Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Check out the pdf and article on Jalopnik.

As much as I wanted a manual I couldn't with the one that is in the car. From the sounds of it Ford REALLY cheaped out on it. Thicker fluid to fix the problem? Sounds like something my uncle would do.

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts
My wife just saw this noted on the scrolling banner of Good Morning America ... this is a good thing.

I think this is worth watching, but the conclusion there's both smoke and fire here is a bit of an overaction, no disrespect. My VW GTI had a "notchy" transmission and it broke in fine ... that is what I was told by the dealer, who noted my service record, but they proved to be correct. My Lotus (Toyota transmission) sometimes wouldn't go from 2nd to 1st when it was cold, when warm, no problem. It doesn't take much to generate an issue report thanks to the interwebs. And yes, fluid does make a significant difference. That could be the fix, legitimately. Also, it may not be an issue with a "cheaped out" transmission as it can also be due to the shift linkage and require a simple adjustment.

I personally have doubts that if a transmission won't shift reliably a mfr will turn their backs on it.

In general, for a new transmission, go easy on it. Notchy-ness is the sign of close tolerances. Let it break in.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Check out the pdf and article on Jalopnik.

As much as I wanted a manual I couldn't with the one that is in the car. From the sounds of it Ford REALLY cheaped out on it. Thicker fluid to fix the problem? Sounds like something my uncle would do.
Thankfully I have hadn't any transmission issues so far and in fact, I think the trasnmission has been excellent so far, smooth and extremely easy shifting. I actually like the tranny in this car more than in any of my past cars.

Keeping my fingers crossed that this doesn't change..

·
Registered
359 Posts
Well, whether or not it turns out to be anything, I will cling to this as reason to be happy for my automatic transmission...

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
My wife just saw this noted on the scrolling banner of Good Morning America ... this is a good thing.

I think this is worth watching, but the conclusion there's both smoke and fire here is a bit of an overaction, no disrespect. My VW GTI had a "notchy" transmission and it broke in fine ... that is what I was told by the dealer, who noted my service record, but they proved to be correct. My Lotus (Toyota transmission) sometimes wouldn't go from 2nd to 1st when it was cold, when warm, no problem. It doesn't take much to generate an issue report thanks to the interwebs. And yes, fluid does make a significant difference. That could be the fix, legitimately. Also, it may not be an issue with a "cheaped out" transmission as it can also be due to the shift linkage and require a simple adjustment.

I personally have doubts that if a transmission won't shift reliably a mfr will turn their backs on it.
You couldn't be more wrong. The safety problem is these transmissions sometimes refuse to go into gear. It has nothing to do with break-in or fluid. Same with grinding, if an MT82 does this it doesn't get better; it gets worse with use. Lastly, corporations will gladly screw their customers if the alternative costs more. In Ford's case, just look at the Pinto gas tanks. Ford did a thorough analysis and decided paying off wrongful death suits would be cheaper than fixing the problem and that's the course they took until forced by the Govt.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Word travels fast. I just saw "2011/2012 Mustang transmission problems" on a news ticker program here in Ontario.

·
Registered
949 Posts
It wouldn't cost Ford crap to replace ALL the transmissions in these cars!

·
Registered
612 Posts
I am also more worried about the drive shafts! One thing at a time I guess. My MT is working awesome, for now!

·
Registered
101 Posts
So if they end up having to replace the transmissions how would they go about contacting you? I've had mine in the dealer 4 times for not going into gear issues and no reverse, I almost got rid of the car to get an auto, but I hope this makes Ford get their ass in gear and fix the problem and put a better tranny in these cars its ridiculous

·
Registered
121 Posts
In Ford's case, just look at the Pinto gas tanks. Ford did a thorough analysis and decided paying off wrongful death suits would be cheaper than fixing the problem and that's the course they took until forced by the Govt.
Hard to argue that one. My personal belief is that these days, with litigation and media the way it is, corporations are too scared to try to get away with shameful policies such as that.

·
Registered
112 Posts
i never had a problem with mine. all good here. i guess im just one of the lucky ones.

·
Registered
275 Posts
So other than a problem with the motor,trans, and driveshaft //:kooky://I ll be all set to go then when my new 2012 arrives in a few weeks right???? FNGFOG:bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
246 Posts
I'm more concerned with the driveshaft than the transmission.

I'm more worried about the transmission, tbh. Changing the driveshaft is comparatively easy.

G

·
Hi members,

My name is Deysha from Ford Customer Service. We are all aware of this NHTSA investigation going on about these transmissions. No one knows how long this investigation will take. I am still here to help you guys. If anyone is experiencing any concerns with their vehicle, please make an appointment with your Ford dealer as soon as possible. Then, private message me with your VIN, contact info, mileage, and dealer info. This way, I can get this escalated and get this situation worked out. Please, continue to stay strong and thank you for your support!

Deysha

·
Registered
121 Posts
Okay, I’ve hung out on a lot of forums in my day, and this is the first time I’ve seen a response like the preceding one, direct from a MFRs customer service dept, ever. Cool.

I work in the tech industry, and yes, defectives occur which can be the result of a design issue, a manufacturing issue, a machine used for assembly isn’t calibrated correctly, a sub assembly etc. Ongoing changes occur as issues are uncovered, but it’s worth noting that many of these are of a temporary nature … for example, maybe a press wasn’t calibrated correctly for a day or even an hour. Because a batch of parts have failed it doesn’t mean that all of them are doomed to fail. If you don’t have the problem develop early in the life of the car, it’s unlikely it’ll start.

Anyways, cool that Ford is working this via the forum to document & keep track of this.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Don't get too excited about it. Her presence has had no effect on anybodies car getting fixed.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Okay, I’ve hung out on a lot of forums in my day, and this is the first time I’ve seen a response like the preceding one, direct from a MFRs customer service dept, ever. Cool.

I work in the tech industry, and yes, defectives occur which can be the result of a design issue, a manufacturing issue, a machine used for assembly isn’t calibrated correctly, a sub assembly etc. Ongoing changes occur as issues are uncovered, but it’s worth noting that many of these are of a temporary nature … for example, maybe a press wasn’t calibrated correctly for a day or even an hour. Because a batch of parts have failed it doesn’t mean that all of them are doomed to fail. If you don’t have the problem develop early in the life of the car, it’s unlikely it’ll start.

Anyways, cool that Ford is working this via the forum to document & keep track of this.
Ford has been "working this" for about a year now. I suggest you visit this thread, and spend some time there reading.
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...anual-transmission-rough-shifting-thread.html

·
Registered
121 Posts
Ford has been "working this" for about a year now. I suggest you visit this thread, and spend some time there reading.
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...anual-transmission-rough-shifting-thread.html
I had seen some of that, and did take a fresh look and yes, that’s a lot of pages of posts. Does anyone know / is there a count of how many unique complaints there are? Clearly the NHTSA doesn’t include all those listed in the thread you reference, and it would be of value to Ford to know how many unique complaints exist beyond the the NHTSA’s accounting. The dealer is a source, however I suspect it’s hard for Ford to gather that reliably from dealer service records.

Also, it would be good to establish how many of these were corrected or not via the TSB on fluid weight change. That’s probably worth a thread of its own. From the posts, it only seems to provide a temporary and / or partial alleviation of the problem.

Ford has stated they are going to cooperate with NHTSA and that is huge and good news …so now is a good time to assist Ford with documentation. Part of these cases is getting a clear picture of how many units are involved, and the different types/manifestations of issues. We could send a PM to Ford’s Cust Service / Social Media Rep at least, and provide to like minded dealer Service Advisors to forward to HQ via that route. Also, and for the most part everyone has done, we should continue to provide detailed descriptions of what you’re experiencing … write the post as if someone from NHTSA or Ford will be reading it.

I’m not defending nor criticizing Ford. I think we can work with Ford to move forward, and understand and empathize that there are many who have been wrestling with this issue for some time. Every car MFR has these issues, but it’s how they are handled that forges or deteriorates the customer relationship.

G

·
I had seen some of that, and did take a fresh look and yes, that’s a lot of pages of posts. Does anyone know / is there a count of how many unique complaints there are? Clearly the NHTSA doesn’t include all those listed in the thread you reference, and it would be of value to Ford to know how many unique complaints exist beyond the the NHTSA’s accounting. The dealer is a source, however I suspect it’s hard for Ford to gather that reliably from dealer service records.

Also, it would be good to establish how many of these were corrected or not via the TSB on fluid weight change. That’s probably worth a thread of its own. From the posts, it only seems to provide a temporary and / or partial alleviation of the problem.

Ford has stated they are going to cooperate with NHTSA and that is huge and good news …so now is a good time to assist Ford with documentation. Part of these cases is getting a clear picture of how many units are involved, and the different types/manifestations of issues. We could send a PM to Ford’s Cust Service / Social Media Rep at least, and provide to like minded dealer Service Advisors to forward to HQ via that route. Also, and for the most part everyone has done, we should continue to provide detailed descriptions of what you’re experiencing … write the post as if someone from NHTSA or Ford will be reading it.

I’m not defending nor criticizing Ford. I think we can work with Ford to move forward, and understand and empathize that there are many who have been wrestling with this issue for some time. Every car MFR has these issues, but it’s how they are handled that forges or deteriorates the customer relationship.
:goodpoint::goodpost:thanks:

Deysha

1 - 20 of 20 Posts