Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just registered on the site, wanted to hop in to get some ideas for the direction I want to take my new 06GT.

I'm looking to start with either Hurst Billet Competition Plus Mustang Shifter (05-10 GT) at AmericanMuscle - Free Shipping! or Roush Mustang Short Throw Shifter (05-09 GT) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!. Are there any big advantages to the Roush shifter over the Hurst? If so I'd like to jump on it with their Memorial Day sale going on. With the Hurst the description says it lacks the centering springs to guide it back into 3rd; has anyone had any real issues with this, or do you not even notice it when you get used to it?

I'll be looking at the usual culprits next- intake, headers and exhaust. Any clearcut advantages between brands here? Right now I'm looking at the BBK tuned ceramic headers and probably the FR500S mufflers. I had them with the dual exhaust conversion kit I put in my 2010 V6 and they sounded amazing; I can imagine they would sound even better on a V8. My only question about them is what is the difference between the 05-09 set and the 2010 set...I thought the only changes between those years was the styling overhaul; did they change the way the exhaust was routed too so you need a different hangar/piping configuration on the 10s?

Lastly (for now) what about intakes? There's such a wide margin between prices on these, but is there really enough of a difference between Ford Racing Mustang GT Tuner Intake Kit (05-09 GT) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping and Steeda Cold Air Intake Kit w/ Carbon Fiber Inlet Elbow (05-09 Mustang GT) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping! to justify the $280 difference in price?

One other thing I just thought of; I still have the X3 tuner I used on my V6, but I wasn't able to return it to stock when I traded it because I put gears in it and needed to have a custom tune loaded to keep the speedo correct. Is my tuner now a brick, or is there some way to clear it so I can use it on my GT?

·
Registered
784 Posts
welcome to the site.

Any shifter you buy will be better than stock, usually its personal preference for which ever you choose. The hurst shifters have a rattling problem, just to let you know. If you want the best look up MGW.

For headers, you want to pick something with good quality, ARH, Kooks and ford racing should be good, although a little more pricey. You get what you pay for.

JLT and C&L are the more popular CAIs. the difference between those two you posted is that the steeda is carbcon fiber elbow which ups the price, also that it comes with a new elbow unlike the ford one. either way you'll need a new tune with either.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
One other thing I just thought of; I still have the X3 tuner I used on my V6, but I wasn't able to return it to stock when I traded it because I put gears in it and needed to have a custom tune loaded to keep the speedo correct. Is my tuner now a brick, or is there some way to clear it so I can use it on my GT?
It's a brick for now but you can return it to SCT and have them clear it for I believe a $150 fee. Just call SCT and they can explain the options and pricing.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
Great to have you with us :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
636 Posts
Grats on the 'new' GT. I just picked up my 'new' '05 GT last night.

Needless to say I actually looked forward to driving my car to work for the first time time in a long time today :bigthumbsup Perfect timing too... got my car right as the rain moved in and I wouldn't be able to take the motorcycle to work. Now I just have to bring it back to the dealer and hope they will take a look at it since I noticed slight vibs at 75-80 and a clearly blown speaker that had gone unnoticed during the test drive.

Glad you asked all the questions you did as they are pretty much all the questions I had lined up to ask in a few weeks once I rebuild my savings a bit and can afford some parts. Enjoy the car, I know I am so far!

One question: Is there any reason you didn't mention the steeda tri-ax short throw as an option? I haven't done much research into the different short throws that are available yet so maybe there is a reason you didn't mention it... just figured I'd ask since that was one of the options I was going to look into..

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Welcome aboard.

I cant speak on the shifters, but for the CAIs, JLT and C&L seem to be the most popular on this site. I went with the JLT from AM. Paid $209 with free shipping. Love it! Made a nice difference and was super easy to install, under 30min and I was taking my time. Also made the car sound better.

As for the tuner, you'll need one for most of the intakes that make nice power.

If you can have SCT re-do your tuner for $150, I'd say go for it. Save you $200+ dollars.:bigthumbsup

Also you may want to consider getting some rear gears. I think gears are the best bang for the buck mod there is (other than superchargers but thats a whole lotta bucks) 4.10s turned mine into a different car. Usually cost between $150-$200 but install can be pricey, but worth it

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome aboard.

I cant speak on the shifters, but for the CAIs, JLT and C&L seem to be the most popular on this site. I went with the JLT from AM. Paid $209 with free shipping. Love it! Made a nice difference and was super easy to install, under 30min and I was taking my time. Also made the car sound better.

As for the tuner, you'll need one for most of the intakes that make nice power.

If you can have SCT re-do your tuner for $150, I'd say go for it. Save you $200+ dollars.:bigthumbsup

Also you may want to consider getting some rear gears. I think gears are the best bang for the buck mod there is (other than superchargers but thats a whole lotta bucks) 4.10s turned mine into a different car. Usually cost between $150-$200 but install can be pricey, but worth it
Yeah, I put 373s in the v6 I traded in, and even in the smaller car they really woke it up. But one of the reasons I went with an 06 GT was that they come stock with 355s, so I'll probably stick with them for a while.

I know the JLt & C&L are popular, but is there really that much of a performance gain to be had to make them worth the price increase over one offered by Ford Racing?

I was also wondering, how easy is it to work on these cars? I did all the work on my v6- installed the intake, headers, dual exhaust conversion and rebuilt the rear end with the 373s (PAIN in the a$$); I'd like to do the same with this one as I think half the fun of modding a car is in getting to pull out the tools and get your hands greasy :smoke:

·
Registered
833 Posts
It looks like the FRPP just includes the intake and not a bigger Mass Air Meter. The stock Mass Air I think is 80mm. So, you will get noticably better performance with the Steeda which is 95mm. Steeda, JLT, C and L are all good and about the same power gains.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I`ll throw my .02 cents in as well.

Shifter - MGW or Steeda TriAx
Gears - FRPP 4.10
CAI - JLT or C&L
Headers - Long Tubes for hp gain, Shorties for looks

Mustangs and mods - Welcome to the madness!

·
Registered
784 Posts
I`ll throw my .02 cents in as well.

Shifter - MGW or Steeda TriAx
Gears - FRPP 4.10
CAI - JLT or C&L
Headers - Long Tubes for hp gain, Shorties for looks

Mustangs and mods - Welcome to the madness!
i love my tri-ax, the sound of slamming it into the gears is nice.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I'd like to do the same with this one as I think half the fun of modding a car is in getting to pull out the tools and get your hands greasy :smoke:
Hell yeah. Only time my cars ever go to a shop is A) when it's under warrenty or B) when it needs **** like tires balanced, allignment (hell I even do my own allignments on my Jeep), and other precision stuff that I can't do in my driveway. Working on cars is easily half the fun. Get a welder and there is even more fun to be had :shigrin

1 - 14 of 14 Posts