Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally got to drive the 5.0 94 stang i bought 2 weeks ago, Well First of the car seems to be all over the road. I think i have narrowed that down to a worn inner tie rod on both sides. But what really bothered me was that i had to press on the brakes HARD just to barely stop! If i put all my feet strength into the pedal it would just stop little faster than normal. Ok, I THINK that is because all the rust on all 4 brake disk and really worn pads? correct me if im wrong.

Also when pressing the brake pedal and letting off i feel like the car is a Boat and is swaying everywhere this really bothered me the most out of all problems! I checked the front sway bars or stability bars cause we broke them on my buddy's 5.0 one and it felt like this. but havent checked the rear one.

So pretty much im new to the Mustang World so if this is all normal stuff for a Ford then let me know its not a problem! Im used to my 2000 LBS Honda & maybe all this extra weight is why it feels this way to me? i dunno i need you guy's advice!!!

THANKS! !:wavey

·
Registered
344 Posts
If it's front to back swaying my guess is that your struts are wore out. Or a spring is broke, maybe both.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea, I thought about the Struts also. has to be that cause springs are good. How could i see if the struts are bad? Take em off and press them in and if they gas them selfs back up then their good and if not their bad? just wondering if there the same as shox on Honda.

·
Registered
720 Posts
yea, I thought about the Struts also. has to be that cause springs are good. How could i see if the struts are bad? Take em off and press them in and if they gas them selfs back up then their good and if not their bad? just wondering if there the same as shox on Honda.
Ha, unfortunatly for you and fortunately for us theyre not. Welcome to the Mustangs world, theyre truely great cars once you fix the damage caused by previous owners. May I ask why you werent able to test drive it, or why you had to wait two weeks to?? If the car was as poorly maintained as it seems checking the brake pads would be a good idea, also make sure the discs arent worn. if everything looks and feels alright down there check the fluid and what not. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well i rode in it right when my buddy bought is and then it sat up for 4 months and got a flat tire and the rim got stuck on the car. so i got it now and i torched it off and went through a lot of **** just to drive it again. the disk look like they are pretty dam new but pads are worn and on top of that i drove it with the rust on them:headscratch:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Two things:

1. On a car that's been collecting rust on the rotors, or even drums - you can remove that with some sandpaper. Don't go crazy on it. Just enough to knock the rust off.

2. To check the shocks/struts and springs, you have to visually inspect them to see if there is any missing hardware, check to make sure nothing is bent or broken, and then the old school bounce test - push the car down on each corner and it should take no more than 2 bounces for the car to settle. Also you can check to see if the car is sagging on any one side. Like if the drivers rear is lower than the rest of the car.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will check all of that tomorrow on the suspension. I dont think it bounces more than twice if i bounce it. but ill check it again tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I also had another question & dont wanna start another thread for it! Ok, Their sounds like their is a Exhaust leak at the headers or down pipe on the passenger side headers. I checked it out today and i smelt the exhaust fumes strong is hell. well their was a silver piping that it was coming out. if i covered it with my finger the leak would go away a little but still was another leak. but it took away the nasty exchaust leak sound. Is this a EGR or smog pump item?:headscratch:

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
I also had another question & dont wanna start another thread for it! Ok, Their sounds like their is a Exhaust leak at the headers or down pipe on the passenger side headers. I checked it out today and i smelt the exhaust fumes strong is hell. well their was a silver piping that it was coming out. if i covered it with my finger the leak would go away a little but still was another leak. but it took away the nasty exchaust leak sound. Is this a EGR or smog pump item?:headscratch:
seeing that you could put your finger on the exhaust leak and not get burned, i would say that it is probably your egr valve, but its hard to say without pics.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ya, EGR valve. im pretty sure that is what it is. its not flowing enough to get real hot. just enough to make a nasty exhaust leak sound and the fumes are dam strong coming out of it. made my brother cough and eyes burn lol.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
anyways, where should that EGR valve be connected to?
your car i think has a tube that is threaded from the exhaust header to the valve itself on the back side of the intake near the throttle body. That tube could be cracked too.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Also, I read somewhere that all 94 & up mustangs had bad brake boosters causing the pedal to be hard to press. is their a cheap fix for this? maybe put a cobra booster on it?:headscratch:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.