Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well its times to finish up the rest of my exhaust, and I am really up in the air as to what headers and midpipe I should get. some people tell me to get kooks, others tell me to get AR and others tell me to get SLPs.

I'm running SLP LM currently on the car with a whipple s/c. As far as much better sound, I don't know whether to go with an X or an H pipe, but it will be catted!! I know the x has its advantages over H with regard to power, but I want a good muscle car sound

When I review and research all the headers, they all have great pros, but its the cons that get me. and these are the cons that ive compiled

Kooks - cats and midpipe hang 1 inch below the frame (i've seen many setups in person)

American Racing - CEL (check engine lights) coming on often due to the positon of the o2 bungs being farther away than the stock position. (i know 3 people whom have this problem)

SLP - horrible quality of cats.

my ride is lowered with the steeda sport springs, and I really dont want to go through the trouble of hitting the cats on the ground.

can anyone point me in the right direction of the headers/midpipe I should be looking at with my SLP LMs

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
I'd do a catted H. The miniscule amount of hp gain from an X isn't worth it. I have SLPs. Headers are great. Catted X, not so much for the reason you cited. I run race pipes in place of the cats now so problem solved.

·
Registered
10,876 Posts
American Racing - CEL (check engine lights) coming on often due to the positon of the o2 bungs being farther away than the stock position. (i know 3 people whom have this problem)
I have them and it did come on but Chris at Tillmans tweeked my tune to fix that. No problems since. And they fit great.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hey travlers,

how long you been running your headers without a CEL coming on? 06vistabluegt, aka Jeff, has them on his car with the stingers and his come on like every now and then and he's tuned by tillman.

·
Registered
10,876 Posts
hey travlers,

how long you been running your headers without a CEL coming on? 06vistabluegt, aka Jeff, has them on his car with the stingers and his come on like every now and then and he's tuned by tillman.
Probable 3 or 4 months now. Mine used to come on about onec a month. After talking with Chris about it we tried something and it's working.

If Jeff calls Chris he can update his tune to stop that.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
do your cats hang below the frame?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think 1/4" if they do. Almost everyone else do more then that.
I just got off the phone with CR, he says the AR are the only ones with the known problem of the CEL coming on because of where the rear o2 sensor are located, and because of the location, it takes a while for them to heat up, which in turn sends a CEL light. he even told me that yours comes on every 2-3 months. *shhhh don't tell him I said anything*

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
I just got off the phone with CR, he says the AR are the only ones with the known problem of the CEL coming on because of where the rear o2 sensor are located, and because of the location, it takes a while for them to heat up, which in turn sends a CEL light. he even told me that yours comes on every 2-3 months. *shhhh don't tell him I said anything*
The bungs could always be moved up a little.

·
Registered
10,876 Posts
Mums the word. That is why ARheaders are ture Long tube headers. The others are shorter then ARHs.

The bungs could always be moved up a little.
If you did that it would be up in the tubes.

·
Registered
622 Posts
The ARH, and I believe a few of the stainless works are just finicky... especially with larger primaries. You can tell the computer exactly where the o2 sensor is, widen the range in which it learns, and still here and there.... on occasion... in the cold... you're gonna get a light. It doesn't affect performance, but it's annoying. We have guys with every brand header running tunes without lights, though, including ARH. I just say it's better to expect it, and it not come on, than surprise you.

Chris

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The ARH, and I believe a few of the stainless works are just finicky... especially with larger primaries. You can tell the computer exactly where the o2 sensor is, widen the range in which it learns, and still here and there.... on occasion... in the cold... you're gonna get a light. It doesn't affect performance, but it's annoying. We have guys with every brand header running tunes without lights, though, including ARH. I just say it's better to expect it, and it not come on, than surprise you.

Chris
understandable CR.

I tried to catch you on IM before you signed off, i know the Kooks midpipe does sit a bit low below the frame. is there anyway to modify it or perhaps bend it up a little bit so I wont have any scraping issues being lowered with the steeda springs?

·
Registered
186 Posts
I ran the Kooks long tube headers with catted H pipe and axle back ford racing mufflers by borla. I love the sound now. As mentioned the xpipe does give a minute amount more hp but the catted h gives you low end tork. I went for the sound personaly. Unless you are drag racing your car 3-5hp means crap. The x makes the 3valves more raspy and tuner like sounding. The catted h keeps that deeper sound. My car has the Eibach pro lowering kit and I have no issues with the clearence. During the install I just made sure I keep the pipes tucked up as far as I could. There is room for some minor adjusting but I would say unless you go really low you will have no issues.

My exhaust clip is in the 2005+ talk forum under exhaust clips. Just listed it so it should be one of the first ones to come up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.