Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone actually installed Long Tubes on their S197 yet?

I am thinking of purchasing a set, not sure which ones yet. Just wondering if it can be doen in your home garage.

I think so far I like the stianless works kit myself

·
Registered
897 Posts
Kyle F said:
Anyone actually installed Long Tubes on their S197 yet?

I am thinking of purchasing a set, not sure which ones yet. Just wondering if it can be doen in your home garage.

I think so far I like the stianless works kit myself

I just finished it this morning. I went with the JBA Longtube Headers Titanium Ceramic Coated (2000 Degrees F)

I also installed the JBA Catted H-Pipe

It was quite an evening project more because I am very fussy and torque every bolt to spec.

If you attempt this yourself I'll give you a few pointers.

1) jack the front of the car and set it down on a set of strong jackstands

2) Remove steering shaft completely to get the left header in. It saves a lot of headaches.

3)Some people say don't remove the starter it's a pain in the a$$. I didn't have any problems removing it. It literally took me 5 Min to get it off. I even disconnected the wiring to it and set it aside. Don't forget to disconnect the battery or you'll know it soon enough.

4) try and install the right side header without jacking the engine. I got it in without jacking it.

5)The JBA headers won't mate up to the stock H-Pipe so order a JBA H-Pipe catted or off-road

6)Be patient.

JBA Longtube Headers 1

JBA Longtube Headers 2

·
Registered
829 Posts
Did you change motor mounts? If not...does it wiggle enough to bang them pipes around ? I heard there were some darn tight places that it would hit with the jelly filled OEM mounts...

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
I have one word for when I'm getting headers, KOOKS!

·
Registered
897 Posts
Gig4Fun said:
Did you change motor mounts? If not...does it wiggle enough to bang them pipes around ? I heard there were some darn tight places that it would hit with the jelly filled OEM mounts...
the picture is a little deceiving there's 1/4" there.
I didn't change the mounts yet because I wanted to see if they would knock first.
It's the last weekend at the track weather permitting and I never do more than 1 mod at a time.
This way I see the performance gains of each mod.
I also didn't feel like spending the money on mounts now when the car is being stored for the winter in 4 weeks time.
Since I have almost every other Steeda suspension part that exists on the car I probably will be installing them at a later date during the winter when I'll be bored.

The Kooks headers are also a great choice but I still prefer the JBA's with the Titanium Ceramic Coating (2000F) and the slip-fit collectors.

G

·
thump_rrr said:
I didn't change the mounts yet because I wanted to see if they would knock first.
It's the last weekend at the track weather permitting and I never do more than 1 mod at a time.
This way I see the performance gains of each mod.
I also didn't feel like spending the money on mounts now when the car is being stored for the winter in 4 weeks time.
Since I have almost every other Steeda suspension part that exists on the car I probably will be installing them at a later date during the winter when I'll be bored.

The Kooks headers are also a great choice but I still prefer the JBA's with the Titanium Ceramic Coating (2000F) and the slip-fit collectors.
thumprrr, suhw33t instl man. Congrats. I really hope people read what he just said. Do 1 (or 2 mods) only at a time and see your gains. Also, you got a very good product there.
I absolutely LUB my KOOKS! My X-pipe is sick, I finally figured out the word for the sound at WOT, it "Gurggles". It simply gurggles the higher amounts of air out the pipes now, I lub the sound.

Long tubes for the win.

·
Registered
829 Posts
thump_rrr said:
I didn't change the mounts yet because I (snipped)....prefer the JBA's with the Titanium Ceramic Coating (2000F) and the slip-fit collectors.
I love what you have done with the suspension. I plan to pick up that as well. I usually could get another second out of a car with suspension.... I KNOW what good it all does. You are a smart fella....:worship Keep us updated ! Regards

·
Registered
897 Posts
Gig4Fun said:
I love what you have done with the suspension. I plan to pick up that as well. I usually could get another second out of a car with suspension.... I KNOW what good it all does. You are a smart fella....:worship Keep us updated ! Regards
The only place I'll be picking up any time is on a road course.

Due to their stiffness the Steeda sport springs and swaybars prevent the car from properly transfering its' weight during a drag launch.

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Is there anyway (easy?) to keep the stock cats and aft with LTs?

·
Registered
897 Posts
kj_cinci said:
Is there anyway (easy?) to keep the stock cats and aft with LTs?
Not without a lot of cutting and welding. for $450.00 for a catted H-Pipe plus another $100 for O2 extenders I wouldn't bother. I have better things to do with my time.

Also the factory cats are too big to fit under the floor

P.S. checkout my new time below since I installed the headers. My old time was 12.82

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Thought so... hence the "easy way"...

Catted X avail? same price? All of yours from JBA??

Awesome time there brudda! My car is in the shop to put the heads on... was hoping to go one last time with the bolt-ons... oh well... more power should helpnext weekend! :winks

·
Registered
897 Posts
kj_cinci said:
Thought so... hence the "easy way"...

Catted X avail? same price? All of yours from JBA??

Awesome time there brudda! My car is in the shop to put the heads on... was hoping to go one last time with the bolt-ons... oh well... more power should helpnext weekend! :winks
JBA doesn't offer an X-Pipe for the Mustang.

I think JDM has a catted X-Pipe for the Kooks headers.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
does it screw with the computer when you use off road H or X pipes without the cats??? are the O2's before or after the cats???:?:

·
Registered
897 Posts
GTNOS said:
does it screw with the computer when you use off road H or X pipes without the cats??? are the O2's before or after the cats???:?:
There are 4 O2 sensors on the car. 2 befre the cats and 2 after the cats.

A simple explanation as it was explained to me was that the upstream O2 sensors will adjust your A/F mixture. (car will run rich without them)

The downstream O2 sensors sense if the cats are doing their job. Thee can be bypassed using MIL Eliminators or hand held tuner.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
thump_rrr said:
There are 4 O2 sensors on the car. 2 befre the cats and 2 after the cats.

A simple explanation as it was explained to me was that the upstream O2 sensors will adjust your A/F mixture. (car will run rich without them)

The downstream O2 sensors sense if the cats are doing their job. Thee can be bypassed using MIL Eliminators or hand held tuner.
so your basically saying that if i use a x-pipe that deletes the cats (which i have thought about doing b/c its cheaper for one without and OK dont have emissions tests) i need to re-flash, right? ....4 O2's... geez!...damn EPA!! :sterb:

G

·
Actually, I recommend the "catted X-pipe" for pure street. The high flow cats now are really not a big power loss, dynos prove it. You will save ever growing green house emissions with cats AND be legal. Why **** with your exhaust later to pass a test?

And I concur, with Long Tubes you will need to add fuel to the tune, it's cuz ya got more HP (air mass) now on intake.

·
Registered
897 Posts
GTNOS said:
so your basically saying that if i use a x-pipe that deletes the cats (which i have thought about doing b/c its cheaper for one without and OK dont have emissions tests) i need to re-flash, right? ....4 O2's... geez!...damn EPA!! :sterb:
The reasons I went catted were as follows. there is only a 5 HP difference catted and catless. I would not want to risk getting stopped at a traffic stop and being sent for inspection because they didn't see any cats. Longtube headers are OFFROAD USE ONLY so why attract more attention than you need. The smell you get from unburnt gasses is unpleasant. I park my car in my garage which is underneath the bedrooms so smells are undesireable.

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Me too will go with catted ones... which reminds me I should 'go shopping'...

The two guys that I know got busted here in Cinci were pulled over for having "loud exhaust systems". These cops were specially equiped and on the look for offenders as they had a mirror on a stick to look under cars, a'la boarder patrol/customs... One of the guys got off because he bought the car from a dealer "and thought it was okay and legal" dealer got a small fine. The other guy got a big fine, I think $4,300!!!

In addition to our earth and our wellbeeing we have smells as mentioned above and some muffling for us who drive far and on the highway...

·
Registered
332 Posts
The problem I have w/atfermarket cats is that they don't live well behind modded motors. Although it's a hit and miss proposition, I don't want to be the one that gets the bad one because you know the manufature is going to blame the tune.

For those that site legal reasons for using them, it's really BS. As side from CA, as the law is written, ANY tampering is illegal. Replacing the cats prior to I beleive now is 100K, up from 50K, without them failing is against the federal law. Those shops that chose to replace them must label and keep them for a specified time period (years) and they and better be bad. If your cat is bad, it must be repalced by like kind and in STOCK LOCATION. I don't see that in any of the aftermarket kits, especially with long tubes. And turning off the rear O2.....naughty naughty.

As for emissions, I've seen modded cars that were just as clean as a non modded. It's more in the tune than anything else.

I don't have emissions, veh inspections or road sides ... so I'm going catless. If I did, I would certainly use CA spec'd stuff or shorties w/the cats in the stock location.

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
CA is one State... Federal law requiering cats is the other 49 I guess...

I don't think a cop would care where they are... also an emissions test would show you 'legal' outside CA then I guess...

I'm just saying they have to be there, and your emissions 'clean enough' for us that still have testing, and for federal law...

Not arguing just saying what I think and why I want them...

1 - 20 of 130 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.