Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I have been on here occassionally, reading and what not. Been wanting to buy a mustang for years but the marriage, baby, house, you know.........

Anyways, I found one that I looked at but wasn't running (now it is so going back to look again) and wanted to know advice on it.....like is what has been done good? what would be a reasonable price to offer, etc...

I really want to get a mustang into the 12's and have it as a strip car with the occassional one day a week driver. I found this one local and the guy seems to want to negotiate.

First, the description.......

It is a 1988 mustang GT.
The engine has been bored over to be a 308 with new pistons that has not been driven yet. It is a 5 speed with new clutch, flywheel, pressure plate, throw out bearing.
It has a new paint job.
It has trickflow heads, ARP head studs, Scorpion Roller Rockers, 24lb injectors, and GT 40 upper and lower.
Also has new BBK equal length shorty headers, catless X-pipe, subframe connectors, new water pump, power steering pump, alternator, power steering brackets, walboro 255 fuel pump, 31 spline strange axles, eaton posi, and 4:11s.

Needs coolant hoses, vacuum lines, wipers (they were taken off), tacking of the transmember, and maybe some other small odds and ends.

Asking 5K or B/O

·
Registered
370 Posts
doesnt sound bad at all but.....:postpics

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
Little steep for a non running car. However, his method of the build are good. Is it still speed density? If so Id try more like $3900.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm with spdjnky on this one!!!

Do you remember the saying, "If the glove don't fit", well, If there aren't receipts then the internals don't mean ****!!!

I got mine for less than 4k and it only has 30k original miles and immaculate paint!

My BIGGEST advice is to check the Torque Boxes and the Floor Pans!!! :bigthumbsup
Other than that ENJOY!!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
best I can see is boxes and the engine bay looks clean. I would give the interior and body both a 9/10. When I saw it though last time, it was not running and could not be put on the street. Supposedly she is running now and can be driven (though neither registered nor insured).
I didn't trust buying anything I can't drive.

On a side note, I would imagine this thing hauls if all of this is really done.

I don't wanna pay 5K for it though...so got to try and work it down to about 4K.

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
Just for stories sake I bought a car that was supposed to be a fresh 306 with forged pistons but stock and rebalanced crank and rods. Needless to say when I went to swap my TF heads on there I wiped the top of the piston which had some build up which was weird for a fresh build and lo and behold I see the stock 4 valve reliefs and see a ford part number.....AAAHHHHH. I still got a good deal but not a great deal so watch out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well we looked yesterday and she is running which is nice....definitely needs timing adjusted and for sure a tune. Valve stems are leaking in the front tires so that needs to be attended to quickly.

Can't take it far though because of no plates/registration/or insurance. He still is asking 4500 at minimum...and I am up in the air.

Does have pics and some receipts of all the work that was done.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts