Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any tips on what to look for? It has 85k miles, and looks to be no mods (yet :kooky: ).

I will be going to look at it this weekend, and I'm just wondering if there is anything to watch out for. I currently own a '96 v6, so I have NO experience with the 32v DOHC setup. My dad will be going with me, but his experience is mostly with the older carbourated engines, with a little bit of fuel injection.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Look for all the obvious things you would for any car like smooth shifting, oil leaks (don't be afraid to put your knee down and look under the car at the engine, transmission and rear end), maintenance records, check all devices, look for evidence of wrecks (if wrecked ask about who did collsion repair to ensure they are reputable), and be sure to get a CarFAX (it is money well spent - it's good for a month if you have to pay for it, so you can check all the cars you look at).

If it has modifications, check to see that the work was done well (hopefully by a reputable shop). If it was done by the owner or friends, have it checked by a speed shop familiar with Mustangs. If they are telling the truth about the condition, they shouldn't mind. When I sell mine, I would be willing to go along with them to answer questions, if any came up. If it ahs gears installed, take a ride up to at least 75-80 MPH to see if there is any driveshaft vibration (near rear end). This happens sometimes with gear installs. A little is OK, just make sure it's not too bad.

I have a 99 Cobra as a daily driver and love it. I commute from VA-MD weekly and have 130K trouble free miles so far. I don't race, but I don't baby it either.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I'm pretty sure that 99 was the big recall year. Ford claimed 320 horse and it was 10-15 shy. They recalled them and changed a few parts to get it up to par. I think the intake will have a certain color dot on it if the recall work has been done. Maybe do a search on it to find out. I always take any perspective new vehicle to a mechanic and have then put it on the lift and drive it. It's money well spent, they also tell me what usually goes wrong with any certain vehicle.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i also just bought i 99 cobra and i am familiar with the recall they had on the intake, computer, and exhuast from the cats back i am trying to find out if the recall work was done to this car or how i could get in done so if anyone knows if this is true about the dot on the intake if the recall was done i would like to know
thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.