Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a few of you know my first car was stolen so i'm just looking for some solutions for this one. I'm told that my best options are a fuel cutoff switch or LoJack. First off does anyone have either one, and if so where do I get LoJack from or what parts do I need to put on a cutoff switch. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
LoJack will cost you money to operate monthly as I recall, although it'll tell you/the police exactly where your vehicle went.

You could go with either a fuel cutoff or battery cutoff - both would work. Try Summit or JEGS for parts. Neither are difficult to install.

·
Registered
922 Posts

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
I would go with Lojack if it's available (LoJack Car Security System for Stolen Vehicle Recovery). Fuel and battery cutoffs won't do you any good if they tow the vehicle.

Lojack won't do you any good if they tow it off in an enclosed trailer or if there is rain or heavy cloud cover. All they have to do is get it to a garage somewhere. I'd say do both if you can afford the monthly service tho.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Agreed, not much you can do if a pro wants your car for parts\whole, and most thefts now are pros. Alarm, cutoffs, lojack will help againest amateurs but if someone wants it....

One of the guys I work with here in NYC had a new SUV stolen from his driveway-they poured oil on the ground and just pulled it onto a flatbed!

If you have a lot of mods talk to you ins. co. and get them covered.

·
Registered
568 Posts
One of the guys I work with here in NYC had a new SUV stolen from his driveway-they poured oil on the ground and just pulled it onto a flatbed!
That's pretty clever! That's the cheap version of lots and lots of ball bearings.

"May I have ten thousand marbles, please?"

·
Registered
714 Posts
I'd go both..

lojack is usually installed by the dealer when u buy the car. its around 700 IIRC and there are no on going fees ( I had it installed when I got my vert)

"The technology uses radio frequency (RF) as opposed to GPS. This allows police to recover vehicles when they are hidden in garages and other dense areas. It also can be upgraded to alert the owner of a vehicle if the car is moved or started, via LoJack Early Warning."

a cut off switch would be fairly inexpensive IMO

·
Registered
12,666 Posts
I say go with a fuel cut-off switch hidden somewhere under the rear seats or some location no normal person would put it in. If its right under the driver's seat, that will be too easy. I would also get Lojack because better safe then sorry. On top of that, Lojack qualifies you for insurance discounts i believe

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
On my RX-7 I wired a switch under the dash that cutoff the power to fuel pump.

I got a fog lights label (that year there were no fogs!) and put it on the switch.

Did it more for flooding issues that rotarys have but also good protection.

·
Registered
29 Posts
On my 1973 Ford Bronco, I have numerous security features installed. My favorite? I flip a switch and whenever you hit the brake petal, a 130db horn blasts!

I'm gonna add lojack to the mustang soon.

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
I'd go both..

lojack is usually installed by the dealer when u buy the car. its around 700 IIRC and there are no on going fees ( I had it installed when I got my vert)

"The technology uses radio frequency (RF) as opposed to GPS. This allows police to recover vehicles when they are hidden in garages and other dense areas. It also can be upgraded to alert the owner of a vehicle if the car is moved or started, via LoJack Early Warning."

a cut off switch would be fairly inexpensive IMO
i would say do both.. my dads 79 firebird has one in the driverside fender hidden.. its gotten me a few times when we go 2 start it and take it out of the garage.. rofl, and i knew it was there.. thats the worst part.

Lojac seems to be alot of cash, but if you got it i would.. I would do it on my car, its important to me man

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.