Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week, I got my C&L CAI and SCT tuner for my 2011 V6 convertible. My car has a 6-speed manual and 2.73 rear. After stalling the CAI and 93 octane performance tune, I took a test drive. Mind you, my car performed great in stock form, but what a difference. The throttle response was very noticeably improved, especially above 2000 rpm. There was also more growl in the exhaust. It is worth noting that these improvements did not change the convertible's personality, which is good. :gringreen

Also, I'd like to know what kind of mileage other owners of 2011 V6 Mustangs are getting. I get about 27 mpg on the highway, instead of the rated 31. I'm okay with this, as I did not buy my convertible for the fuel mileage, but I'm still curious.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Last week, I got my C&L CAI and SCT tuner for my 2011 V6 convertible. My car has a 6-speed manual and 2.73 rear. After stalling the CAI and 93 octane performance tune, I took a test drive. Mind you, my car performed great in stock form, but what a difference. The throttle response was very noticeably improved, especially above 2000 rpm. There was also more growl in the exhaust. It is worth noting that these improvements did not change the convertible's personality, which is good. :gringreen

Also, I'd like to know what kind of mileage other owners of 2011 V6 Mustangs are getting. I get about 27 mpg on the highway, instead of the rated 31. I'm okay with this, as I did not buy my convertible for the fuel mileage, but I'm still curious.
I got the Performance Package 6MT on mine and on a good day on a full highway trip I have gotten around 25/26 mpg. My average per computer is around 20 combined.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Mileage will vary, understand that the 31 hwy stat takes into account driving at the speed limit on flat ground, anything other than that & mpg drop. The hwy speed limits in So Cal are 65 or 70 mph & I usually drive 75-80 mph. My mpg average is 25-26 Hwy, 19 -20 city on a Bama 91 octane performance tune.

Congrats on the CAI.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Mileage will vary, understand that the 31 hwy stat takes into account driving at the speed limit on flat ground, anything other than that & mpg drop. The hwy speed limits in So Cal are 65 or 70 mph & I usually drive 75-80 mph. My mpg average is 25-26 Hwy, 19 -20 city on a Bama 91 octane performance tune.

Congrats on the CAI.
cruising speeds in that range should not effect you mpg. what drains the fuel is the constant acceleration up to speed which is why driving through hills drops your mpg and city driving drops your mpg. But even if you are hwy driving and you do a good deal of accelerating to pass cars then you will see your mpg drop. But if you drive constant at 80 as oppsed to 70 you should not see a drop form 30mpg to 25.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Yeah, it's amazing what two little things can do! I love what the tuner does for the pedal and drivability of the car. The cold air adds decent acceleration and also makes the exhaust a bit louder and deeper.

It makes you wonder why Ford doesn't offer some sort of "Sport" or "Performance" package. Where they put on a cold air intake and tune the car to perform more like an aftermarket tune. Plus maybe some steeper gears, 3.55, 3.73, or 4.10. And maybe a suspension mod or two. LCAs. I think plenty of people would jump all over it.

BTW, if you want to add some really nice acceleration, swap those 2.73s for some 3.73s, or 3.55s (or 4.10:gringreen).

Will make a big difference. 2.73 gears are a fuel economy gear. With a 4.10 and my 5 speed trans I usually average between 23-26MPG pure highway. With your 6 speed trans, you'd do better. Plus, if you buy FRPP gears and have a Ford dealer install them it shouldn't void the warranty. Just an idea.

Congrats.

-Chris

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the responses

My next Mustang project is underdrive polleys for my 2007 GT/CS, which already has a C&L CAI and Diablosport premium fuel tune. Maybe a 62mm throttle body later this summer.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Thanks for the review.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Nice! Now your next step is getting those gears out of there. Mine came with 2.73s and I happened to find barely used 3.31s from an '08 GT that I practically stole from the guy they were so cheap. I must say even with the 3.31s there was a significant improvement!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts