Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I lost all sets of my keys and really need my car to get around. The nearest ford dealer is 50 km (20 some mi) away and I heard it will cost around 200 to get new keys. any way to hot-wire it temporarily so I can at least drive to the dealer? any cheep fixes so I wont have to spend the cash?

Any help will be great, thanks

2007 v6 Mustang Dynomax axle-back exhaust

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I think you're in for a tow. Hot wiring these cars is darn difficult, and in any case, I'd be surprised if a member would describe how to do it on a public board. If you get my drift...

How the heck did you lose all your keys?

·
Administrator
13,264 Posts
I think you're in for a tow. Hot wiring these cars is darn difficult, and in any case, I'd be surprised if a member would describe how to do it on a public board. If you get my drift...

How the heck did you lose all your keys?
^^^I Agreejudge.gifAlso, I don`t know about `07 cars, but the newer ones have to be towed to the dealer as the keys are programmed to the individual vehicle, at least that is my understanding.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I only ever had one key and was just about to get another one cut but didn't have time to. now I'm screwed :p I'd prefer not to tow it because of cost. You said something about hot-wiring; can someone help me with that?

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,399 Posts
Do not attempt to hot wire the car. Even if you get the engine started there are alarms, interlocks, and of course the steering column lock. Bite the bullet, call for a tow, get two keys made and be more careful keeping track of your stuff.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Even if it's possible to do so, no one on here would tell you how to do it. While I'm not suggesting you're looking to boost someone's Mustang parked in your space, someone else who reads this might get just such an idea. If you only have one key, I think you've probably learned that the cost of losing it is far greater than the cost of having a spare made. Chalk it up to experience. Have it towed to Ford.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I catch ya. The way towing fees are here, I'm looking at prob close to 1k for this stupid mistake.. trainwreck.gif

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
actually, is it possible for me to pop it into neutral without the key? the Cab of the car is unlocked ( like always).
that way I can load it up myself onto a trailer and save the craploads of cash for a tow.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Is it an Automatic? If so, refer to your Owners Manual, there is a Button next to the Shifter, for Shift override, so you can shift it into neutral. Remember, driving it without the engine can damage transmission.
Not sure about the Manual in this car, just pull out the Gear? like in most other Sticks.

·
Registered
6,399 Posts
Or you can put sheet metal pads under your rear tires and then skid the whole car up onto your trailer.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Chances are pretty good that if you take the title with you to a dealer to prove ownership that they can make a key for you based on the VIN. I'd call to verify that first.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts