Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Mustang GT with the Mach 460 upgrade. But nothing from the Mach 460 is still there except for the amps. The previous owner had it wired for subs but took them out before selling it. My dad and I have lots of experience with sound systems so we know what we are doing. I have a Kenwood aftermarket stereo with 4 matching kenwood speakers. Great sound! Every time I turn the car on I get a loud POP from the speakers. I have heard it's maybe from the amps or needs a fuse or something along those lines, maybe I'm wrong. Also on a side note, every once in a while, the bass cuts out on me COMPLETELY! I have to restart the stereo in order to go back to normal. Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
I assume that you've got some after market head unit?

I had the same thing going on when I bought my car, which had the factory Shaker 500 system and a Pioneer head unit hacked into the dash. The pop made my dog nervous and afraid to ride in the car. I replaced the head with a factory unit, and its a much better system now.

I think it has something do do with the interaction between the head and the remote factory amps.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
There is a circuit that runs between the head unit and the amps. It's used by the head unit to signal the amps to turn on. For after market units the wire color is usually blue.

The Ford units use a 5 volts turn on voltage. Most after markets use a 12 volt turn on voltage. If this is your problem, one solution is to install a resister in the blue line.

However, I don't know the value of the resister. But this should give you some place to start looking.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts