Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With any luck, I'll have my prep work finished and I hope to be painting my car this coming weekend. However, I haven't been able to decide on how exactly I want to paint it. I do want to paint it back the factory color (Med. Charcoal Metallic). I have also already bought the paint. Attached is a picture before I took it apart.

When I started planning this project nearly 10 years ago I planned on painting everything that is black now back as it was except for the hood, as I had always envisioned putting black racing stripes (approx. 8" wide each w/ 1-1/2" gap) on it that wrapped all the way from the bottom of the front bumper to the bottom of the back. I had planned to leave a small gap between the black moldings and the black stripes. In doing so, I think that having the horizontal lines of the molding with the vertical lines created by the racing stripes may make it too busy. My idea to solve that problem would be to paint the moldings with the body color and let the stripes run uninterrupted, but I can't really picture it in my head and not sure if it will look good. I'm afraid that the side of the car will then look to plain. I don't know that I've seen any 4-eyed mustangs painted with stripes, at least not full ones, to use as a reference. All the cars I have seen with racing stripes either have the moldings the same color as the rest of the car or they don't have moldings at all.

I've also thought about ending the stripes at the front of the hood and at the end of the hatch, but I've always thought it looked "unfinished".

Does anybody have any suggestions to make the stripes look right? Am I on the right track? Or should I just paint it back like it is/was with the center of the hood black, which I'm not entirely opposed to? Something else to consider is that I may add a cowl hood later on. I think that the stripes would look better with the cowl hood.

I appreciate any comments/suggestions. Wish me luck on getting it done this weekend. I've had this thing torn apart for over a year now and I'm having withdrawls.

Attachments

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
It would look best with the body moldings painted the same color as the car. It wouldn't look right to have a custom striped paintjob and then a flat black beltline around it.
I would also say to continue the stripes all the way down if you think it looks incomplete. I've seen both styles, and if done right the style that doesn't continue the stripe all the way down doesn't look incomplete. It looks incomplete if the body seams are what's dividing it. If the stripes are marked off and painted that way, then it looks fine.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was planning to clearcoat the trim so there wouldn't be any flat black, it would all be gloss. Would the stripes look ok with having the area around the headlights, window trim, mirrors and sail panels painted black also? I may be thinking about this too hard.

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
If you go that route, make the black part of the scheme. That would mean the black around the glass and headlights need to be done the same way. If you do it this way, it'd be good. It's when some try to take out the black here but leave the black there which is when it looks wrong.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
i think it would look good to keep the moldings black (or flat black) and do the center of the hood flat black.

im also not a fan of racing stripes, but if you did go that route, i think you should paint the moldings the same color as the car and have the stripes go all the way from front to back. and i wouldnt do anything to the sides, it would look to busy like you said.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I went out earlier and decided to try some "masking tape stripes" on the front bumper cover to see if it would help give me visual. After seeing this I'm not sure I want to do the stripes now. Maybe its just that sanded bumpers and masking tape looks like crap, but it didn't look as good as I was trying to imagine. The bumper was also off the car on a stand, which probably didn't help either. I'm seriously considering painting the car as it was before, I was just looking for something different.

Its hard to tell in the pic I posted before because it's so dusty, but the center of the hood is actually black. That picture was taken probably moments after I finished putting the car back together from my 5-lug swap.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.