Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
While driving today I starting hearing a loud ticking. Thinking it's my lifters.
Checked me oil pressure gauge and it's 0 zip gone no pressure. I immediately pulled over shut off the engine checked my oil and it's full. My guess is my pump died. Any other ideas??

This happened in a instant I was cruising down the freeway then tick tick no pressure.
Any help will be incredibly appreciated.
It's a 66 stang with a 302 v8 and c4 automatic.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks

Thanks for all the help everyone I will be tearing into her later this week!!
Mustang owners ROCK!!! :worship

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Let us know how it works out.

Any idea of the miles on the motor?

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Sounds like you were lucky and shut it down in time. The engine should be OK.

It wouldn't hurt to pull the distributer too and inspect the bottom where it connects to the oil pump shaft when you drop the pan.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
You need to check several things, you can pull the dist to check the oil pump drive rod, I never seen an oil pump go bad where it doesn't have any oil pressure (it could have a plugged pick up screen, loose oil pick up, a piece of gasket or particle big enough to lock up the oil pump if so, disassemble it and remove the particle and check the gear surfaces of the oil pump, I've seen more rod and main bearings worn out where they don't have oil pressure (I would recommend checking at least the clearance and condition on one rod and main bearing), it could also be a bad oil pressure sending unit however the lifters ticking is usually a sign of low oil pressure. Good Luck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts