Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen my valve covers slowly get ugly. I know kj_cinci is going to put on his P&P heads so maybe he has an answer! ...? I haven't been a Ford man for many years so I don't know if the early 4.6 2v engine has the same covers.

What have you guys found for performance valve covers for the GT that will stay nice lookin' ?

I would like to see several options. Thank you, Rustang

·
Registered
263 Posts
Gig4Fun said:
I have seen my valve covers slowly get ugly. I know kj_cinci is going to put on his P&P heads so maybe he has an answer! ...? I haven't been a Ford man for many years so I don't know if the early 4.6 2v engine has the same covers.

What have you guys found for performance valve covers for the GT that will stay nice lookin' ?

I would like to see several options. Thank you, Rustang
I took mine off, sand and prep and then primed and painted them. They look really good up close. But, I am having them powder coated in the next few weeks.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nbk13nw said:
I took mine off, sand and prep and then primed and painted them. They look really good up close. But, I am having them powder coated in the next few weeks.
Did you replace any gaskets? Would you suggest it?

·
Registered
897 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Heh, I like the 2000 grit and polish job AND the ford Blue paint! so ... I think I will polish mine myself. Can they be sprayed with anything to seal them? Can they be ceramic coated to keep the shine. I know my bike needs a lot of maintanace on the polished aluminum parts and it would be nice to not have to do them ever again... you know, polish and seal them with something. Any ideas?

·
Registered
897 Posts
Gig4Fun said:
Heh, I like the 2000 grit and polish job AND the ford Blue paint! so ... I think I will polish mine myself. Can they be sprayed with anything to seal them? Can they be ceramic coated to keep the shine. I know my bike needs a lot of maintanace on the polished aluminum parts and it would be nice to not have to do them ever again... you know, polish and seal them with something. Any ideas?
You can clearcoat them but with the heat in an engine compartment they might darken.

·
Registered
40 Posts
How much of a paint in the butt are they to remove?

Any oil spill out?
New gaskests necessary?

·
Registered
357 Posts
BillR said:
How much of a paint in the butt are they to remove?

Any oil spill out?
New gaskests necessary?
Not the easiest thing to do...but simple. Takes some time with the 15 or so bolts on each cover.

No oil will spill except maybe for a few drops when you take the covers off.

I got new gaskets and put them in when I replaced the covers. However, I inspected the original gaskets at the time (I only had about 6k miles on the car at that time) and they looked new. If I hadn't already bought the gaskets I would have used the old ones.

·
Registered
164 Posts
thump_rrr said:
I removed and sanded the valve covers down to 2000 grit then polished them.

my valve covers

My Car Domain Page
I've been wanting to do the same thing. I love the look. How long did it take you ? A good afternoon? Per cover?

·
Registered
897 Posts
2006GT said:
I've been wanting to do the same thing. I love the look. How long did it take you ? A good afternoon? Per cover?
Total of 2 hours per cover including removal and installation

1 - 11 of 11 Posts