Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering what is considered a high mileage mustang? I want to get a 1999-2004 mustang 6 cylinder but I wante to see what you guys thought was reasonable. I want him to be able to drive it for a couple of years before I drop a new motor in it. Any help is appreciated. THANKS.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I believe high mileage is different depending on how well the car has been taken care of. Could be as low as 90,000 on some, or as high as 170,000 on others. A car anywhere from 70,000 to 140,000 should be reasonable for what you want though.

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
i dont believe that is relevant v6stunna... OP is asking about how stock v6s handle high mileage..

the answer is.. decently well.. the upper limit is around 250k i havent heard of one with much higher than that.. if you find a 100k mile car you would be golden.. probably could get away with ~150k without too many problems but of course it always depends on how well the car is serviced, its environment, and how its treated.

·
Registered
142 Posts
My first car was a 2000 V6 and I got it in 2005 with 88,000 on it. I put on 165,000 miles without a problem before I hit a deer and totaled it last year. I highly advise this car for a first car. And to look at what high mileage is, I'd look into whether this car was a highway car or most of its life was spent in the city. If highway, it's not so bad to have high mileage. Granted some of these cars are now a decade old, you won't find one under 100,000 miles unless you get an 03/04, and even then, they are hard to find.

Stay away from cars with over 160,000, as that may be too much for a first car of this caliber. Under 140,000, you're good. Best of luck to you!

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone for your input. I don't mind putting in the work to replace anything on the motor if needed just don't want to buy a v6 and then have to do a motor swap anytime real soon. Anyone on here had to replace head gaskets? How long did it take?

·
Registered
8,348 Posts
Thanks everyone for your input. I don't mind putting in the work to replace anything on the motor if needed just don't want to buy a v6 and then have to do a motor swap anytime real soon. Anyone on here had to replace head gaskets? How long did it take?
The 99-04's were not known for headgasket failure........

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
I've seen a couple 300+K cars, one of them is on here, I think he has like 362, just take care of it and it'll take care of you, mine has not had an easy life, rental then teenagers for it's entire life, it's sitting at 118K right now doesn't burn a drop of oil and no problems with it at all, only had to replace 2 factory parts alternator (my fault, sound system) and the oh so common camshaft postion synchronizer that usually locks up in the 100-120 K range, it's a somewhat cheap fix (under 200) but that's about the only common problem with the new edge V6 stangs

Oh and if you ever do happen to replace a head gasket the guys who did my entire head/cam/intake swap only took about 8.5 hours, of course that's no ordinary crew that did the swap hahaha

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
I recommend subscribing to AutoCheck for 30 days. The reports tell you a lot about the vehicle; no of owners, where registered, accidents...

Being in Texas you don't want to end up with a rust belt car.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Also make sure you look around, low milage stangs of 03/04 can be found without too much hassle, my 04 vert had 56000 whe i got her in 08 and most was being towed behind an RV, my 03 just hit 99k today and i ride her hard, got her with like 80k both under 10grand

·
Registered
81 Posts
Heres one thing 1999-2004 Mustang V6 are know for cracked exhaust manifolds because AC drips on them or something. I got a 2002 Mustang V6 with 118,000 but with bad exhaust manifolds the car runs good just feels sluggish, had it for a year now and with some headers it should be running with no problems.

·
Registered
130 Posts
As to the head gasket question...

My first exposure to the 3.8L v6 was a neighbor's 1996. The car is still running two years later with nearly 200,000 miles.

Apparently THAT era (1st half of 4th gen, 1994-1998, single port) had issues with head gaskets. ...as in there were two kinds of '94-'98 v6's - the ones with blown gaskets and the ones which were ready to blow.

The job itself was two weekends and not much cash as the heads just needed to be cleaned up - no cracks.

The process was very educational. We got to pull everything apart and give the engine a good inspection.

I wouldn't hesitate to do the job again if I found a unit with a straight body and a recent blown gasket. You wouldn't want to get tangled up with something that had been sitting with water in the pan...

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for everyone's help. Here in Houston I have noticed quite a few older mustangs with blown head gaskets which is why I asked the question.

·
Registered
130 Posts
From what I understand, there was an issue with the gasket material and the 'torque to yeild' head bolts...

We went back with replacement Fel-Pro head gaskets and new bolts from the dealer.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Anyone have an idea how much it would cost to have the head gaskets replaced?
if it ever comes to it which is unlikely, anywhere from 300-800, it all depends on who is around you, some shops are full of nice people and are cheap some are just there to make money, look around if you are really worried about it but you shouldn't have to worry

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The only reason I keep bringing up the head gasket question is because inwas thinking about buying one with a recently blown head gasket. Should I avoid it all together or is it worth saving 1-2K?

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
The only reason I keep bringing up the head gasket question is because i was thinking about buying one with a recently blown head gasket. Should I avoid it all together or is it worth saving 1-2K?
depends, if they stopped driving it as soon as it happened then sure simple replacement should be no worries

however, if they drove it long enough with the blown gasket it got coolant in the oil, which means bearings are probably about to go spinning if enough got in there, see what you can find out about the car beside the gasket blowing, something caused it (as stated in a recently new thread) overheating is a good candidate which means something might be wrong with the cooling system etc........

if i bought one with a blown gasket i would rebuild entire motor, just to be safe and not to mention how many more miles you can get out of it since it will literally be brand new :bigthumbsup

1 - 19 of 19 Posts