Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of buying parts and was wondering from any of you floks that have done long tube headers and catted xpipe if there was any gain than leaving it stock manifold and stock cats. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
704 Posts
of course there will be gain. long tube headers and a high flow midpipe should give a solid 10rwhp.... plus it will sound 10x better...

personally i think the sound difference would justify the money spent alone...

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
of course there will be gain. long tube headers and a high flow midpipe should give a solid 10rwhp.... plus it will sound 10x better...

personally i think the sound difference would justify the money spent alone...
I figure L/T's alone with a tune should give 20rwhp on an otherwise N/A motor.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Long tube headers are okay, on a well modified motor. You'll get just as much, with equal length shorties reason being, they'll scavenge the exhaust gasses better. With a stock motor or mildly modified motor, the longer the tube the slower the flow. Your better off, with equal length shorties and a free flowing catted X Pipe, Mike. SCT Tuner.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
710 Posts
Anyone done a side by side with N20? I'm guessing I would see bigger gains with long tubes and my nitrous. I'm debating on getting either FRPP cams OR long tubes with cats. Naturally I want both...but paying cash for both right now would not be fun :)

Yah.... I figure you can get out 25-30 from LT's with some cam's....Cams and LT's tuned and installed right should give you around 55rwhp combined with a cai.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Do the LT's first. They will compliment the other mods like cams, etc.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Long tube headers are okay, on a well modified motor. You'll get just as much, with equal length shorties reason being, they'll scavenge the exhaust gasses better. With a stock motor or mildly modified motor, the longer the tube the slower the flow. Your better off, with equal length shorties and a free flowing catted X Pipe, Mike. SCT Tuner.:bigthumbsup
Not even close.

·
Registered
505 Posts

Sorry, but this makes no sense :headscratch:.

Longer the tube slower the flow? No.

Equal length shorty headers are by far better than stock. But Long Tube headers are an even better choice. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
568 Posts
Equal length shorty headers are by far better than stock.:bigthumbsup
I don't have any first-hand experience, but from various threads I've read on here, it seems like the shorty headers don't do a whole lot of good. What kind of HP do shorties add versus LT's?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well Opininions very alot so I said screw it and ordered American Racing Headers w/ catted X-pipe, JLT CAI and a Magnaflowe cat back, I really dont need to piss off my neibors with a crazy loud exhaust at 4:45 in the morning. My local tuner is going to dyno tune it on his Mustang (Brand Name) Dyno. It was a toss up between Kooks and American but I went with American for a few reasons. I will let you know how it turns out. Hopefully I am not Disapoionted.

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
Well Opininions very alot so I said screw it and ordered American Racing Headers w/ catted X-pipe, JLT CAI and a Magnaflowe cat back, I really dont need to piss off my neibors with a crazy loud exhaust at 4:45 in the morning. My local tuner is going to dyno tune it on his Mustang (Brand Name) Dyno. It was a toss up between Kooks and American but I went with American for a few reasons. I will let you know how it turns out. Hopefully I am not Disapoionted.
Good choices. Just be advised that with the ARH headers it's a little tricky tuning the O2 sensors due to their placement. They don't heat up fast enough Your dyno tuner should be able tweak this.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Longer the tube slower the flow? No.
No, the tube length (and diameter) will dictate the rpm range the headers scavenge best at. The diameter of the pipe is a factor in dictating the flow speed. Larger diameter pipes will have a slower flow than smaller diameter pipes. Shorty headers are too short for "effective" scavenging because one exhaust pulse is past the collector before the next exhaust pulse is entering it's tube. (I would guess at some rpm well above our engines redline shortys would start scavenging)

Equal length shorty headers are by far better than stock. But Long Tube headers are an even better choice. :bigthumbsup
Absolutely!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Interesting read.

Question - is an allignment required after a LT header install? A front and rear alignment was recommended, but having read the instructions for the install I am a little suspect both front and rear are required...

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
Interesting read.

Question - is an allignment required after a LT header install? A front and rear alignment was recommended, but having read the instructions for the install I am a little suspect both front and rear are required...
:scratchchin I fail to see any relationship.

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
The only thing that I had to alighn ,was the tailpipe.:D

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.