Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have started collecting parts for the suspension on my 2012 V6 Performance Package and I'm looking for opinions and advice.

So far I have UMI LCA's, UMI adjustable panard bar, Steeda sport springs and Steeda HD upper strut mounts (05-10)

I'm also upgrading the shocks and struts, and I'm looking for a little help with this. Here's a description of how the car is used.

The car is my DD and it sees rough road conditions some days but not a lot. I use it on 5+ hour trips every couple weekends during the summer. I also enjoy the twisties as well as doing auto cross on the other weekends.

Because I am looking for a setup that will handle both conditions reasonably well, I am looking at some adjustable shocks and struts and some not. So far I've considered 3 different setups, the Koni STR.T, Tociko D-Specs, and Koni Sports.

Each seem to have strengths and weaknesses, since I not made of money the price is a factor.

Also I bought the Steeda parts on black friday in a bit of a rush, the springs look great on GT's but I'm a little concerned how they will look on a V6 with the lighter front end. Anyone got pics of their V6's on Steeda sports that would be great. If I end up not liking it, is there any tricks I can use to give the car a bit more rake?

Thanks for any input you can give!

·
Super Moderator
2,337 Posts
I would just leave the car like you bought it,that way you keep ALL of your warranty and no headaches with things not being right or your not happy with it.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I would think Steeda should be able to tell you what the ride height difference would be between the V6 and V8? And, since you bought Steeda springs, I would be asking them what they recommend for struts.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would think Steeda should be able to tell you what the ride height difference would be between the V6 and V8? And, since you bought Steeda springs, I would be asking them what they recommend for struts.
Steeda would be able to tell me approximately the drop, but I was looking for pictures to see what the end result is.

Not a knock against Steeda's reps, but they only sell tokico's, so I would think they might be a little biased.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
I would just leave the car like you bought it,that way you keep ALL of your warranty and no headaches with things not being right or your not happy with it.
Absolutely the worst post I've seen lately. The OP already has some components and wants to upgrade the suspension...that's right...UPGRADE. He doesn't want it stock or he wouldn't be here asking for opinions on modding. Please turn in your man-card at the door...

Steeda would be able to tell me approximately the drop, but I was looking for pictures to see what the end result is.

Not a knock against Steeda's reps, but they only sell tokico's, so I would think they might be a little biased.

The drop will not look different--compared to a GT--to the naked eye. It's definitely not going to look slammed at all. Don't worry about it. The performance will be great and you'll enjoy it. Naturally, just like with any lowered car, it will feel a bit more stiff than the bouncy/body roll of the stock suspension. Trust me, it'll put a smile on your face immediately.

From your list, you can rule out the STR.Ts as They are not adjustable. I would go with the Koni Sports personally, but both the Koni and Tociko are very nice IMO. Good luck and post some pics when you finally make a decision.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
I have the Steeda sports paired with the Koni Sports (yellows). Unless you want to do some competitive stuff, Str.T's should be fine. The Sports start out at Firm and get a lot firmer quick.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Absolutely the worst post I've seen lately. The OP already has some components and wants to upgrade the suspension...that's right...UPGRADE. He doesn't want it stock or he wouldn't be here asking for opinions on modding. Please turn in your man-card at the door...

The drop will not look different--compared to a GT--to the naked eye. It's definitely not going to look slammed at all. Don't worry about it. The performance will be great and you'll enjoy it. Naturally, just like with any lowered car, it will feel a bit more stiff than the bouncy/body roll of the stock suspension. Trust me, it'll put a smile on your face immediately.

From your list, you can rule out the STR.Ts as They are not adjustable. I would go with the Koni Sports personally, but both the Koni and Tociko are very nice IMO. Good luck and post some pics when you finally make a decision.
Thanks for commenting, I'm not gonna worry too much about the drop until it's done and settled. I'm not really worried about too low, it's more about level vs. slightly raked.

I'm looking forward to getting this done cause the nose dive and rise drives me a little nuts as well as the bouncy ride. I will have the car paid of by early next year and I don't plan to do too much to the car until then. The only reason I bought the parts I have is because of the great black Friday sales.

I am not set on adjustable if fixed dampening can accomplish everything I want. Do you have experience with STR.T's? Also the next poster comments on how stiff the yellows are, on full soft would you describe driving across a manhole cover as a bump or a jar? Also I understand the sports only adjust the rebound, how does this effect the ride.

Sorry for all the questions and thanks for the help.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have the Steeda sports paired with the Koni Sports (yellows). Unless you want to do some competitive stuff, Str.T's should be fine. The Sports start out at Firm and get a lot firmer quick.
The only real competitive stuff is the occasional autocross track.
I'll ask you the same question as the previous post. On full soft would you describe driving across a manhole cover as a bump or a jar? Also I understand the sports only adjust the rebound, how does this effect the ride.
Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Since you are not Going crazy on the Competition side, I to think the SRT.T's would be OK.
Also the drop will be about 1/2 less than the GT in the front so you can go from there :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
522 Posts
Absolutely the worst post I've seen lately. The OP already has some components and wants to upgrade the suspension...that's right...UPGRADE. He doesn't want it stock or he wouldn't be here asking for opinions on modding. Please turn in your man-card at the door....
+1 :bigthumbsup, I have to agree with YerBuddysPony!

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Thanks for commenting, I'm not gonna worry too much about the drop until it's done and settled. I'm not really worried about too low, it's more about level vs. slightly raked.

I'm looking forward to getting this done cause the nose dive and rise drives me a little nuts as well as the bouncy ride. I will have the car paid of by early next year and I don't plan to do too much to the car until then. The only reason I bought the parts I have is because of the great black Friday sales.

I am not set on adjustable if fixed dampening can accomplish everything I want. Do you have experience with STR.T's? Also the next poster comments on how stiff the yellows are, on full soft would you describe driving across a manhole cover as a bump or a jar? Also I understand the sports only adjust the rebound, how does this effect the ride.

Well with new shocks struts you need new mounts if not caster/camber plates... Look up bc racing br coil overs. Years ago they were called chinese crap but now nsx, evo and sti track guys run them and love them and compare em to their good stuff like tein or something. They already come with strut mounts. Plus you can adjust ride height, compression and rebound and custom order spring rate and stuff. And just sell your springs. Play with the numbers and do research.
I am torn between koni sports and bc racing br coil overs. But i want to keep close to stock height but stiffer...
Plus i am not even looking at srt.t because if i everget into racing i will want the adjustables. I am starting to go by, buy right buy once type deal

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
HOW can you own a mustang amd not want to mod it xP

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well with new shocks struts you need new mounts if not caster/camber plates... Look up bc racing br coil overs. Years ago they were called chinese crap but now nsx, evo and sti track guys run them and love them and compare em to their good stuff like tein or something. They already come with strut mounts. Plus you can adjust ride height, compression and rebound and custom order spring rate and stuff. And just sell your springs. Play with the numbers and do research.
I am torn between koni sports and bc racing br coil overs. But i want to keep close to stock height but stiffer...
Plus i am not even looking at srt.t because if i everget into racing i will want the adjustables. I am starting to go by, buy right buy once type deal
I already have Steeda HD stut mounts/CC plates.

I think coilovers are deffinitley over kill for my application. I do like the idea of individual adjustment of compression and rebound which neither the Koni Yellow or the Tokico's have. I'm just not sure about using unknown brands like that. You go for it and let us all know how it works out.

I know what you mean about buying once, that is part of the reason I was looking at adjustables.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts

I have Steeda Sports and Koni STR.Ts. I love the combination. Like I said, it will definitely feel a little more stiff, but nothing too bad. I'm over 50 and have had 3 major back surgeries in the past few years. I'm still having issues, but I don't complain when I'm in the drivers seat. It drives very well and feels better than several other lowered cars I've had in the past 20 years. It also severely reduced the nose drive and haunch squat. It also reduced my wheel hop...so much so that I didn't replace the LCAs.

Anyway, this is what mine looks like...yours should be the same with those springs/dampers:

With 18" AMRs:

In the shot below you can see the wheel gap on mine compared to stock with the Mustang on the left (next to mine also a 2012 GT with 18" wheels):

...and, just for giggles, this is after one of my back surgeries (I call it FrankenBuddy):

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

·
Registered
343 Posts
Hi, I have started collecting parts for the suspension on my 2012 V6 Performance Package and I'm looking for opinions and advice.

So far I have UMI LCA's, UMI adjustable panard bar, Steeda sport springs and Steeda HD upper strut mounts (05-10)

I'm also upgrading the shocks and struts, and I'm looking for a little help with this. Here's a description of how the car is used.

The car is my DD and it sees rough road conditions some days but not a lot. I use it on 5+ hour trips every couple weekends during the summer. I also enjoy the twisties as well as doing auto cross on the other weekends.

Because I am looking for a setup that will handle both conditions reasonably well, I am looking at some adjustable shocks and struts and some not. So far I've considered 3 different setups, the Koni STR.T, Tociko D-Specs, and Koni Sports.

Each seem to have strengths and weaknesses, since I not made of money the price is a factor.

Also I bought the Steeda parts on black friday in a bit of a rush, the springs look great on GT's but I'm a little concerned how they will look on a V6 with the lighter front end. Anyone got pics of their V6's on Steeda sports that would be great. If I end up not liking it, is there any tricks I can use to give the car a bit more rake?

Thanks for any input you can give!
I think that it will depend on your budget. With KONI you can not go wrong. If you are on a tight budget but want a great improvement on your handling for a low cost: STRT, if you want to have the Advantage of adjustment, step up for KONI sport (yellows). Contact Sam Strano he can give you a good advice, you already have the Steeda sport springs, those will be a great combination for this set up.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have Steeda Sports and Koni STR.Ts. I love the combination. Like I said, it will definitely feel a little more stiff, but nothing too bad. I'm over 50 and have had 3 major back surgeries in the past few years. I'm still having issues, but I don't complain when I'm in the drivers seat. It drives very well and feels better than several other lowered cars I've had in the past 20 years. It also severely reduced the nose drive and haunch squat. It also reduced my wheel hop...so much so that I didn't replace the LCAs.

Anyway, this is what mine looks like...yours should be the same with those springs/dampers:

With 18" AMRs:

In the shot below you can see the wheel gap on mine compared to stock with the Mustang on the left (next to mine also a 2012 GT with 18" wheels):

...and, just for giggles, this is after one of my back surgeries (I call it FrankenBuddy):

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content
Wow thanks for the pictures. Your car looks great! The surgery not so much, if the car is still tollerable for you I'm sure I won't have a problem with it.

I was originally leaning towards the tokicos but with all the good resoponses with the str.t I might go that way. I'm not sure I do enough track days and twisty back roads to justify the 750 or more for the sports.

Its one of those things, you start out at srt.t then the tokicos are only like 100 more then if your doing you should just spend the 200 more and do it right. Man I wish I was rich lol.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think that it will depend on your budget. With KONI you can not go wrong. If you are on a tight budget but want a great improvement on your handling for a low cost: STRT, if you want to have the Advantage of adjustment, step up for KONI sport (yellows). Contact Sam Strano he can give you a good advice, you already have the Steeda sport springs, those will be a great combination for this set up.
If I'm still not sure when I go to make the purchase I will. Since I'm not purchasing for a month or two, I don't really like phoning companies knowing I have no intention of making a purchase at the time.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Wow thanks for the pictures. Your car looks great! The surgery not so much, if the car is still tollerable for you I'm sure I won't have a problem with it.

I was originally leaning towards the tokicos but with all the good resoponses with the str.t I might go that way. I'm not sure I do enough track days and twisty back roads to justify the 750 or more for the sports.

Its one of those things, you start out at srt.t then the tokicos are only like 100 more then if your doing you should just spend the 200 more and do it right. Man I wish I was rich lol.

No problem. You won't regret saving a little cash with the STR.Ts.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts