Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was getting in my car to go pick up some mazzio's then i heard this loud squealing sound so i poped hood to check it out i thought it was a belt slip at first but then it was a steady LOUD noise like something was locked and belt was just going over top of it but i checked and all pullies were spining freely and then car just died like back when my intake pipe fell off lol

i checked all vaccumm lines (and intake pipe again) to be sure nothing came undone all looked good and then i started it up, no noise for about 10 secs and then it had a little squeak when i took off and that was the end for a little while, got out on the road and it drove just like normal with no hesitation or anything, i stopped at the light coming off the highway and i heard a little squeak (one) then i got to go and it stopped making noise, never heard a noise again even let it set for a little while when i got back home

anybody have a clue wtf just happened to my car?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Did the noise sound like it was coming from the water pump area? This sounds pretty similar to the problem that got me to join the forum which is the camshaft synchronizer. My cam synchro got so bad that the squealing happened not even 10 seconds after I started my car. If your car is making the squealing often, one way to check to see if it is the cam synchro is by taking off the belt and starting your car. If the noise continues, I'd bet everything that it is indeed your camshaft synchronizer! Hopefully this helps.

Oh and also, my car sometimes hesitated while driving and sometimes turned off while at idle. Just some symptoms to look for as well.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
update: i let it run for about 3-4 mins while it was setting outside and it was fine with no noise, about 20 mins later i start it up again to pull it into the garage for the night and its fine til i get down to the garage and it starts squealing loud again and it tries to die on me as i pull it into the garage, but when i get it stopped and put it in park it stops within a short time, i tried to get my camera out to tape the sound but it stopped as soon as i did

it sounds like its right at the front of the engine but it was terrible when i was pulling into the garage and felt like a heavy camed race car as it loped into the garage jumping the whole time but as i said it stopped soon after i put it in park and let it idle, please help, i have no clue what to do and i have school tuesday

Thanks Guys!!

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did the noise sound like it was coming from the water pump area? This sounds pretty similar to the problem that got me to join the forum which is the camshaft synchronizer. My cam synchro got so bad that the squealing happened not even 10 seconds after I started my car. If your car is making the squealing often, one way to check to see if it is the cam synchro is by taking off the belt and starting your car. If the noise continues, I'd bet everything that it is indeed your camshaft synchronizer! Hopefully this helps.
thats safe to do starting it without the belt? should i let it cool down some first before i do this?

·
Registered
301 Posts
I would let it cool down first just to avoid overheating. Don't drive it without the belt just start the car without it and check where the noise is coming from. It's common to misdiagnose the squeal as the water pump failing.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
alright, i'll try in about 30mins as it is still decently warm, if thats the problem how much would it be to have someone do this usually, if this happened at begining of weekend i might have attemped to do it myself but i dont have time now unfortunantly, and the only reason im on here now is because this scared the crap out of me when it died, im working on homework still while on here haha, d*** college work, thanks man!!

·
Registered
301 Posts
No problem, it shouldn't take very long, I had a mechanic do the job for me for $50 without the parts. But if you want to try and do the job yourself, I think there is a sticky at the top of the v6 tech page about the camshaft synchronizer. Let me know how the start up without the belt goes!

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
if youve spent any time on this forum you should know that, when there is a squeak that isnt the belt and is in the front of the engine, you should immediately suspect the camshaft position synchronizer

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i did it, it made almost no noise but there was a faint faint squeak, but when i went to shut it off it moaned like crazy before it stopped spinning, however when i put the belt back on it and started to make sure it tracked right it was almost a constant noise (maybe because of increased load from acces.?) so then it is almost definently the sync. then possiblely something else you think too??

mark, i always avoided the matters with the sync because i didnt know much about, goes to show i should've paid more attention huh lol, well since it made noise like that i will get part and have it put in tomorrow, thanks again guys!! i love this forum haha

·
Registered
301 Posts
If it made the noise without the belt, I'd get the synchro and sensor replaced for now and hopefully that'll take care of the problem!

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
man that thing is expensive, its 134 plus tax at oreillys and autozone didn't have it according to the website wtf? and then i have to buy the sensor too don't i or can i reuse mine?

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/MOT0/DA2091.oap?pt=04161&ppt=C0364

edit: wait auto did have it but they called it crank angle sensor for some reason and its got synchronizer in description, thats messed up, and its a lot cheaper lol

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Dorman-Crank-Angle-Sensor/_/N-9na0y?itemIdentifier=916451&_requestid=1579427

·
Registered
301 Posts
Damn that sounds like a load of BS!! I bought mine for $30 with my friends discount at NAPA. I think retail should be about $50 there. It also came with the sensor but, there is no way in hell I paid over $100 for that part alone, you should definitely shop around, starting with NAPA!

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Damn that sounds like a load of BS!! I bought mine for $30 with my friends discount at NAPA. I think retail should be about $50 there. It also came with the sensor but, there is no way in hell I paid over $100 for that part alone, you should definitely shop around, starting with NAPA!
yeah i did, and they came with sensor i didn't pay attention to picture, but every place is not going to be able to have it in stock so it will be wednesday before i can have it in hand and get it done, damn, i should leave my car parked in garage right, can it hurt to drive it with it acting like that to school tuesday? (70 mile round trip)

·
Registered
301 Posts
Well as far as hurting it, I'm not sure. However, the problems will get worse if you continue to drive it! The worst it got with me was driving it on the highway and hesitating at 50 mph (literally jerking me back and forth at random times) and stalling out at idle. After experiencing all that, I'd just find a different way to get to school just to stay on the safe side.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i just talked to mom and she's gonna let me drive her yota to school tuesday since step-dad has 2 vehicles and she can drive one, i don't want to risk hurting my baby this close to the great goal i have been waiting to happen for such a long time (bottem of sig)
thanks again guys, maybe this one will last another 113K miles :winks

·
Registered
301 Posts
Cool, hopefully you can get some progress done on your car! Meanwhile, I'm stuck here with my car overheating from a fan that has a mind of its own and slipping trans!! :fuming:

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
oh man, electrical problems suck and transmissions are no better, good luck, hope you can get that sorted out soon :gringreen

·
Registered
301 Posts
Thanks!! Post a reply when you get the job started or finished!

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
it's fixed, took about an hour of nonconsecutive working, it cost $92+tax, since my windstar intake was in the way of doing this he was going to charge me extra, even though it took only 4 bolts and a hose clamp to move tb and pipe out of way he thought that was extra work :hihi: but he didn't so its not a big deal :winks

edit:i just happened to accidently click your profile and i noticed your name, i didn't even recognize your the guy i added on fb :heha:

·
Registered
301 Posts
Glad to hear the problem is fixed! :bigthumbsup And yep I'm that guy! But you'll probably find me here more often than you do there lol!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts