Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i ran my car pritty near empty today and the fuel pump started buzing.. it was really noticable.. i then went and put ten bucks in and it stopped.. is this normal? because its never done it to me before?

·
Banned
9,216 Posts
well it coulda been struggling to suck it up,

its never good to run it too low, esp often. something my mom DOES NOT GET.

its a rule in the stang 1/4 minumim.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
You were sucking air in the pump. That is a disaster waiting to happen. SVO is correct the fuel cools the pump. Not only internally but also externally. Never do these two things with an intank pump.
1 never run it below 1/4
2 never fill the tank with the car not RUNNING

:nono::nono::nono::nono::nono::nono:

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
2 never fill the tank with the car not RUNNING
Ummmm, Gas stations have signs that tell you to turn off your car while filling. I'm not sure what goes on down where you live but they wouldn't like it if you kept your car running while your pumping it up.:headscratch::headscratch::headscratch:

·
Registered
411 Posts
You were sucking air in the pump. That is a disaster waiting to happen.
there was no air being sucked by the pump. the gasoline cools the pump as well as insulates the sound. you heard the sound of the pump. not a big deal. just dont run it for a long time with that little amount of gas

·
Registered
960 Posts
Ummmm, Gas stations have signs that tell you to turn off your car while filling. I'm not sure what goes on down where you live but they wouldn't like it if you kept your car running while your pumping it up.:headscratch::headscratch::headscratch:

one time when i was at the pump there was a guy filling up his f150 with it running and him smoking a cigarette.:nono:

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
When the fuel gets low the pump does make more noize because the fuel around the pump insulates the noize. But it also can suck in air when the gas sloshes around and that causes noize. Modern pump systems are incased in a plastic cavity on new cars to stop airation from slosh. As far as keeping the car running. 80% of the pumps we replace have recently been filled up. Pumps fail most of the time when they are low on fuel and being refuled. If the car is running the pump is being cooled. If its off the pump is real hot and the cool gas coming in on refule shocks the pump internals. I an totally awaire of the rules on the pump that say engine off and no sparks.

·
Registered
146 Posts
My 88 I had had a noisy pump. It would always groan but be really loud once it got below half a tank. I had a new pump installed and it was totally silent all the time. Once the pumps get some age and wear on them, they will start to get noisy.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
The rule of thumb on an in tank pump is replace it at 75,000-80,000 miles if it has never been changed

·
Registered
68 Posts
guess i have an aberration fuel pump... 200,000 miles on it! how many can say that? mine's always been noisy too though. don't matter how much gas is in tank, just buzzes all the time.... hope it stays alive a little longer...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.