Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm new here so this is my first post, I've been lurking for a while though.

I am looking to purchase the metal linkage that goes between the shifter and the transmission itself (the linkage that actually engages the gears). Specifically, I need the plastic & rubber bushing parts from the front of it (where it joins to the transmission), but I suppose I'll have to buy the whole thing. New/salvage doesn't matter I just need these bushings asap because my shifter has ton's of left/right play in it at the moment.

The problem occurred when I took my Mustang (2006 GT btw) into the dealer to have some bearings in the transmission + the clutch replaced. Before I took it in, my shifter was tight as could be; however afterwards it now has tons of left/right play in it and is very distracting. Upon inspection, I noticed the rubber bushing + I believe some kind of plastic sleeve/bushing is missing from where the little shifter arm connects to the transmission. I took it back in, but they were pretty adamant that everything was fine (which is not the case, I'm sure they just don't want to deal with it). I cannot, for the life of me, find this part ANYWHERE! I don't want to have to, but I had an idea of jury-rigging something with metal washers and perhaps a rubber hose seal (like for a garden hose).

I've attached an annotated picture for further clarification of what I'm talking about. Any help in finding this would be sincerely appreciated!

Attachments

·
Banned
12,436 Posts
do you have an aftermarket shifter? If so you might try contacting whoever made it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, I don't, that picture is just one I found online everything on my car is completely stock. I considered the idea of purchasing an aftermarket shifter to correct the problem, but the problem is every single one has you reuse that shifter arm..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmm, I still think those are for Hurst's classic car shifters, perhaps someone else could shed some light on that? They don't make any mention of that rubber seal/gasket looking part

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I just looked at my stock shifter- the part you need is re-used when installing an aftermarket shifter. Have you tried the dealer?

Frank

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, thats what sucks about it as I can't just simply buy a shifter. The dealer is the one that lost those pieces in the first place, and they said "everything is normal" when I took it back so no luck there.... I checked on fordparts.com and didn't have any luck there either..

·
Registered
12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Unfortunately that doesn't include the linkage rod that I need ): Look at the picture I attached for what I'm talking about, it's not the shifter itself that I need, it's that linkage, specifically the plastic & rubber bushings from it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts