Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of doing a 73 Mach 1 "throw back" project on a 93 GT Convertible Fox Body. The car started as a 4 cylinder five speed LX. It now has a 331 Stroker, based from a 72 Mexican block, and a re-manufactured Ford Racing HD T-5. I have a fiberglass Mach 1 style hood, with twist style NOS Mach 1 hood pins. I have the fender badges, and have a local graphics designer that will make the Mach 1 vinyl decals to fit the 93.

I am currently trying to find the right old "Sport Bullet" mirrors similar to that which was on the 73. I have been told that there are different mounting bases, all with different angles, from 69-70, 71-73, 74-78 as well as Mustang vs Cougar vs Torrinoes.

I don't mind paying a decent price for the mirror that will fit, but I hate to pay $100 plus per mirror, only to find that they will not fit.

Is there anyone else out there that has tried this crazy idea? Anyone who knows what year and style will require the least modification to fit?

As time goes, I am hoping to change the rear tail lights and area to more appear like that of the 73, including a rear filling fuel tank or cell. Then, perhaps try to make the front end in the same manner. As money and time allows...

·
Registered
912 Posts
thats alot of work, do you have any pics? and are you looking to get mach 1 mirrors or the easyst to make them work on the fox? i have a 73 mach 1 in the body shop at work i can take some pictures or measurements for you if thats what you need, ill just have to double check and see if theres still mirrors on it.. lol

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I would like to have the 73 Mach 1 mirrors, keeping with the throwback theme, but if they don't fit...

I would appreciate it if you could give me an idea of what the degree of angle is where the mirror mounts on the 73.

The car has had a lot of work put into it. I actually traded a 66 coupe for this 93. The way I drive a Mustang... Even with four wheel manual drum brakes, I needed to have a Mustang that is set up for hard driving...

I am not a mechanical guy. When folks start talking technical, it goes over my head real quick. I have a good guy that treats me fair, and loves fords.

The car had the 331 in it when I got it, as well as having the rear disc conversion done. It still remains as a four bolt pattern though. The torque boxes have been re-enforced, and has very beefy sub-frame connectors. The front end is the racing tube frame and has adjustable coil over strut front suspension. All the original wiring and computer are gone. In the dash is a complete set of Auto-Meter Phantom gauges. It also has the driver's pillar with triple gauges there. Fuel cell and battery box in the trunk.

Since I have picked up the car, it has had a heavy duty drive shaft built for the car, Cobra emergency brakes installed, a customized roll bar and strut tower brace. I had the ripped up black top changed to a newer white top that I had. The car had an electric water pump, and I had a mechanical one put on in it's place.

When I had the hood changed, (which still needs to be painted), I had to have the high rise tunnel intake changed to a dual plane intake to have enough clearance to run an air cleaner. Added an aluminum racing radiator and a chrome alternator. I am currently waiting to get the car back from having the racing transmission installed.

I'll try to post some pictures. I just have to figure out how to do it first...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have been trying to upload photos from Photo-Bucket, but I can't get any them to show in the post, only provide links to my entire album...

Any helps on how to post photos?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't want to mislead anyone. I am not a mechanic or body man.

All the mechanical work that has been done on the car since I've owned it has been done by a really good guy. He is a Ford man through and through. His name is Joel Bernier, :cooldude: and he owns and operates "Last Chance Garage". He has been responsible for all the suspension, the custom built roll bar and strut tower braces, transmission and motor work done. Top shelf quality work for a fair price. You just can't ask for better!

As far as the body work, the installation of the repro fender and grill emblems, the working "NOS" twist style hood pins, the grill insert, putting the 70's era sport mirrors on and painting the hood with the Mach 1 scheme as well as touching up a few other areas, that was all done by Barry Wright, :bigthumbsup owner of Barry Wright's Collision in Chelsea ME. He has done a great job, and tried to keep the work at an affordable price.

The vinyl graphics were done by Joel Jolicoeur, owner operator of CentralMainePromotions.com. He took photos of original Mach 1's and scaled the decals to work on the Fox Body. A Great job of it too! :yelpleased:

Everything done has been my ideas, :smartass: but the work is through the talent of others...:worship

·
Registered
292 Posts
I like that,Well done!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts