Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got my car running good! Now is the time to take it and show it off. I am driving about 5 hours away so i have to use a trailer to haul it....Problem is, the car trailer is normal height and my R style bumper only sits about 5" off the ground. Any ideas on how to load it without scraping the spoiler or the exhaust? I could take the front bumper off, but am really trying to get around that. Besides having to buy some race ramps that are hella expensive, best altrnate method????

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Here's the "Poor Man" method that has always worked for me. Get yourself a couple of 2 X 4's that are around 8' lengths. Put them halfway up your loading ramp. Your car's tires will go up on the 2 X 4 way before it gets to the ramp thus lessening the angle. That should allow you to clear your bumper and exhaust. The pic I gave you is kind of hokey but I hope it makes things clearer. Good Luck. :bigthumbsup

Attachments

·
Registered
429 Posts
Here's the "Poor Man" method that has always worked for me. Get yourself a couple of 2 X 4's that are around 8' lengths. Put them halfway up your loading ramp. Your car's tires will go up on the 2 X 4 way before it gets to the ramp thus lessening the angle. That should allow you to clear your bumper and exhaust. The pic I gave you is kind of hokey but I hope it makes things clearer. Good Luck. :bigthumbsup
Just another little thought to add....crank the front of the trailer up as high as you can get it. And be careful of course.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Poor man method is the way to go however I'd think using a 2X12 at 8' would be safer, maybe get a few bricks or something to put halfway under for added support. You know to hold the boards up encase they bow as your driving up, then it snaps and your all done lol. I just can't see 4 inches being wide enough

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
Or back the trailer up to a small bank or curb if you have the the space.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Well you can jack the front of the trailer up with it connected to the vehicle, like has been stated. Or you can extend your ramps, pretty cheap to go buy some more steel tubing and weld on about another 3 feet makes a nice long ramp. Or you can Dove tail the back of the trailer, more expensive. Or like I had to do dove tail and longer ramps lol. My race car was very low. I dont advise on 2x4 like was stated you will get half way then snap and off comes any front appendages. Bye bye R style bumper. Sounds like you have spent some time and money on car dont cheap out when it comes to getting it to show or race safely and in one piece.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts