Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard so much technical terms when it comes to exhaust systems. I can't find many sites that will give you info on what everything means so maybe you guys can help me out?

Whats the difference between H-pipes and X-pipes?
What are Axle-backs?
What are Cat-Backs?
What are Headers?(I have a feeling these are the exhaust pipes coming out of the engine?)
What are offroad X-pipes?
Do performance exhaust systems come with their own mufflers or do we just take the stock mufflers on our cars and attach them to the performance exhaust system?

Sorry for all the questions, but it would be a huge help. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
LOL, I'll give it a shot...

The right and left side system is welded together after your cats, looks like and H, you can see it from looking in from the rear... They both equalize the preassure between the sides and help flowing, the X a bit more at higher rpms...
What are Axle-backs?
New aftermarket mufflers with short pipes attaching to the stock system around your rear axle.
What are Cat-Backs?
See above but has longer pipes that goes all the way to the cathalytic converters.
What are Headers?(I have a feeling these are the exhaust pipes coming out of the engine?)
Yes, the stock ones look like a big logg or brick... just a way to get all four out ports from the heads joined into that sides exhaust.
The 'mid section' of the exhaust, after the headers before the mufflers, can be replaced with open pipes missing the restrictive catz... They are for offroad use only as it's a federal crime to drive without cathalythic cleaning...
Do performance exhaust systems come with their own mufflers or do we just take the stock mufflers on our cars and attach them to the performance exhaust system?
Your exhaust is in four pieces, headers, cats, H, and mufflers... You can change all and any of those... I guess if you got a whole system from someone (Bassani, JBA, etc.) it would include mufflers...

And as you know the AM exhaust on the S197 doesn't really have much power gains in it... I'd luv to have catted equal-lenght long tube cheramic headers, a X out to a Corsa mufflers... I have the X and JBA muffs and that will do for a while... Looks and sounds better and will give some umph in the mid register where I'll be working it with the SC...

·
Registered
297 Posts
tw0scoops123 said:
What are Axle-backs?
What are Cat-Backs?
Wow. here we go,

1. H and X are the physical shape of the balance tube or crossover between the two exhaust pipes and are up front just behind the converters. they balance out the pressure pulses of the exhaust from side to side to help the flow. they will add a distinct sound. H-pipes are tuned more for lower RPMs and X at higher.

2. Axel backs on our cars are just the mufflers and tips.

3. Cat backs are everything from the converters back. H-pipe, exhaust pipe to the axel and then the mufflers/tail pipe, or tips.

4. headers are indeed the tubes coming out of the engine cylinder heads. there are long and short, equal length and un-equal length, big/small tube and emission certified and off road. shortys will bolt right up to your factory exhaust, directly replacing the (cast iron) exhaust manifold, easiest install. Long tube will need additional parts to connect to the exhaust. usually you cannot keep the converters because there is no room left.
equal and un-equal length will affect the "tune" of the exhaust bacause of the time the individual runners meet in the collector affect the scavaging of the engine. this tune is also affected by the overall length of the header, short or long. generally shortys are tuned for lower RPMs and long headers are tuned for higher RPMs. are we having fun yet?
small tube/big tube affect the tune of the exhaust bacause of the back pressure induced by the size (and length) of the primaries (tubes coming out of the engine) smaller having more back pressure/larger having less. some back pressure is needed, especially on a street driven car to keep the torque of the engine up. more back pressure=more torque and less horsepower. less back pressure=less torque and more horsepower, very simply put, and of course there are exceptions and variables way, way outside the scope of this explanation. oh yeah, we're having fun now!

5. anything off road usually means that they are not emissions certified. on H/X-pipes it means that you won't get converters.

6. a performance exhaust system by definiton will be complete. most parts are sold individually like headers or headers and x-pipe or just mufflers (axel-back). the exhaust pipes (from the H/X-pipe to the muffler) on the 05 are pretty good so most people do not replace them.

buying a complete system will be some major coin. I plan on starting with headers (prolly Mac's, maybe long tube) then an X-pipe and see if i'm happy with the sound. if not then I might do mufflers.

I know that this will not answer all your questions but at least it will help you come up with some more. :smilie

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow. Thanks alot to both of you. Great answers:worship

My only other question would be, how do you know what kinda exhaust notes are you gunna get when you swap out different parts of the exhaust system with pars from multiple brands(ie JBA, corsa, Magnaflow, Borla, etc)? Trial and error? Cuz I'd hate to do this down the road and not like the sound it makes(in which it would be too late since i spent alot of money on the pipes)

And the ultimate goal of every performance system is to increase flow out of the engine manifold right? Or does each exhaust system handle the flow a little different(so there would be pro's and con's to using different exhaust parts from different brands)?

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Impossible to know so trial and error... many manufacturers have a distinctive sound for prevous year Stangs and try to stay close to that... the only thing you can do is listen to cars and ask/see what they have...

Or you can ask at AFM... I think we have most systems covered... I'v had the Loudmouths, the MACs and now the JBAs.. I have an Bassani X... The LMs were to loud, the MACs had a drone, the JBA's are just perfect, no power but looks and sound! The X makes it a bit quicker sounding, not the car but the exhaust... more Ferrari V12, less American V8 rumble I'd guess...?? :tongue

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
kj_cinci said:
Impossible to know so trial and error... many manufacturers have a distinctive sound for prevous year Stangs and try to stay close to that... the only thing you can do is listen to cars and ask/see what they have...

Or you can ask at AFM... I think we have most systems covered... I'v had the Loudmouths, the MACs and now the JBAs.. I have an Bassani X... The LMs were to loud, the MACs had a drone, the JBA's are just perfect, no power but looks and sound! The X makes it a bit quicker sounding, not the car but the exhaust... more Ferrari V12, less American V8 rumble I'd guess...?? :tongue
The X being the Bassani X?

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
tw0scoops123 said:
The X being the Bassani X?
Yes, in my case the Bassani X-pipe...

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
kj_cinci said:
Yes, in my case the Bassani X-pipe...
How does it feel that you have over 1000 posts?:happyhapp I hope to be there soon.

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
LOL... I don't know... hadn't thought about it... now I'm getting all misty eyed... :sadcry:

R

·
0 Posts
Kooks Long Tubes, Kooks Hi-Flo catted X-pipe, Borla cat-back with 3 inch chrommies complete with adjusted fuel table tune per dyno.

Pure beastly rage at WOT.

Oh and appx 20 rwhp gains...
With a S/C I would expect even higher gains accordingly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts