Ford Mustang Forum banner

Looking for a second car

1K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  JLomeStang 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I posted something about this a long time ago. My wife is getting closer to having our second child. I'm looking to get a used car under 12,000, I can probably go up to 13,000, but really don't want to spend any more.

1- 34 miles to work and 34 miles home
2- Need another car that is 4 door
3- Roomy backseat area
4- 80,000 miles or under is what I'm looking at
5- I'd love to get something that has a decent interior as well
6- Would like to get at least 23-24+ mpg for a second car.
7- A little bit of pep in the engine would be nice, just to get in and out of lanes. I am in Texas and we do have a$$hole drivers, so getting out of there way is a must as well.

Any ideas? Looking to buy in September as my wife would be heading back to work at that time.

#2 ·
Hey guys, I posted something about this a long time ago. My wife is getting closer to having our second child. I'm looking to get a used car under 12,000, I can probably go up to 13,000, but really don't want to spend any more.

1- 34 miles to work and 34 miles home
2- Need another car that is 4 door
3- Roomy backseat area
4- 80,000 miles or under is what I'm looking at
5- I'd love to get something that has a decent interior as well
6- Would like to get at least 23-24+ mpg for a second car.
7- A little bit of pep in the engine would be nice, just to get in and out of lanes. I am in Texas and we do have a$$hole drivers, so getting out of there way is a must as well.

Any ideas? Looking to buy in September as my wife would be heading back to work at that time.
I'd take a look at a used mazda 3, My wife and I have owned 3 of them now and they are great cars and you can probably find a 2-3 year old one in that price range. The one thing I will say however, is that if you are a big guy, scratch this idea all together because the seats are too small for a wide built, heavy set guy (hence, I got rid of it :)).

You can also look at a used Altima, Corolla, Sentra, Civic, Accord... I'm sure you would be happy with any one of those.

G
#3 ·
Seconded.

A Mazda 3 isn't going to have the reliability or resale of a civic but they're widely thought of as the "car-guy's commuter car". They're fun to drive for what they are and you can pick up a fairly new one for what you've budgeted.

I'd take a look at a used mazda 3, My wife and I have owned 3 of them now and they are great cars and you can probably find a 2-3 year old one in that price range. The one thing I will say however, is that if you are a big guy, scratch this idea all together because the seats are too small for a wide built, heavy set guy (hence, I got rid of it :)).

You can also look at a used Altima, Corolla, Sentra, Civic, Accord... I'm sure you would be happy with any one of those.

#4 ·
I had a 2011 Mazda 3 as a loaner when my engine tick was being fixed. The car sucked balls. While it will give you the gas milage you are looking for (barely, I was almost getting 25 with mixed driving), it didn't have the power I was used too, so I am a little biased here...I just remember trying to get on I-4 in Orlando, putting the peddle to the floor, and the car not moving...

The front seat was a little tight on me (6'0", 235lbs), but wasn't all that bad. It did have ample back seat space, and the stock sound system was surprisingly decent.

for the money you are looking to spend, I think you are going to be better of looking for an 07-08 Accord or even a Mazda 6.

#7 ·
Hence why I said if your a big guy its not comfortable, a "little" tight doesn't even represent near the truth, it's basically not sittable. I am 6 foot, 240 lbs... but if you are a normal sized person it's perfectly fine.

The car isn't fast no, but for 12 grand, "quick", or "fast" is entirely out of the picture.

And on another note, I myself would never by ANY American made car used, even though I now own a mustang, I just wouldn't recommend it (I'm not talking about a year or two, but anything older than that, hells no).

I still think the Mazda 3 would be a solid choice in that price range, but you can still compare it to a mazda 6, accord, civic, etc etc etc. I'd rather take a mazda 3 over a civic any day of the week, blek.

#10 ·
Can you point me to the policy I am violating. Corporations generally write corporate policies that are to be adhered to, If my post of asking for a good second car violates a policy from Allfordmustangs.com please let me know and I will cease to ask for simple suggestions that have no ill fated or malicious intent what so ever.

#15 ·
When My GT500 was in for the clutch TSB they put me in a Fusion and I was impressed. Seemed like a decent car. Not sure how new you could get for 13K though.

A few years ago I rented a charger. It felt good, handled good and was fair on power for the small V6. Not sure about reliability?

#16 ·
When My GT500 was in for the clutch TSB they put me in a Fusion and I was impressed. Seemed like a decent car. Not sure how new you could get for 13K though.

A few years ago I rented a charger. It felt good, handled good and was fair on power for the small V6. Not sure about reliability?

The fusion is a good car, but I've only been in 2009 and newer models, we actually considered one for the wife but ended up with a 2011 Mazda 3 Grand Touring.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.