Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm seriously looking at buying a 96 SVT cobra. I've been trying to find price ranges in order to work with the bank and the boss (my wife) plus I don't want to way overpay. This particular car is in extremely great condition. It appears showroom new on the exterior and interior. The only thing that is not show detailed is the engine bay, but it is still very clean. The car has been garage kept all of it's life. The original owner had it on a 3 year lease. The second owner bought it 12 years ago at 21K miles. It now has 39K original miles. He drove it an average of 1.5K/year. All mods are bolt on only and he will give me all of the original parts. He added larger rims and tires. The rims are SVT Cobra rims. He added a new H pipe and mufflers that took out the CatCons. He has them to give me. In PA if you drive less than 5K a year you need not pass smog test. He also added a moderate chip upgrade and a short shift kit. He never drove it in the rain! It's Black and there are absolutely no dents or scratches or even polishing swirls. I had a black 82 GT new and it showed everything so the new paint with clearcoat must be tougher. He used Purple Synth Lube.

This is from his ad: Some mild mods by the current owner for increased performance: upgraded 245 40ZR 17 tires mounted on upgraded 17 X 9 Ford chrome wheels (all 4 tires are excellent), Super Chip, Flowmaster H pipe w/3 chambers and stainless steel tips, B&M short throw shifter, K&N air filter system, Optimal Red Top battery (premium battery), Hawk performance brake pads. The original exhaust, shifter, 17 X 8 mag wheels with tires, air intake, and battery cover included with the purchase, so for the guys who like all original you can return the car to its original state easily. He told me the new rims and tires alone were $2000.00

It has the Leather Interior, Mach 460 Sound system w/ CD. Clean Carfax. 2 owner. He is asking $11,900.00 I've tried to find similar cars to compare prices but it is hard because of the low miles and how this car has been pampered. So is this in the ballpark? Is this a steal? Should I ask for $1K off. Edmunds puts it at $4800 retail. I know that is low. I just need to know the going rate and how close this is for the condition. Thank you in advance for any replies. Spiney - Dave

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
it seems to be a fair price, without a professional appraisal of it's value it will be nearly impossible to get a car loan for that amount...good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Go for it

That sounds like a great price. I bought my 96 SVT about 6 months ago for $12,000 and it has 100,000 miles on it and needs a paint job. WOW i used to feel good about the deal i got.:worship

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
That sounds like a great price. I bought my 96 SVT about 6 months ago for $12,000 and it has 100,000 miles on it and needs a paint job. WOW i used to feel good about the deal i got.:worship
wow, $12k? i bought my 99 in mint condition a year ago for $7500 and it had 110k miles on it and didnt need anything at the time.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I bought my 97 for $5600. It had 87k on it. If you look around you can find a better deal. I know the mileage on said vehicle is low but, 12k is still steep for a 96 model. You would be better off IMO to get a Termi for a few dollars more. Especially if your gonna finance.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I bought my 96 cobra for 3700$ with 110k. My cousin recently bought a 97 with no dents or scratches and like u said no swirl marks for 7k and it has 79k on it with exhasut, intake, tune, all little things. Like white venom has said if your going to finance it might as well buy the termi for a little bit more $$$

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bought my 97 for $5600. It had 87k on it. If you look around you can find a better deal. I know the mileage on said vehicle is low but, 12k is still steep for a 96 model. You would be better off IMO to get a Termi for a few dollars more. Especially if your gonna finance.
The bank approved $8K. I'm going to see how much I can get him to come down. This car is cherry. Never driven in rain, adult owned, garaged all it's life, driven 1.5K a year. It's basically showroom condition. I'm getting away from a hi mileage truck that cost me car payments in repairs. So low mileage and knowing the car was not abused is worth something to me. But if there are better buys for a bit more I'm open to that.

I'm much more familiar with 1st generation Mustangs having owned 4. What years were the terminators produced that you speak off? Thanks, Spiney

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
The bank approved $8K. I'm going to see how much I can get him to come down. This car is cherry. Never driven in rain, adult owned, garaged all it's life, driven 1.5K a year. It's basically showroom condition. I'm getting away from a hi mileage truck that cost me car payments in repairs. So low mileage and knowing the car was not abused is worth something to me. But if there are better buys for a bit more I'm open to that.

I'm much more familiar with 1st generation Mustangs having owned 4. What years were the terminators produced that you speak off? Thanks, Spiney
the terminator is the supercharged 4v cobra made in 03-04. check the car out really well, cars are meant to be driven, sometimes they have issues since they sit alot. imagine, the car is used to sitting and being driven 1.5k miles per year, you might run into some issues if you do alot of driving.

·
Registered
806 Posts
the terminator is the supercharged 4v cobra made in 03-04. check the car out really well, cars are meant to be driven, sometimes they have issues since they sit alot. imagine, the car is used to sitting and being driven 1.5k miles per year, you might run into some issues if you do alot of driving.
+1 on the 03/04 cobras. this is true though, motors are meant to run on a daily or a weekly basis. it helps keeps the parts internally lubed with oil and help keep parts from rusting out. i dd my cobra now and i dont have many problems with it at all. you should be fine if you want it to be your dd. good luck though, oh and by the way i got my 98 cobra with 70k miles on it for 7k. i put down 2.5k and got a loan for the rest, the best place to get a loan from is a credit union, all the big "name" banks wont approve a loan for a car that old

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
+1, thats where i had mine financed.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Sounds like a good deal to me! You hardly see any sncobras on the road, they're becoming rare. And you found a good one.
I bought mine for $9800 with 57k miles, perfect condition (showroom floor), not one scratch or rock chip. With brand new tires lol. Old man driven. Completely stock. Although I didn't get a loan, I paid it in cash :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looking closer to closing the deal. We took it out for a test drive tonight. It runs very strong. Has absolutely no rattles which will be a new experience for me. It is very tight all around. I love the short shifter. We talked price and he is willing to come down about $1500, so we are looking at about $10,500. The Credit Union only wanted to go $7K but they agreed to go $8K. So I need to rob savings for the rest. The last step is I'm having my mechanic look it over to see how many rubber items ie: hoses, belts, and seals are ready to be replaced. They are all original. At 15 years old they must be ready to go I would think. A/C blows real cold which I'm happy about because it's Black with Black leather interior.

Does the 4.6L use a timing chain or belt? I hope chain.

Any thoughts on putting a Bra on it to keep the front end nick free? Are these still available? Are they considered not cool?

Current owner uses 94 octane gas or Shell 93. What about Octane Booster when Hi-Test can't be found, does it work? Current owner used Purple Synthetic Oil only for the whole time he owned it. He said it's about $7/quart. I will be driving it more than he did. I can't afford to have it as a just for fun car. Though I'll probably keep it off the road for the Winter. Salt is used heavily here in PA and I want this car to last me a long time. So any other tips to extend the life are appreciated.

This will be my first Stang since about 87 when I sold my 70 Mach-1 in restored shape for a whopping $2800. I still dream of opening the garage and finding it still there. Before that I had a 82 GT brand new with TRX, T-Top, Black on Black. Before that another 70 Fastback with a 302 Auto, before that a 68 red coupe with 200 six Auto, and my very first car a green 67 with a 200 six and 3 speed on floor. I'll scan and post them all up here someday soon. If I had them all today they would be worth much more than my 401-K. Thanks, Spiney

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
Don't worry about a timing chain/belt...it does have a six foot chain that drives the 4 cams, but it never needs replacing
Yes, run 93 octane for best results
Just keep the oil changed, alot of us do run fully synthetic oil for best results...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I need a car cover until I can get an old 63 Pontiac out of the garage where we live. where is a good place to get a good car cover to fit a 96 Mustang. I want something that won't scratch the paint or trap moisture.

Also can I get a custom fit, not a universal fit bra for a 96 SVT Cobra?

Thanks, Spiney

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
Ebay is the best place to look for the cover or bra

·
Registered
147 Posts
you could try mustangs unlimited they used to have all that stuff in their catalog! They also have 2 locations...Ga &Ct.

·
Registered
14 Posts
96 Sweet

Just thought I'd toss my 2¢ out there also, soon to be a new snake owner myself.

Finalizing a 1996 deal this weekend for $9900, very clean, several bolt on's with 67K on her.

Better quit, I'm starting to drool again ;)

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
wow, I paid $15,000 for my 96 in 2001, it only had 21K miles on it...seems people are more into used Stangs than they used to be...makes sense, who can afford a $35K 5.0 gt?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well we pick her up Saturday @ 10:30. Just need to get through all the registration and tax stuff. Got the money, insurance, and car cover. American Muscle came through on the car cover. Got it in less than 24 hours. Tomorrow I'll be back in the saddle after an absence of 24 years. Sold my 70 Mach-1 back in 87. This car is just as quick and much tighter and refined than the Mach-1. It would do over 130 but it felt like the front wheels were going to fall off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought mine for 5000, payments. 74k. Supercharged 525hp all parts are authentic. And have EVERY receipt of Every oil change, tires, I have proof of everything that has been done to this car. Just got it yesterday. Previous owner bought it for 23k in 05. Made a good investment

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts