Procharger I believe) but that's a big jump. Watch out for the throttle bodies, some carry an EO# but are generally good for up through '01 cars only though may be advertised for up to '04. Someone at BBK told me in the past that they were working on getting their shorty headers approved, you could ask them if that has happened yet. To the best of my knowledge no one will have a problem with the gears. A tuner would be good but most likely you will want to reinstall the stock tune for smog checks. Sorry there is not better news. I just hope that when the day comes and I can get the hell out of Cal some other state will have me!!!!

Good luck.

PS: I live close to Paso Robles

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
As long as the X pipe has cats it is legal at least that is what I know it as. My car is in the shop right now getting a bunch of stuff done to it but it is also getting a catted magnaflow X pipe.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I feel sorry for you, I would not be able to deal with that. Mustangs are supposed to be a platform to build off of, and you are limited to certain improvements due to restrictions. You could put an aftermarket mid pipe on there and switch it for the stock one when you go for an inspection. Or... since California allows it....get a catback to make it sound how you want, a drop in air filter (or CAI if its allowed), get the 3.73 gears and a tuner....and if you still arent satisfied, put a Vortech kit on there. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have an 02 GT too and like yourself have been able to find very little that is CARB legal. I've heard that a few places that might pass an aftermarket catted X but that is a gamble. I could find no X pipes that carried an EO#. About the only thing I can think of that does are some of the CAI kits(K&N, BBK and??) and the C&L plenum. Catback exhaust sytems are OK. Some of the supercharger kits are legal(Vortech and Procharger I believe) but that's a big jump. Watch out for the throttle bodies, some carry an EO# but are generally good for up through '01 cars only though may be advertised for up to '04. Someone at BBK told me in the past that they were working on getting their shorty headers approved, you could ask them if that has happened yet. To the best of my knowledge no one will have a problem with the gears. A tuner would be good but most likely you will want to reinstall the stock tune for smog checks. Sorry there is not better news. I just hope that when the day comes and I can get the hell out of Cal some other state will have me!!!!

Good luck.

PS: I live close to Paso Robles
i think you can put most of the shorty headers on it and you cannot put any long tube headers. but i was reading on the magnaflow website that they make cat converters carb approved. what about replacing the x-pipe cats with the ones carb approved. would that be possible? if yes, would it affect performances at all?

·
Registered
430 Posts
yes you can do that. I know most catted X pipe kits are actually an offroad (catless) x pipe that comes with cats. You need to cut the x pipe to fit the cats on if you decide to add them. In your case, you would just get an offroad pipe, then get the cats you need to pass inspection.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
The Magnaflow Catted X!

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
Most that i know that live in a state with emissions have their stocker mid pipe handy and right after inspection, they'll go home and put their O/R h or x back on. Being Cali, if they do pull you over and give you a fix it ticket, you have the stocker waiting at the house. you put it on, tell them and ticket is gone.
but the gears, TB and plenum would be a great start.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
^^^ +1 time to do work when emissions come around or ur buddy they cop. after a few times of takeing the h pipe off it will take you 30 min

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
you didn't mention a CAI, do you have one already?

·
Registered
177 Posts
i think you can put most of the shorty headers on it and you cannot put any long tube headers. but i was reading on the magnaflow website that they make cat converters carb approved. what about replacing the x-pipe cats with the ones carb approved. would that be possible? if yes, would it affect performances at all?

I found some cats that had EO#'s but it turned out that they were legal only for earlier year cars. You can check the #'s at this site:

Database: Aftermarket Parts Database of Executive Orders

Also, shorty headers are not legal by definition. They need to have an EO# covering the year of the car. As an example Ford Racing shorty's are not legal as stated in their own catalog. I forgot to mention in the prior post that I believe JBA shorty and midlength's are but they are expensive. I don't mean to be a wet rag but there is a lot of guessing and confusion that seems to surround this subject. If there is any doubt, be sure there is an EO# for the product and check it at the site to be sure it covers your year.

·
Registered
822 Posts
So we can use the maganflow catted x pipe in cali and still pass smog? Is there any other catted x pipes?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So we can use the maganflow catted x pipe in cali and still pass smog? Is there any other catted x pipes?
probably. that's what i'm trying to find out. i have to call one of the seller and ask them for the carb #. if they do, ill let you know

·
Registered
104 Posts
ha i live in cali. to im just going to put what ever i want on my car and when it comes time to smog put the stock stuff back on. problem solved.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Do you need to install new headers if you install a catted x pipe or can you leave the stock ones? like the magnaflow catted x pipe :?:

·
Registered
12 Posts
almost everythings illegal in cali son even cai theres very few carb legal and if it has the stickerand u get pulled over the cop will still try to bust ur balls well in so cal area at least if u get a ticket its automatic G and if ur lucky if its correctable then itll drop like 3 bills soo what im saying b carefull my cuz just got a ticket for that and it was a ***** luckaly i dont give a duck and mod it n e ways live fast die young thug life :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
822 Posts
That 's what I 'm saying, Once I save the money I'm getting a catted x pipe, there shouldn't be any problems or what do you think?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.