Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just inherited an old 67 Mustang from my mother, and need to move her from Los Angeles to Philadelphia.

Background:
She had a full new engine in about 2000, but wasn't driven much between then and 2008. In 2008, I drove her to Tucson, where she had some radiator problems, though these cleared up when I had a new radiator put in. I drove her every day out there for a while, and she was fine, then drove her back to LA for my mother again, and she was fine. And now I need to get her to Philadelphia.

Any general advice on how to do this safely? I'm having her checked over by a classic Mustang expert, of course, but I have some driving questions:
-- is it better to stick to Interstates or U.S. Highways?
-- how many miles per day would be a safe bet, assuming she gets the ok from the mechanic?
-- she can easily go 70, but is it better to go slower?

Any advice on keeping an old Mustang safe on a long cross-country trip is welcome!

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
503 Posts
by "full new engine" do you mean a new crate engine? or a rebuilt one? what size engine/trans? any other mods?

in general, if the car doesn't have any leaks, has good brakes, has a clean/good running engine and adequate cooling (with no leaks) then it should have no problem running for long periods of time. i would recommend stopping every few hours to give it a rest and allow it to cool down some though.

LA to philly is roughly 3000 miles so its gonna take you probably a solid week or so depending on how long you drive each day. gas is probably gonna kill you though, no matter what speed your going. these cars just werent meant to be that fuel efficient.

the car should have no problem doing 70mph on the highway with a few rest stops every 200-300 miles or so.

also, having a AAA card on you is probably a very smart idea

·
Registered
831 Posts
Back in 1987, I was living outside of D.C. I flew out to San Diego and picked up my "new" 1965 Convertible. I spent the next week taking a drive across country in my "new" car. Had a great time.

I'd advise with each fuel stop, you take a look around the car. You took care of the usual problem with a new radiator. Check the starter too since often when they get hot from hours of highway driving, they don't want to work.

My car was completely stock then, with a Top-Loader 4spd so I just kept the speed around 60 so as not to cause too much stress.

Give her an oil change (the car, not your Mom) and grease job and go! Oh, and take pics too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts