Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
First I want to apologize because this is probably gonna be a fairly long post. :p
Anyway, I just recently (a couple days ago) posted a thread about B-day ideas for what my parents could get me for my 18th birthday in regards to my car. I got a lot of great suggestions and ideas from people (Thanks guys!), but it got me thinking....
I am going to be 18 in about 2 weeks and have an 06 v6 Stang. :D I feel very lucky and fortunate to have a mustang (my dream car) at this age, so I am not complaining by any means. But it did get me thinking about how I should put my money into the car or if I should put any money into it...

I already have a Tuner and JLT CAI on her, and am planning to put some dual exhaust on very soon. Plus I should get some goodies for my birthday, but not big performance mods. Anyway to get to the point, what would you guys suggest I do in terms of upgrading my car, or leaving it as is and saving for a long time to get a GT? Basically what I am asking is; At my age and stuff, do you think it would be better to just keep upgrading my car bit by bit like I have been, and maybe eventually investing in a turbo/supercharger, or would it be better to just save for a long time and then sell her and buy a GT?
I really have no idea what I should do, because on one hand I really would like a power of a GT, and there is only so much you can do to a v6, but at the same time even if I sold current stang, it would be at least 2 years or even more before I got a GT, and to be honest I hate the new body style so I would have to try to get like an 07 or 08 and that might be totally out of style... So please let me know just from experience and sense you all are probably older and wiser than me, what should I in regard to that?

My second question, which is a lot shorter... Could someone please explain to me how the gears and stuff work? What I mean is I see a lot people talking about getting like 3.73s and other stuff like that which I am pretty sure refers to gears, but I have really no clue what that actually means, and what the difference is or what the benefits are.

Sorry for making it so long. But thanks for your help, everyone on this forum is awesome and very helpful! :D

·
Registered
806 Posts
Hey,
First I want to apologize because this is probably gonna be a fairly long post. :p
Anyway, I just recently (a couple days ago) posted a thread about B-day ideas for what my parents could get me for my 18th birthday in regards to my car. I got a lot of great suggestions and ideas from people (Thanks guys!), but it got me thinking....
I am going to be 18 in about 2 weeks and have an 06 v6 Stang. :D I feel very lucky and fortunate to have a mustang (my dream car) at this age, so I am not complaining by any means. But it did get me thinking about how I should put my money into the car or if I should put any money into it...

I already have a Tuner and JLT CAI on her, and am planning to put some dual exhaust on very soon. Plus I should get some goodies for my birthday, but not big performance mods. Anyway to get to the point, what would you guys suggest I do in terms of upgrading my car, or leaving it as is and saving for a long time to get a GT? Basically what I am asking is; At my age and stuff, do you think it would be better to just keep upgrading my car bit by bit like I have been, and maybe eventually investing in a turbo/supercharger, or would it be better to just save for a long time and then sell her and buy a GT?
I really have no idea what I should do, because on one hand I really would like a power of a GT, and there is only so much you can do to a v6, but at the same time even if I sold current stang, it would be at least 2 years or even more before I got a GT, and to be honest I hate the new body style so I would have to try to get like an 07 or 08 and that might be totally out of style... So please let me know just from experience and sense you all are probably older and wiser than me, what should I in regard to that?

My second question, which is a lot shorter... Could someone please explain to me how the gears and stuff work? What I mean is I see a lot people talking about getting like 3.73s and other stuff like that which I am pretty sure refers to gears, but I have really no clue what that actually means, and what the difference is or what the benefits are.

Sorry for making it so long. But thanks for your help, everyone on this forum is awesome and very helpful! :D
well in short gears help with pick up in general. it also shortens the gears....for example with my stock 3.27 gears i could go 1st gear 0-40ish then 2nd 40ish to 75 then 3rd 75 to 110. now with 4.10s i go 0-34ish in 1st and 34ish to 60 in 2nd. it keeps you in your powerband and gives the car better pick up. this is the best way to explain it i guess.

as far as the keep the v6 or get a gt goes.....why not save up for a cobra or a mach 1? or maybe a older gt? wither will be benfical

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay thanks for explaining. :D
I would would save up for one of those, but I don't like any of the GTs that are before the 05s, and sense I am only 18, I don't have like a good high paying job so it would really take a long time. Especially once I start going to college. o.0 I mean I am not expecting to get it instantly, but if I am waiting like 2 years to get one, would it be more worth while to just spend that money to make mine even better?

·
Registered
704 Posts
I would say stick with your V6, at your age even if you get a GT in 2 years you will only be 20 and insurance will still be pretty high. There are a lot of things you can do with the V6 in terms of upgrades and appearance mods. Plus once you start doing more to it, it will be a little harder to let it go even if its for a GT:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haha okie. I will take that advise. :D But some other opinions would be cool too, as well as some suggestions for some good mods.
I don't earn money very fast, so they can't be mods that like $800 a pop and stuff, but a couple hundred here and there would be fine. So besides my duals, CAI, and tuner what should be my next priority? :)

·
Registered
806 Posts
I would say stick with your V6, at your age even if you get a GT in 2 years you will only be 20 and insurance will still be pretty high. There are a lot of things you can do with the V6 in terms of upgrades and appearance mods. Plus once you start doing more to it, it will be a little harder to let it go even if its for a GT:bigthumbsup
true especially if you dont want to get an older stang. my 98 cobra cost me 122 a month.......in insurance thats full coverage.

·
Registered
365 Posts
true especially if you dont want to get an older stang. my 98 cobra cost me 122 a month.......in insurance thats full coverage.
Man consider that lucky that is mothing, im 21 and my v6 cost me 120 a month for liability only. Yeah dude stock w ur v6 v8 are so expensive for use, save up for a supercharger or like me do a v8 engine swap and keep quite about it

·
Registered
806 Posts
Man consider that lucky that is mothing, im 21 and my v6 cost me 120 a month for liability only. Yeah dude stock w ur v6 v8 are so expensive for use, save up for a supercharger or like me do a v8 engine swap and keep quite about it
thats because my car is 13 years old. lol. im 22, one ticket, and two accidents not at fault. the ticket was five years ago and it was a four point violation. the points should be off by now. Im thankful. just gotta stay out of trouble and keep my foot off the gas, but its hard to do............................ :good_and_evil:

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Haha yea it is definitely hard to drive you stang nice and easy... (I always have on my radar detector :p )

Hmm the v8 engine swap isn't a bad idea, how much do you think that would cost me total? I couldn't do it myself, so figure in labor costs too.

·
Registered
531 Posts
wow you guys are really lucky my stupid insurance is $168 a month with full coverage. im 22 which probably has something to do with it.

·
Registered
531 Posts
there is no way you could keep your new engine quiet :nogrinner

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
there is no way you could keep your new engine quiet :nogrinner
Haha yea probably not.. Especially when I go in for emissions and such.. Oh well, I mean I still have a lot I can do to her, so I think I will just stay with my nice 6er for a while. In regards to gears, would you guys recommend 4.10s, or 3.73s? I looked at the 3.73s on AM's site and they seem to be exactly what I am looking for, but I might be wrong...

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Save your money for now. You can do some minor stuff for your car for fun.

After you're done with school, you'll have plenty of time and some decent money to do your ultimate project car.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I wouldn't get the GT yet. You're young and BTW a car like the 5-9 mustang will never be "out of style" it's a freaking classic IMO. It may be underpowered compared to newer stangs, but money can fix that:winks

I would highly recommend getting 4.10s (big surprise ha:winks)
The only con is the highway gas mileage, but I dont think it's bad at all.

I think they are a big difference over the stock 3.31. Keep in mind that although the gears themselves are cheap, install can be pricey. I paid about $720 for my 4.10s+install at a ford dealer.

You also may want to consider saving up and getting the 8.8 rear with the gears already installed. You could do that in the driveway, I've read.

Good luck

·
Registered
704 Posts
When you look at gears you should think if you want to go FI (super charger or turbo) or NA and add soem nos. I would go with thte 3.73 if you think you want a SC in the future, but if not then get the 4.10

1 - 15 of 15 Posts