Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi I got a 05 mustang gt I want to get longtube headers my car is lowered I have saleen springs if I get the headers will they hit the ground sometimes and the brands I was looking at are bbk or pypes what ones would you take?do you need to buy the Xpipe or hpipe to install headers i have a aftermarket xpipe on the car right now when I go to install headers can I just hack the pipes and then flange it to make the lubetube to fit to my exhaust

B
0 Posts
hi I got a 05 mustang gt I want to get longtube headers my car is lowered I have saleen springs if I get the headers will they hit the ground sometimes and the brands I was looking at are bbk or pypes what ones would you take?do you need to buy the Xpipe or hpipe to install headers i have a aftermarket xpipe on the car right now when I go to install headers can I just hack the pipes and then flange it to make the lubetube to fit to my exhaust
I dont mind helping but I have to ask a favor...punctuation and grammar make it a little easier on the eyes.

You will not have clearance issues. Most headers for the S197 platform are more of a mid-length header vs. a true old school header with a collector that you can see hanging out from under the car.

Im not a fan of either BBK or Pypes (made in China) but its up to you. If you ever plan on going for big numbers, I would recommend looking for a 1 3/4" primary or larger. Maybe even a set of custom stepped primaries from 1 3/4" to 1 7/8" and 3" collector would be pretty sweet!

·
Registered
478 Posts
Idon'tunderstandwhatyourproblemwithpropergrammarisbutIthinkyoushouldjustdumbitdownalittleandhelphimout.
+1 internets for you, sir. :)

OP - go with longtubes of your choice, don't waste your time on shorties. More than likely you will need a new x/h pipe, unless you want to "hack" up what you presently have as you said. A good muffler shop could ablige you in that respect I imagine.

S

·
0 Posts
I don't understand why the OP is putting on headers when he is sitting at HP445 tq409 on a stock block and trying to add horsepower the expensive way.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i like the sound of the longtube headers.now you got me thinking about changing the pulley.I also just got the anderson power pipe for the pro charger.Iam shooting for 500 hp to the wheels

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
you are right I talked to a guy at pro charger he said if you put longtubes on you will lose 2psi boost.so should get the smaller pulley to get back the 2psi of boost that I will lose from the longtube headers?

·
Registered
212 Posts
my kooks LT headers drag on the passenger side, drives me crazy. I'm actually NOT IMPRESSED with the fit/finish of them. I'm having the mid H pipe section cut and rewelded next weekend to gain clearance. i drag it everywhere. I have steed sport springs for lowering..... (which have destroyed my stock shocks/struts...)

S

·
0 Posts
you are right I talked to a guy at pro charger he said if you put longtubes on you will lose 2psi boost.so should get the smaller pulley to get back the 2psi of boost that I will lose from the longtube headers?
Get your car dyno'd before you put the tubes on. Put the tubes on and then dyno again. Don't change your boost pulley. See which direction your horespower goes after the loss of 2 psi. I think you will be suprised.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so if I get longtubes do I need to relocate my hi flow catalytic converters?I have aftermarket x-pipe right now

·
Registered
714 Posts
I use american racing headers, and they clear fine. Lowered 1" up front/1.25 in the back.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yes Iam in Cali are the bbk's headers 50state legal?

·
Registered
636 Posts
Technically speaking all long tube headers are illegal in all 50 states.

According to federal law you cannot remove/relocate your factory catalytic converters and long tubes force you to relocate them, so by driving with long tubes on the street you are violating federal law.

That said - in some states they don't check or don't care, however it's still federal law so technically it's illegal. Since CA is super anal about that type of **** you would probably run into trouble.

Up here in MA the inspection station is supposed to plug in via OBDII to check the emissions and do a visual inspection (so long tubes SHOULD fail) however most places don't do the visual; as long as you pass via OBD you're OK. I know my inspection guy and he doesn't give me any trouble for any of my vehicles so I just have to pass the OBD scan, which is why I'm still considering long tubes even though I live in a state that can be a PITA about this type of thing (I'm just aiming to get the quietest set of long tubes & mid pipe I can find, so I don't attract attention from cops who could still ticket me for illegal exhaust - though that's pretty rare too).

·
Registered
533 Posts
My kooks LTs work fine with my 1.5" lowered GT. I cant imaging anyones pipe are dragging on the ground.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yes you right I will have to relocate my cats.man my aftermarket X-pipes and cats look to clean to hack up.Iam so confused

B
0 Posts
my kooks LT headers drag on the passenger side, drives me crazy. I'm actually NOT IMPRESSED with the fit/finish of them. I'm having the mid H pipe section cut and rewelded next weekend to gain clearance. i drag it everywhere. I have steed sport springs for lowering..... (which have destroyed my stock shocks/struts...)
You are burning through power steering pumps and your mid-length headers hit the ground??? Seeing a pattern maybe...Mine are tucked up under the frame rails. I'm lowered with lowered motor mounts and the only thing that will occasionally scrape are my bullet style mufflers welded in place of my cats and that's only if I high center the car!

S

·
0 Posts
Any shorty should be legal. With shorties you don't touch the cats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 61 Posts