Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok-this may sound quite ignorant, but i am lookin for a way to know exactly how headers are designated between long tube/short tube. i am pretty sure that i have equal length long tube MAC headers but i am not positive. the reason i an wondering is because i am eventually(hopefully soon) looking to install and o/r x pipe and they all require you to know the difference between the two types. can someone with a bit more knowledge help me out with this?

·
Registered
486 Posts
You could do yourself a favor and google what different types of headers look like. Shorties will collect right under the firewall, and longtubes will collect to your midpipe farther down.

·
Registered
431 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the links-i will check thenm out. based on what you guys have told me so far-i am going to say they are shortys

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
on long tubes, you have to get under the car before you can see where they collect. on shorties you can see the collector from the engine bay.

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
Here's the three kinds. Shorty, equal length, full length.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
long tubes are long.... short tubes are short..... :D

·
Registered
369 Posts
short is short, long is long, and equal length perform better right?
Are equal length the best for performance?

·
Registered
486 Posts
Depends on the application really. Let us know the setup and/or your goal and we can give you a better recommendation.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Daily driver, 87 gt, very little mods; basani 2 and half x pipe, mac exhaust. fender well mounted CAI, timing set 14, and i would like to put a cobra upper and lower intake on it as well, [if it will give me the hp gains that i hear it will with my little mods....??? Oh and 3:55 gears.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
short is short, long is long, and equal length perform better right?
Are equal length the best for performance?
The long tubes are the better of the 3. Long tubes have have a scavaging affect which helps the exhaust escape a lot easier.

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
It also depends on whether or not the car has to be smog checked for your inspection. If yes, then forget the long tubes because you won't pass. Equal length is better than the shorty but can cause slight plug wire interference and more cussing during install. These are minor issues, you just rotate the plug wires differently and you get practice cursing. :hihi:

·
Registered
883 Posts
LMFAO Eagle, long tubes are supposed to be the best tho like someone else said if you're trying to pass smog go with equal lenght, go chrome if you like the bling, go ceramic coated if you can afford it, they're the best either long tube or shorty...ceramic coated. you can send me a private message for pricing

·
Registered
369 Posts
thanks guys, you rock.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I don't know personly, but I was told not to use ceramic headers if you have a new rebuild. Ypu might want to look into that before you spend the extra $$

1 - 17 of 17 Posts