Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I am looking for my Grandfather’s 1964.5 Mustang Convertible. I have the VIN, license plate number, Ford’s vehicle code number, even the original owner’s manual, but I am at loss as to how to find its current owner.

My Grandfather purchased it new from Ron Tonkin Ford in Portland, Oregon and sold it in 1991 to a local Mustang enthusiast named Ed Leach. Ed has since passed away, the car was sold, and I have had no luck trying to run the car down.

Here are the particulars on the car:

·1964 ½ Mustang Convertible
·Body : Dearborne
·Color: Prairie Bronze
·Ford’s Vehicle Warranty # 5F08F102769
·VIN # SFD8F102768
·Oregon License Plate: DAE 118
·Last known Owner: Ed Leach , Beaverton OR.

Do you have any suggestions how I might be able to find this car?

I really appreciate you taking the time!

[email protected]

·
Registered
316 Posts
You'll probably have to cross reference that information with the DMV of the state where the car is registered. It is a public record. But to get lucky with finding the correct state is the tough part. Start with the Dept of Transportation of Oregon.

·
Registered
895 Posts
That car could be anywhere, just two years ago I shipped three cars to Germany, the Aussies and the Europeans were buying up all kinds of cars. Good Luck finding it, but unless it stayed local it will be very hard. You should start checking with local car clubs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Mike. Yeah I know. Could be Germany, could be in a back yard under a tarp a mile from my house.

With 60 cars under your belt you definitely have your fingers on the pulse of the Mustang community...if you hear about a car that could be the one I am looking for, I certainly would appreciate a head's up!

·
Registered
850 Posts
Kenouderkirk, you might try hiring a title search company to help find the car, or ask a friendly Cop to check for you. I don't know if the Oregon DMV will give out any info to you. I know, from my own experience, that the Nevada DMV will not.

I'd also try contacting Ford/Mustang/Mercury car clubs in the Pacific NW.

Are you prepared to pay big bucks for it, if you find it?

Good Luck!

67ragtopStang

PS, I've sent you a Private Message.

·
Registered
895 Posts
If you have a friend in the car business (like F&I at a dealership) they might be able to run a KSR on the car and get you the info if the car has been registered in the last few years. For them to do it is a violation of most state and federal privacy laws...but it can be done.

The other thing that makes it hard is almost every convertible is painted Rangoo Red Now...

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Hi everyone,

I am looking for my Grandfather’s 1964.5 Mustang Convertible. I have the VIN, license plate number, Ford’s vehicle code number, even the original owner’s manual, but I am at loss as to how to find its current owner.

My Grandfather purchased it new from Ron Tonkin Ford in Portland, Oregon and sold it in 1991 to a local Mustang enthusiast named Ed Leach. Ed has since passed away, the car was sold, and I have had no luck trying to run the car down.

Here are the particulars on the car:

·1964 ½ Mustang Convertible
·Body : Dearborne
·Color: Prairie Bronze
·Ford’s Vehicle Warranty # 5F08F102769
·VIN # SFD8F102768
·Oregon License Plate: DAE 118
·Last known Owner: Ed Leach , Beaverton OR.

Do you have any suggestions how I might be able to find this car?

I really appreciate you taking the time!

[EMAIL="[email protected]"][email protected][/EMAIL]
I just want to point something out that seems was overlooked, the warranty number and VIN are one in the same, 5F08F102769. If you try running the S and D the way you have it listed in the VIN you will get no where as it's incorrect.

Since you know who it went to afterward it is a slight plus, even if they are deceased now. The trick is now to find out when and who it was sold too when the estate was settled. I'm sending you a PM with some additional info which may be of help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.