Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats up guys. im doing my home work for my build. i want to know if any one knows if whipple or kb make a biger super charger then the 2,8 and the 2.3 for our 3v. i wana be able to up the boost and not have to worry about it peaking out at 20psi or 25psi looking to make more then 650rwhp

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I don't think they MAKE superchargers bigger than 2.8 for our 3v's, however, Whipple sells up to 8.3L blowers.

Whipple Industries

·
Registered
806 Posts
whats up guys. im doing my home work for my build. i want to know if any one knows if whipple or kb make a biger super charger then the 2,8 and the 2.3 for our 3v. i wana be able to up the boost and not have to worry about it peaking out at 20psi or 25psi looking to make more then 650rwhp
whipple makes a 3.4l blower i believe but not sure if its for the 3v......

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
i wana be able to up the boost and not have to worry about it peaking out at 20psi or 25psi looking to make more then 650rwhp
Build it right and you can make that much power without needing that much boost, so you don't really need a bigger blower. I'm only at 18 psi max with my centri...no need for more.

·
Registered
9,239 Posts
Your thinking is sound. I will probably be pulling my 2.6L KB (which is good for an EASY pump gas 650hp) and going with a 2.9L or 3.4L Whipple over the winter. It will take a custom intake though....which I will have in production my fall.:bigthumbsup

I would NEVER buy another KB blower again!:nono:

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Your thinking is sound. I will probably be pulling my 2.6L KB (which is good for an EASY pump gas 650hp) and going with a 2.9L or 3.4L Whipple over the winter. It will take a custom intake though....which I will have in production my fall.:bigthumbsup

I would NEVER buy another KB blower again!:nono:
Whipple is the way to go. Why are you so dissatisfied with your KB?

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
not have to worry about it peaking out at 20psi or 25psi looking to make more then 650rwhp
What's the endgame? What you want to do with all those ponies? At 650+, you are no longer modding the car....you're rebuilding the thing from stem to stern....unless you're just dynoracing.

I don't give a squat about hp numbers, but at 22 lbs my 76mm turbo must have been putting out 700+ rear wheel, to push the brick to 136 mph in the 1/4.

Think the new build includes 25-27 lbs boost with that 76mm, and really don't think about hp....dream about low 9s...lol

·
Registered
9,239 Posts
Whipple is the way to go. Why are you so dissatisfied with your KB?
Oh, don’t get me started!

There are no O-rings. Everything on it is sealed with RTV. It’s about impossible to get apart (I had to pry the blower off the intake with a 2x4!), it takes FOREVER to clean the RTV off an put it back together. If it had O-rings you could pull the blower, do something with it and put it back on in 15-20min. The way it is set up it takes hours.

The chuck belts like mad. I made my own 10 rib kit for it.

The plate between the blower and then intake is so thin that is bends when removing the blower and when it is turning at high RPM its pulling the snout toward the crank which contributes to the belt problems. I made a new mounting plate.

The elbow is so close to the body of the blower you can’t run any aftermarket TB’s without modification unless it’s a KB TB (which are junk). I modded my FRPP TB.

The intercooler ports are HORRIBLE! You can even see them let alone get a tool on the fittings when the intake is on the car. They neck down to a 3/8NPT street elbow which is a huge restriction. Modding the intercooler setup is no easy task either, even with a full machine shop. Not to mention it would take forever because it is all held together with F%$&ING RTV! Grrrrrrrrrrr! I’ve band aid’ed my IC system by putting a BIG pump on it and force feeding it a lot of water.

The bypass valve is not big enough.

You can never get anyone on the phone down there. And even when you do they are clueless. Their customer service/tech blows (haha, I made a supercharger joke).

Just a few examples of many.

The only things I like are that the Air filter is under the passenger headlight and not in the engine compartment. And the compressor (blower) is very efficient.

I’m either going with a Whipple or a stock GT500 blower and twin turbo’s.

·
Registered
9,239 Posts
At 650+, you are no longer modding the car....you're rebuilding the thing from stem to stern.
Tell me about it! I've modded EVERYTHING on my car to support big HP numbers in the real world. And I'm not done. My fuel system alone is over $3000!:nogrinner

I should have lesft it at 450hp.:shigrin

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
one thing i do love is all the knowledge that every one has and how much you learn.i have done alot of susspenceion work .ect Tokico's D-Spec adjustable shocks.eibach springs,lca and adj panhard bar by bmr.i dont want to cut up my car for a roll cage and other safety mods to do 10sec or 9s, i wana run at the track and also have some thing to chase those cobras with:gringreen..i was thinking about a tt kit. just alot of pipeing. i know that you can put 3.4L whipple on but you have to do alot of custome work. they make them for the 03,04 cobras with the 4.6 4v. i just dont know why they dont for our 3v:?:

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Now you need to learn to spell and use the caps key on your keyboard. That is if expect some one to try and read that mess.

·
Registered
9,239 Posts
one thing i do love is all the knowledge that every one has and how much you learn.i have done alot of susspenceion work .ect Tokico's D-Spec adjustable shocks.eibach springs,lca and adj panhard bar by bmr.i dont want to cut up my car for a roll cage and other safety mods to do 10sec or 9s, i wana run at the track and also have some thing to chase those cobras with:gringreen..i was thinking about a tt kit. just alot of pipeing. i know that you can put 3.4L whipple on but you have to do alot of custome work. they make them for the 03,04 cobras with the 4.6 4v. i just dont know why they dont for our 3v:?:
This fall I will be making a verry modded version of this intake to work with the 3.4L Whipple and the 4.6L 3v. I'm calling it the "R Spec".
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...98-will-gt500-supercharger-fit-4-6-gt-31.html

The test unit is going on my car.

All you would need is the Whipple 3.4L "Tuner Kit" and the "R Spec" manifold. Once you get all the lines, injectors, etc it will end up being slightly more expensive than getting a big KB kit out of the box. But as a package the big KB kit won't hold a candle to a billet intake with a STUPID BIG intercooler, custom engine coolant hose routing for more even cylinder head cooling and the big daddy 3.4L Whipple.:bigthumbsup

It will be a big deal application though. It will require 1/2" shorter engine mounts and some sort of taller hood.

There will also be a dedicated 10 rib belt drive system for the combo.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i know im sorry. i cant spell and the computer is about 10 years old....i have a 2.5inch cowl hood on my car alread. how are u able to make such an intake to fit our cars?

·
Registered
9,239 Posts

·
Registered
9,239 Posts
quick shift: are your goals still for 650+ rwhp for less than $13k? :?: (budget per post below)

If so I think you might want to lower your power goals or else find more $
650rwhp for $13K. Only if you pull the 4.6, sell EVERYTHING and put a big block on the bottle in it.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
The law of dimensioning returns. The more you put in the smaller the improvement. $3500 for 450rwhp more than $13500 for 650rwhp.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
heres a rough price list . stroker 5.0 kit 2185 by probe ind, 1200 to have my block bored ect, 2000 levernoise stage 3 heads,+ 8000 for the tt setup or the 3.4L whipple if i can find a way to put it on. bottom line is i dont want to be stoped b.c the whipple is maxed out. thats why i was leaning twards the tt setup

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I'd budget for clutch / torque converter, transmission, rearend, fasteners, fuel system, dyno time, gaskets, gauges, ds loop, etc. You can't just build a big hp car with engine parts and leave the rest alone.

Heck, I don't know what else, look at my profile, sqidd's, etc. Seems like you might need a tad more change :yup:

Or else go with the GT500 supercharger kit for your 4.6 :bigthumbsup

I think you'll be more than happy with that. No stroker needed, tt's, heads, etc.

·
Registered
9,239 Posts
Heck, I don't know what else, look at my profile, sqidd's, etc. Seems like you might need a tad more change :yup:
I couldn’t possibly add up all the little odds and ends. But I roughed it in at one point. Starting from a stock 4.6L making 650rwhp will cost approx. $20K+ all in. And that’s a “soft” number.

It’s the little things that kill you:

Head studs $420
Balancer $400
Head gaskets $150 (look were at $1000 already)
Fuel system done correctly $2500
Heat exchanger $600
Radiator $600
Throttle body $600+
Tuning $600 (look, now were at $5900!)
Headers and mid pipe $1000+
Cams $700
Engine mounts $150
Clutch $1000
Tuner $400-650
Gauges $1000+ (now were at $10K and still no blower, lower end, heads……)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts