Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently completely rebuilt my 302 H.O. motor and spent about $3,500 doing so. I put in a mild cam, forged internals, upgraded almost everything, but nothing extremely radical, just something that would work for a daily driver with a little more horse power. Any way, I broke in my engine right. I used non-detergent oil until I hit 500 miles then switched over to regular. I waited 1000 miles until I completely opened it up. Everything was fine until I noticed a ticking noise a few days later but it wasn't there before I did so. You can only here the ticking noise at idle, anything past 1,500 RPM and you can't notice it. I have no power loss, and it still runs and drives great, but this noise is driving me crazy. Any Suggestions?

·
Registered
887 Posts
It could be a lot of things: exhaust leak, vacuum leak, belt could be no good, fan might be hitting shroud, could be valves, etc. Check for everything that you can external and see if you can pinpoint it.

·
Registered
638 Posts
check the simple things first. Check your Valve Lash, and for a minor exhaust leak @ the exhaust manifold

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
I have a serpentine belt that does that on my truck. You can find out by holding a bar of lye soap under the belt as it idles. See if noise goes away. Otherwise Id say you have a loose rocker. You can check for this by using something like a funnel to enhance noise from the valve covers.

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
Could be exhaust or lifters but usually they get louder with rpm's

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.