Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

About 3 years ago I purchased a 2010 Mustang 4.0L, mostly stock, with an automatic transmission. Has an aftermarket exhaust (although I'm planning to upgrade to dual exhaust in the spring), BBK Throttle body, and BBK Cold Air Intake from the previous owner. I've enjoyed it the past few years but am ready to start doing some mods to make some more horsepower. I've looked around a little but most of the threads I've seen are pretty old and outdated so I figured I'd create a new one. What are the best mods to start making some more horsepower? Is it worth the time/money? Not looking to trade up for a newer model, would like to stick with what I've got. Links to specific parts would be appreciated!

Thanks!

· Administrator
7,797 Posts
Greetings!

Welcome and thank you for joining ALLFORDMUSTANGS!
Please read the Site Rules if you haven’t already.
We encourage you to complete your Account Settings.
If you need help posting, please read this FAQ.

We’re happy you have chosen to be a part of our community.

Someone will be along shortly to offer advice.

Reactions: 5.0 Coyote

· Registered
94 Posts
I’d recommend getting a custom tune and upgrading to a used 8.8 rear axle with 3.73 gears. It made my 4.0 a whole lot more fun (although the actual HP increase is not that much). You might have a custom tune already with the BBK throttle body and CAI. The only solution for a major HP increase is a supercharger.
And I’d suggest you don’t waste your time and money on “performance“ coil packs or throttle body spacers.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’d recommend getting a custom tune and upgrading to a used 8.8 rear axle with 3.73 gears. It made my 4.0 a whole lot more fun (although the actual HP increase is not that much). You might have a custom tune already with the BBK throttle body and CAI. The only solution for a major HP increase is a supercharger.
And I’d suggest you don’t waste your time and money on “performance“ coil packs or throttle body spacers.
Thanks!

what are some good supercharger options? The most talked about supercharger seemed to be the X-Charger, but from what I've seen it looks like they've been discontinued. Also where is the best place to look for a used 8.8 rear axle?

· Registered
12,469 Posts
I would also suggest supercharger for significant HP gains, and I'd start by looking on American Muscle to see what they have for your car. You could also check Paxton, Vortech, ProCharger directly.

For the rear axle, I suggest you check junk yards -- most of them have on-line inventory these days, such as: LKQ Online

pretty sure you will need a new driveshaft for the 8.8 axle/differential

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would also suggest supercharger for significant HP gains, and I'd start by looking on American Muscle to see what they have for your car. You could also check Paxton, Vortech, ProCharger directly. For the rear axle, I suggest you check junk yards -- most of them have on-line inventory these days, such as: LKQ Online pretty sure you will need a new driveshaft for the 8.8 axle/differential
Hi, Thanks! I checked American Muscle and they didn't have any compatible superchargers. I think it's because 2010 was the transition year from the 2005-2009 to the 2011-2014s. I would be able to use any supercharger off the 2005-09s but not the 2011-14s right, since 05-09 is the identical engine? Any preferred superchargers commonly used by the community? I know Pro Chargers are supposed to be great but obviously the most expensive. Don't know much about Paxton or Vortech. Also, I checked out that website as well as some local junkyards, couldn't find a 3.73. I'll keep my eye out, not planing on pulling the car out until spring anyways. Would the driveshaft off a 2010 GT with a 8.8 mount to the auto transmission on my v6?

· Registered
240 Posts
Don't waste your time.
Just drive the car and enjoy it.
Upgraded suspension and gears is all it needs.

Not sure how much boost the stock 4.0L engine can handle

· Registered
2 Posts
Hi all, About 3 years ago I purchased a 2010 Mustang 4.0L, mostly stock, with an automatic transmission. Has an aftermarket exhaust (although I'm planning to upgrade to dual exhaust in the spring), BBK Throttle body, and BBK Cold Air Intake from the previous owner. I've enjoyed it the past few years but am ready to start doing some mods to make some more horsepower. I've looked around a little but most of the threads I've seen are pretty old and outdated so I figured I'd create a new one. What are the best mods to start making some more horsepower? Is it worth the time/money? Not looking to trade up for a newer model, would like to stick with what I've got. Links to specific parts would be appreciated! Thanks!
Hello, I have same situation 2008. Set up with cold air/BBK 70mm/JET MMF module/Shorty headers/ Has a jump to it but major difference adding in pedal booster. Night and day, not sure adding horse power but response is tickling. I have 34lb DW injectors waiting to install along with true Mandrel 2.5 exhaust for dual and 373 pinon and ring with locker. Hopefully this summer will complete and will post. Have had ZERO luck finding top end mods for HP gain ie cam/heads/plenum. Still love this 4.0 and the body style, same here do not want to change car. Will watch and see!

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello, I have same situation 2008. Set up with cold air/BBK 70mm/JET MMF module/Shorty headers/ Has a jump to it but major difference adding in pedal booster. Night and day, not sure adding horse power but response is tickling. I have 34lb DW injectors waiting to install along with true Mandrel 2.5 exhaust for dual and 373 pinon and ring with locker. Hopefully this summer will complete and will post. Have had ZERO luck finding top end mods for HP gain ie cam/heads/plenum. Still love this 4.0 and the body style, same here do not want to change car. Will watch and see!
I'll have to look into the Throttle booster. What brand do you have?

· Registered
12,469 Posts
not sure there will be any benefit to bigger injectors, if the engine does not need more fuel then bigger injectors won't make any difference

· Tech Advisor
2014 GT, 1967 Fairlane GTA
5,910 Posts
2010 Mustang 4.0L, mostly stock, with an automatic transmission. Has an aftermarket exhaust (although I'm planning to upgrade to dual exhaust in the spring), BBK Throttle body, and BBK Cold Air Intake from the previous owner.
The TB and CAI aren't going to do diddly for power. You need other induction mods for them to be of any use at all and unless you add forced induction or change cams they're just sitting there doing nothing but needing a tune to make them work. I agree with the others that the only thing that you're going to be able to do to make any significant difference in power with a 4.0 is going to be a supercharger with safe boost levels.
What I said about the TB and CAI also applies with your setup but in your case you have fuel injectors that are completely unnecessary and can only make problems for a stock engine like yours. Just like JBert said bigger fuel injectors are only useful for making power when you have a significant jump in HP and I'm not talking about 5-10 hp over stock.
I think what you mean is a throttle response controller or lag/delay eliminator. All it does is get rid of most of the hesitation when you mash the pedal. On some vehicles the factory hesitation is very annoying.
3.73 gears should make a noticeable difference in acceleration.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The TB and CAI aren't going to do diddly for power. You need other induction mods for them to be of any use at all and unless you add forced induction or change cams they're just sitting there doing nothing but needing a tune to make them work. I agree with the others that the only thing that you're going to be able to do to make any significant difference in power with a 4.0 is going to be a supercharger with safe boost levels.

What I said about the TB and CAI also applies with your setup but in your case you have fuel injectors that are completely unnecessary and can only make problems for a stock engine like yours. Just like JBert said bigger fuel injectors are only useful for making power when you have a significant jump in HP and I'm not talking about 5-10 hp over stock.
I think what you mean is a throttle response controller or lag/delay eliminator. All it does is get rid of most of the hesitation when you mash the pedal. On some vehicles the factory hesitation is very annoying.
3.73 gears should make a noticeable difference in acceleration.
In my case TB and CAI are all from the previous owner. I was just noting what was already on my car. Definitely going to look into a tune in general to get more out of the engine. Also planning on switching to dual exhaust in the spring which I'm hoping will improve airflow. Did some reading on the Throttle response controller and sounds like they make a big difference on the S197s, so probably gonna look into that as well.

Is there a difference between the 2012-14 3.73 Clutch Style Differential and the 3.73 Torsen Helical Style Differential? It appears that the Torsen Helical Style is much cheaper than the clutch style. Do I need a certain kind? Is one better than the other? For my 2010 Mustang

· Custom Audio Guru
‘05 V6 Windveil Blue
1,742 Posts
Unless you have a tune, switch back to your stock TB and ditch the big injectors like Cobra said. CAI's look cool but i have a thread that shows me playing around and they don't do squat without a tune. The "tuneless" ones have a stock MAF tube diameter and look fancy, that's it.

Best bang for your buck is:
TSB fixes for the 5r55s trans
Shock/struts and springs
X brace (i have steeda's rear seat delete one)
Strut brace
Tires
1-piece driveshaft if you want to go anywhere above 115mph on the track
3.73 trac lock (posi) in an 8.8 with 31-spline axles (stock 28 spline isn't that strong)

Enjoy

· Tech Advisor
2014 GT, 1967 Fairlane GTA
5,910 Posts
Is there a difference between the 2012-14 3.73 Clutch Style Differential and the 3.73 Torsen Helical Style Differential? It appears that the Torsen Helical Style is much cheaper than the clutch style. Do I need a certain kind? Is one better than the other? For my 2010 Mustang
Both types are LSD(limited slip differential). A Torsen differential simply uses gears instead of clutches. It's generally considered a better design of limited slip diff with less wear and maintenance.
The Ford Traction-Lok diff uses clutches instead of gears. It's a very effective design but the clutches will eventually wear out especially if the wheels are spun often. In a v6 it's not really a concern so the Traction-Lok is probably perfect in that application.
It should also be noted that if they had LSD from the factory most RWD Ford vehicles came with Traction-Lok since the 1960s. Whatever type comes in the axle is just fine for your application.

· Custom Audio Guru
‘05 V6 Windveil Blue
1,742 Posts
In my reading there were alot of report of chatter during turns with the torsion gears. Not from damage or anything, just the lock engaging/disengaging

A design gremlin that seemed to keep alot of folks with the trac-lock.

Reactions: Cobrajet67

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Both types are LSD(limited slip differential). A Torsen differential simply uses gears instead of clutches. It's generally considered a better design of limited slip diff with less wear and maintenance.
The Ford Traction-Lok diff uses clutches instead of gears. It's a very effective design but the clutches will eventually wear out especially if the wheels are spun often. In a v6 it's not really a concern so the Traction-Lok is probably perfect in that application.
It should also be noted that if they had LSD from the factory most RWD Ford vehicles came with Traction-Lok since the 1960s. Whatever type comes in the axle is just fine for your application.
Awesome thanks a lot! My biggest concern would be the maintenance of the Traction-Lok. Just gonna keep my eye out for whatever is available in the spring and get whatever is in the best condition for a reasonable price

· Custom Audio Guru
‘05 V6 Windveil Blue
1,742 Posts
Why did i have a flashback to the mode-selector boxes we ziptied to our airvents for spirited driving

1 - 19 of 19 Posts