Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! First post here and little to no knowledge about cars. My father bought my 88 GT Cobra brand new and babied the car. Before he passed away he gave the car to me, and now i want to make it roar.

It has 142,000KM, I recently replaced the alternator and i will be replacing the heat block in a few days, but other than that the car is as new as it was the day he bought it. Sounds the same and looks the same, inside and out.

I'm all about the sound (HP is nice too but secondary for the time being). What would you recommend to get a deeper growl/rumble out of the car that is relatively inexpensive ($500 to $1000 range installed). Someone mentioned a performance filter, but what kind? Will that give a better sound to it? Someone also recommended a new exhaust. Again, any suggestions on what type? I don't like the high pitch sound some cars make (too whiny for me). Instead i prefer the deep sexy growl, like the new Camaro :)

Any suggestions/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
457 Posts
I suggest a off road x-pipe with some flowmaster super 44's that dump off just before the rear axle. I have a '90 Gt with this setup and it sounds awsome. It turns heads everywhere and people are always saying how good it sounds. It has and nice deep rumble at idle and sounds like a hell is breaking loose when I step on it. Some like the h-pipe too, but maybe you should check out youtube to listen to some options before you decide. I bought my setup from this site located in North Carolina. www.holcombmotorsports.com All in all, it's cost around $450.00 installed.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Everyone has flowmasters. Go get a Pypes performance system which will include Violator mufflers and an O/R X pipe.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Honestly I would get top of the line exhaust system. It's 3 parts and will cost around 1,000 bucks for parts. you can install yourself it's easy all bolt on no welding.
1. BBK shortie headers (chrome is fine, you don't need ceramic)
2. BBK X pipe with no cats
3. Flowmaster Thunder cat back system
You can order from summitracing.com or jegs.com those are the 2 main places I order from. They have always had great customer service and fast shipping. I know other places offer price match, but why should I have to price match. Just offer a low price part to begin with. That's why I stick to jegs and summit.

Great sound and more power, a good sounding exhaust is nice!

·
Banned
7,170 Posts
the super 44s sound great, but DO NOT put large tips on it. keep the 2-1/2 tail pipes. the large chrome tips sound to much like a pick-up with duals....:nono:

·
Registered
561 Posts
slp loud mouths , it doesnt get any ballsier

·
Registered
79 Posts
i have long tube headers ... 2 1/2 all the way back with PYPES M 80'S mufflers and flowmaster tail pipes (no cats )... everyone tells me it sounds awesome and they dont believe its a stock 302 ... i heard them on utube ...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts