Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
I am thinking of ordering this v6 dual exhaust conversion kit from AM in a few weeks.
Pypes V6 True Dual Exhaust Kit (05-10 Mustang V6) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

It has great reviews and stuff, but some people on youtube videos of it say that it creates a horrible drone inside the car at around 2000 rpms. They said they had to like replace the mufflers with Gt500 takeoffs or something to make the drone go away. Has anyone else who has used this kit had the same problem with the mufflers that come with it? :eek:

·
Registered
344 Posts
I don't know about those mufflers causing a drone, but I do lnow that you can go to Newtakeoff.com and get a dual kit that includes teh Pypes X and Mid pipes and some GT take off mufflers for $320 plus shipping (shipping to FLA is $93). I have that same combination on my car and it has no drone whatsoever. In my case I am using 2007 GT mufflers. The GT mufflers will not give you any drone.

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
ive been running the gt mufflers for a few years now, same thing never had any drone. i`m thinking any of the louder mufflers are gonna cause that. i`m glad i didnt get caught up in buying sets of mufflers. on a bad note, i noticed that new takeoff doesnt have any more of the mufflers unless you buy the kit from them. so they are hoarding them just to sell the kits they have.

just like jba did with my stainless h pipe system, they only sell the system with their mufflers.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have the true dual exaust on my 2009 V6, and they have some drone, but not enough in my opinion to be concerned. in fact i find myself leaving the radio off to enjoy the sounds of the Pypes. as I accelerate down the road. :cooldude:

·
Registered
704 Posts
I dont think drone is a big deal personally. I enjoy listin to the car, i do have drone around 2000 to 2500, but its not a big deal. Most after market systems do have some drone but liek they others said GT takeoffs wont give you much drone

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Hey,
I am thinking of ordering this v6 dual exhaust conversion kit from AM in a few weeks.
Pypes V6 True Dual Exhaust Kit (05-10 Mustang V6) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

It has great reviews and stuff, but some people on youtube videos of it say that it creates a horrible drone inside the car at around 2000 rpms. They said they had to like replace the mufflers with Gt500 takeoffs or something to make the drone go away. Has anyone else who has used this kit had the same problem with the mufflers that come with it? :eek:

If you were worried about drone(my weekend car is turbo and has an open wastegate and open downpipe, so I know all about drone) there are several ways around it.
1. step on the gas, just give it a little gas and the "drone" will turn into quality exhaust note.
2. go to a higher gear. If you are cruising at 2500rpm in 3rd, go to 4th and down to 1800rpm.
3. turn up the radio a little.

Drone is just the "harmonic-resonance" of the exhaust and changing RPM or turning the radio up a little bit will easily overcome that.

·
Registered
217 Posts
The Ford Racing dual kit either the old one that uses GTA mufflers or the new one that uses GTB mufflers both sound great and have absolutely no drone at all.

·
Registered
531 Posts
i am like these guys i turn down the radio to hear my exhaust. i just love the sound which is why i didnt buy a prius :coffee

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
I also have the (True Dual Exhaust Kit) from NTO, it sounds awsome with the GT Mufflers, I would'nt change a thing:bigthumbsup and the price is good too:winks

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i am like these guys i turn down the radio to hear my exhaust. i just love the sound which is why i didnt buy a prius :coffee
Haha yea I love the sound of the exhaust! I just don't like that kinda low drone that gives you a headache. But I read on one of the reviews on AM's site for the exhaust that a CAI will fix the problem, and I do have one so I should be fine. Hopefully gonna order within the next week. :D

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Haha yea I love the sound of the exhaust! I just don't like that kinda low drone that gives you a headache. But I read on one of the reviews on AM's site for the exhaust that a CAI will fix the problem, and I do have one so I should be fine. Hopefully gonna order within the next week. :D
Yea I have a JLT CAI and when I still had the Factory (single) Muffler on it gave it a Deeper Throatier Sound, then with the Duals it really shined.
Now the True Dual Kit I got from NTO is made By (Pypes Prefrmance Exhaust) the X-Pipe and Mid Pipes anyway, the GT Take Off Mufflers are of course from a GT Mustang. Is the kit from AM made by the Same Company, Pypes Preformance Exhaust with just different Mufflers??? If so and Im Not trying to change your mind from Buying from AM , but it's sure cheaper if it is from NTO.

·
Registered
746 Posts
i had that exact set up from pypes,true dual with the violators, droned like crazy!!! sounds good but after i did it my wife used to where ear plugs where ever we went. i was ok with it,but it did get annoying after a while. i know have a v8,if i had a v6 again i would do duals with oem gt mufflers.
i just put pype bombs on my gt,wow they are loud!a little drone,no where near what my 6'er did with the violators.

·
Registered
882 Posts
When I first got my Terminators installed the drone was nerve wrecking. I thought the cops would pull me over. But over time the drone went down and now my car sounds really sweet. I drove down to Mexico last night and there was little traffic so I opened her up, it was amazing. I really like how my exhaust tone changes drastically when I put her in Overdrive.

·
Registered
654 Posts
sorry guys, random question... does anyone know anything about the welded muffler from thrush? I'm goin to an exhaust shop for custom exhaust, but I'm not sure what mufflers I want to put on... the guy there said they had magnaflow and a cheaper type of magnaflow... but I don't know if it'll sound ricy or not.. that's the last thing I want on a mustang! I make fun of the folger-can exhaust, I don't want to be hypocritical lol

·
Registered
53 Posts
personally i really love the sound of the exhaust from inside my car, and i wouldn't change a thing... although i don't have the pypes kit i do have some drone between 2 and 3 thousand RPM's. i think that if your buying an aftermarket exhaust you should want to hear the difference... otherwise you probably should have just saved the money and stayed stock... i love the sound of my car and i find myself turning the radio down a lot and rolling the windows down so i can take in the full sound from my car, nothing like it :yelp leased:

·
Registered
717 Posts
No Drone

Newtakeoff.com is the way to go. I don't have any drone at all. the OEM gt mufflers produce a good quality sound, just remember we don't have the V8 and will not get the ultimate sound out of it :laugh:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts