Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 1968 mustang with a 289 and a c4 3 speed automatic transmission. the transmission runs through the gears fine, however the shift lever wiggles left and right a lot. it doesn't stay on the track and i don't even have to use the button to switch positions.

what could be causing this problem and how can i remedy it? :headscratch:

here is a video that better illustrates the problem:
YouTube - mustang C4 tranny shift lever problem. HELP!

·
Registered
342 Posts
Sounds like a couple of things. The bushings that help hold the shifter in place are worn out and gone; or the nut that holds the shifter in place is very loose. You have to get to that from under the car. The bushings are plastic, or at least they are for 1966, and aren't expensive. Well worth the time to replace..it will make your shifting experience feel like brand new.

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
Hello. :) Yup. The first thing to do would be to relace those plastic bushings then snug the nut up. That is usually it. I have seen a couple of cars in which the slotted hole in the drop bracket was worn out and caused that, but that is not at all common. :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Does anyone know where I can find the instructions to replace these bushings? Or is it self explanatory once I tear into it? I just ordered the kit and would like to do it this weekend.
Thanks

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
Hi again. :) Yup. Nothing to it. You just take that one nut off that's holding the handle on, pull the handle off, and you'll see what the situation is. :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys!the bushings worked great and it shifts like brand new now.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Hello. :) Yup. The first thing to do would be to relace those plastic bushings then snug the nut up. That is usually it. I have seen a couple of cars in which the slotted hole in the drop bracket was worn out and caused that, but that is not at all common. :)
I replaced my bushings and still have slop. What is the hole in the drop bracket you are referring to? Thx in advance.

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
Hi again. :) If you remove the nut that you had to take off to replace the bushings, and then go ahead and snatch the shift handle out, you'll see exactly what I'm talking about. There's a bracket that will then slip out of the shifter bucket from under the car which is what the shift handle is attached to. The actual hole is in the shift handle itself, but, it isn't a round hole. It has two flat spots. There are two corresponding flat spots on that bracket. When those start to get a little rounded off, or the flat spots in the hole in the shift handle, that will make the shifter really sloppy. It's mostly front to back slop, but there is also a fair amount of lateral slop. But, just go ahead and pull the shifter handle out and you'll see what I'm talking about. :)

·
Registered
412 Posts
Thx., I remember seeing the parts...just didn't think to check there for play.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts