Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a nice '05 V6 convertible last week and finally got around to going through it today....upon removing the bottom rear seat, there was a lot of water, both in the seat foam itself and pooled up water in the well. I vac'd out nearly 3 gals worth and the seat is still hanging up, dripping. Probably at least another 5 gals in that...question is-where is this coming from. the car shows 0 signs of any leaks. This is a head-scratcher. ...Anyone??

·
Registered
111 Posts
Feel the front carpet and see if its wet as well. Many early S197's had leaks up front that can pool in the rear area. Two areas to check are under the passenger cowl. Remove the cowl cover and inspect the area inside for water, clean the rubber debris trap out if there is crap in there. on the way out, you'll see 4-5 rectangular plugs right below the windshield line, carefully remove and clean those, seal really well with silicone and reinstall them. Retain the felts and apply silicone to all sides and both sides of the felts.

Now you'll have move to the rear to find the weep holes for the Vert top and clean those, usually you can see those from under the car. If any water makes it past the top, the weep holes are the next defense as they allow the water to drain out from underneath. I don't recall if the S197 has them or where they are but most Verts have them to allow areas prone to water to dry.. Usually they are in the side window well area so look directly underneath the window area from underneath the car.

Drop the top enough to inspect the top under the black belt molding for tears or areas that may need some attention.

·
Super Moderator
8,418 Posts
There are also oblong shaped drains spaced under the car where the body panels are crimped together that run from front to rear wheels. Poke a wire in them to be sure they are not obstructed.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Richy04, yea, I had that problem on my last 05 with the cowl. Man, the stuff that came out of there you would not believe! But this one is different-I checked that cowl area first and it's OK...there's a slight amount of debris, but I got it clear. No water seepage from there at all and front carpet is bone dry. No smells or evidence of it ever been soaked. In fact, the rear carpet is also dry-the water is strictly collecting under the rear seat. I didn't know about those rear drains that you mentioned, however. I'm going to poke around there today & see what's what. It's GOT to be coming from the back area...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Anyone have a resolution? I have the same problem.
2008 convertible, cleaned front cowl, and cleared drains at the bottom of quarter panel.

Water under the back seat after hard rain. See picture/ arrow for where the water is coming from. This picture if of under the back seat on the passenger side. The water is coming from the side of the car in toward the middle into the rear seat wells. Both sides have the issue.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you ever find a solution to the problem?
2008 convertible, cleaned front cowl, and cleared drains at the bottom of quarter panel.

Water under the back seat after hard rain. See picture/ arrow for where the water is coming from. This picture if of under the back seat on the passenger side. The water is coming from the side of the car in toward the middle into the rear seat wells. Both sides have the issue.

·
Registered
11,403 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Picked up a nice '05 V6 convertible last week and finally got around to going through it today....upon removing the bottom rear seat, there was a lot of water, both in the seat foam itself and pooled up water in the well. I vac'd out nearly 3 gals worth and the seat is still hanging up, dripping. Probably at least another 5 gals in that...question is-where is this coming from. the car shows 0 signs of any leaks. This is a head-scratcher. ...Anyone??

Check this out this guy showed EXACTLY where the wheep holes are and how to unclog it- I had a few galloons swishing around cause the drains were apparently clogged. all you need is a long antenna or what i used was a fiberglass stick from one of my kites! worked perfect. Good luck

·
Registered
2007 Mustang GT Convertible
30 Posts
Check your weather strips for the windows are forming a decent seal, also make sure your short drop function for the windows is forming a tight seal into the roof, you will also see in the bottom corners of your doors have little rubber water drainage bungs, remove them and make sure there isn’t debris build up in the bottom of the doors preventing water draining from them

·
Registered
1 Posts

I am dealing with this for what I think is the first time (at least this bad) and I have had my 05 for 15 years. The water was so bad that it DID also soak the passenger rear carpet. Did you ever find a resolution?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts