Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 99 GT convertible (manual) and let me say that I absolutely love it, but there are a few issues that I am looking to get resolved, and I'm hoping you guys can point me in the right direction.

1. Clicking noise. This usually only happens shifting from first to second or second to third. It seems to be coming from the dash, but I'm not certain. It is not very loud but its noticeable in the driver seat.

2. The previous owner had the car lowered, and I'm not sure if they cut the springs or used an aftermarket set. Either way, its a bit too low for my taste as going over some speed bumps the SFC hits and driveways can be a nuisance. I would like to purchase the stock springs from a reputable place if possible.

3. There is a dash light on sometimes. Its all the way to the right of the console and looks like a water jug with an X in the middle. It only comes on sometimes as I said, but I'm concerned since I dont have a manual to consult.

Any info would be greatly appreciated guys and thanks for letting me into your wonderful community.

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
99 Convertible

OK, first of all, Welcome to AFM!

1. Our cars have a mechanical clutch, ie, there is a cable that is operating the clutch when you hit the pedal. This cable attaches to a triagular shaped nylon plastic part called a "quadrant" that gives mechanical advantage based on its shape and fits between the top of the pedal and the cable. These parts can make a noise. Be advised that this plastic component is frequently replaced with a heavy duty adjustable cable - firewall adjuster - and aluminum quadrant because of problems with the weak OE component. People accustomed to more modern vehicles that use hydraulic slave cylinder activated clutches find the noise of the mechanical bits moving unusual - its not. Of course, the 2005-up Mustangs now have hydraulic clutches...

2. I would recommend you consider the springs sold by FRPP (Ford Racing Performance Parts). In all likelihood your car was equipped with springs that dropped it TOO MUCH (a frequent occurance - if I had to predict, I'd say they used Eibach's Pro Kit, which will drop it at least 1.5 - 2.0"). The OE parts are easily found on Ebay for next to nothing, should that be your decision, or for considerably more from any parts place, but DO replace the rubber isolators (they have a lot to do with isolating vibration and noise from the body) at the same time.

3. Hmmm, not where I can get to a manual or look at my car right now, but it sounds like you are either low on coolant or windshield washer fluid. I'd check ALL fluid levels, and if the oil looks black, do a complete fluids change (oil, brake fluid, coolant, transmission lube, rear end lube, etc). Assume they have NOT been kept up to date, and you won't be far wrong. I recommend the use of synthethic lubricants throughout EXCEPT for the brake fluid.

stan

I recently bought a 99 GT convertible (manual) and let me say that I absolutely love it, but there are a few issues that I am looking to get resolved, and I'm hoping you guys can point me in the right direction.

1. Clicking noise. This usually only happens shifting from first to second or second to third. It seems to be coming from the dash, but I'm not certain. It is not very loud but its noticeable in the driver seat.

2. The previous owner had the car lowered, and I'm not sure if they cut the springs or used an aftermarket set. Either way, its a bit too low for my taste as going over some speed bumps the SFC hits and driveways can be a nuisance. I would like to purchase the stock springs from a reputable place if possible.

3. There is a dash light on sometimes. Its all the way to the right of the console and looks like a water jug with an X in the middle. It only comes on sometimes as I said, but I'm concerned since I dont have a manual to consult.

Any info would be greatly appreciated guys and thanks for letting me into your wonderful community.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, first of all, Welcome to AFM!

1. Our cars have a mechanical clutch, ie, there is a cable that is operating the clutch when you hit the pedal. This cable attaches to a triagular shaped nylon plastic part called a "quadrant" that gives mechanical advantage based on its shape and fits between the top of the pedal and the cable. These parts can make a noise. Be advised that this plastic component is frequently replaced with a heavy duty adjustable cable - firewall adjuster - and aluminum quadrant because of problems with the weak OE component. People accustomed to more modern vehicles that use hydraulic slave cylinder activated clutches find the noise of the mechanical bits moving unusual - its not. Of course, the 2005-up Mustangs now have hydraulic clutches...

2. I would recommend you consider the springs sold by FRPP (Ford Racing Performance Parts). In all likelihood your car was equipped with springs that dropped it TOO MUCH (a frequent occurance - if I had to predict, I'd say they used Eibach's Pro Kit, which will drop it at least 1.5 - 2.0"). The OE parts are easily found on Ebay for next to nothing, should that be your decision, or for considerably more from any parts place, but DO replace the rubber isolators (they have a lot to do with isolating vibration and noise from the body) at the same time.

3. Hmmm, not where I can get to a manual or look at my car right now, but it sounds like you are either low on coolant or windshield washer fluid. I'd check ALL fluid levels, and if the oil looks black, do a complete fluids change (oil, brake fluid, coolant, transmission lube, rear end lube, etc). Assume they have NOT been kept up to date, and you won't be far wrong. I recommend the use of synthethic lubricants throughout EXCEPT for the brake fluid.

stan

thanks for the info!

I checked the fluids as you suggested and it seems the coolant is low and dirty I think (bottom of the reservoir is very dark). I also checked the washer fluid since no stream was coming from the jets. It seemed full but when I moved it, the level dropped. Unfortunately, while trying to troubleshoot the problem I cracked the plastic piece near the jets (junk yard time). Filled the washer fluid reservoir and it started working. So I am heading to autozone to pick up some coolant and hopefully that fixes the problem. Should I drain the coolant first and if so, how do I do that?

·
Registered
33 Posts
My 97' GT I just got needed to be flushed twice before starting to look clear. I plan on flushing it once a year. I'm not a fan of less than perfect fluids.

G

·
the coolant lite could be from the float being stuck in the tank, common problem and you'll prob have to remove the DeGas bottle to clean and free-up the float, or buy a new one....if the coil springs are stock Ford, there will be a paper ID tag on them wth a set of #'s that will aid in getting a new set of OEM springs, or a set of 2001 Bullitt springs, which alot of people prefer....and last, that "clicking" sound could be the clutch quadrant, look and sea if it was replaced wth an aftermarket one, if not it could be a worn shaft or the bushings that support the shaft.........

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.