Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I'm looking to replace my daily driver and I'm looking to buy a 2012 Mustang V6 base with the V6 performance package. I've got a question for those (if any) that got the base package:

How it is to live with? There are plenty of reviews of well optioned cars but not really any with the lower optioned ones. I see it has a decent list of standard features like power windows/locks, cruise, AC, that sort of thing. But is the stock sound system bearable? Did it come with AUX/USB port? Just wondering how it was. I drive an only moderately optioned 2004 Focus now and an 89 Mustang GT so I'm not looking for Caddilac Luxury here, but just something that isn't lousy. Thanks for any opinions!

735 Posts
I have the base V6 and think the entry level audio system will be ok for most people. Even base cars have an auxillary input jack in the center console to connect a portable music player.

But if you previously had a killer audio system, you'll be wanting for more.

Best thing for you to do is go to a dealer and check out both systems yourself. :)

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
I agree. Just go over to a Ford dealer that has one and spend a little seat time in each if you can.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd love to, but the dealership near me only orders heavily optioned V8 cars. Not a single V6, nevermind in base trim.

I'm used to stock Ford systems in my focus and anything in my Mustang is drowned out by the exhaust :gringreen

I don't mind upgrading it down the line, but was just wondering what people thought.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
You could try the Ford inventory search on their site to see if there are any even close to you. You might have to drive a bit, but it could be worth it to find out before you make the leap.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
I have the same model on order, The only thing in the premium package that I had any interest in was the stereo (NOT sync) I'll spend $5K on a home system but not on a car. Be advised any head unit upgrade involves a 200-400 dollar adaptor so that will be down the line for me. All the other stuff is just flash IMO

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Hello!

I'm looking to replace my daily driver and I'm looking to buy a 2012 Mustang V6 base with the V6 performance package. I've got a question for those (if any) that got the base package:

How it is to live with? There are plenty of reviews of well optioned cars but not really any with the lower optioned ones. I see it has a decent list of standard features like power windows/locks, cruise, AC, that sort of thing. But is the stock sound system bearable? Did it come with AUX/USB port? Just wondering how it was. I drive an only moderately optioned 2004 Focus now and an 89 Mustang GT so I'm not looking for Caddilac Luxury here, but just something that isn't lousy. Thanks for any opinions!
There is AUX input but no USB or SD. It may be the same with the premium but the CD player plays MP3 but not WMA, which is not a negative (for me) but I think is bizarre considering the Microsoft connection. None of the Ford speakers are worth a damn but are easily replaced.

Since the point of the Performance Package is to have the best performance, I think it's counterproductive to order with premium or other heavy options. Notice Ford doesn't even offer those options with the Boss. A base V6 Performance Package only weighs around 3310 lbs. Keep it that "weigh" (pardon the pun) unless you are the type to eat a bacon double cheeseburger with a diet coke. Both may be good individually, but are pulling in different directions.

·
Registered
837 Posts
That's exactly what I have.

My other car is a fully loaded 2002 Accord V6 sedan. I don't miss anything from it when I'm in the Mustang.

Sure, the interior is not as nice, there's no leather, and the Honda's audio is way better than the base Mustang, but none of them enough for me to feel the need to upgrade (i.e. leather kits, speakers, etc.).

I have a question, though. Is there any way I can hook up my iPod to my base Stang? Or is that a Premium feature? Single-disc CD player is kinda lame.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I would think an audio cable with the appropriate plugs on each end would work fine. Just plug into the headphone and aux jacks.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
My car:
Base V6, PP, All-Weather Mats.

I wouldn't even consider changing my order, even after owning it for 3 weeks now. I would suggest the mat option if you don't drive on carpet like hogasswild does.

Also, the only aftermarket upgrade that is a must (even for premium owners) is new speakers - 5x7's or 6x8's. They turn a crappy sounding system into a decent system for just $70.

The best part of a base V6 is having the extra cash to make the car exactly what you want it to be :)

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Base Model

I don't think anything seams really cheap on the interior. The speakers sound nice, nothing crazy but not crappy by any means. In comparison to other base models like the old 350z and the newer 370z the mustang is much better, no flimsy plastic feel. Not to mention the base 370z only comes with 2 speakers :shrug: For the price i don't think you can beat a base model mustang

·
Registered
43 Posts
I traded in my base 2002 for a premium 2012. I know you don't want to hear about the premiums, but it really is a huge difference in the interior. And, for a daily driver, that is what makes or breaks the auto.

I know you are looking at the performance package, but, if you are looking at it as a daily driver, I'd dump the performance part and spend the money on the interior.

JMHO

·
Registered
357 Posts
Wow !
I personally find my loaded Premium Vert with Pony Package NIGHT and DAY compared to the stripped out 2011 Vert I have rented.
The USB maintains all my tunes. The heated seat is great, top down at night.
The power driver & passenger seats make a big difference.
The fancy wheels are outstanding.
The car gets raves from teeny boppers to AARP's.
Just an opinion.

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
I was thinking like you before I brought mine. I wanted either a base V6 or V8 mustang. But after driving the prenium and base back to back. Man... The prenium interior is way better than base.

Furthermore, if you shop hard enough, you can get a prenium mustang close to base's price. Thats what I did!

Hello!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the replies!

Seems like the general concensous is that it's pretty livable! That's good to hear. Next stop is to try and find a V6 car to test drive somewhere around here.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Good luck, keep us updated!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.