Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like every time I wash my kona blue mustang, I find another scratch. I know it's from either washing or drying...not from actually driving it. I guess such a dark color will show such things. Still...I'm bummed. So I break out the scratch x and go to work. It works decent, but they are still somewhat there.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Just like black paint. I love the Kona, but I can't stand how dark colors show every little imperfection. I feel for ya...

R

·
0 Posts
What towels are you using? That seems like the first place to look for the source of swirls/scratches.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
+1 on the microfiber towels, they are all I use. Some of those, some good cleaner wax and a nice detail towel should help a lot

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have black, so I know your pain- and if you want to take care of all those micro scratches that YOU are going to put in like I do, even if YOU don't put scratches on, look at autogeek.net I can't vouge for any other DA polisher, but I bought the cyclone, and used the Wolfgagng brand scratch and swirl remover, then the polish, and for a sealant I used the Klass- lasts up to a year, then used Mguire's Carnuba paste. Took 22 hours using the cyclone, but removed every scratch from my car, and I get nothing but comments. No joke, my paint always looks wet. Go to autogeek, and just watch some videos. I used to work in autobody, and always waxed in circular motions, like when you sand. Big no no. Put the wax on and off following the direction wind travels over the panel you are working. Made a HUGE difference. Just go check out some vids, and they will explain. If I were to get a rock scratch in my clear, I have no problem taking it out with the cyclone. I'ts expensive , but man am I glad I got it. Just my $.05

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I think 2010+ Mustangs look best in black but after my Phantom Black EVO I just couldn't stomach another black or dark colored car. Too hard to keep clean and imperfections are much easier to spot compared to lighter colors. The best way to keep scratches off is honestly be completely hands off except for waxing. Just wand wash your car at night and don't dry your car with a chamois. The problem with chamois is that unless you do a flawless job washing your car every time the chamois will pick up dirt/debris and finely scratch your clear coat as you dry it off. This paid off for my black EVO which was still almost scratch free when I sold it.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What towels are you using? That seems like the first place to look for the source of swirls/scratches.
I have a microfiber towel and sponge. I think I'm going to have to get another bucket and start doing the sudsy water bucket/ clean water bucket and wash all my towels and sponge every wash.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
This is why I stopped hand washing my cars. I think the automatic washes do less damage than I do.

I definitely spend a lot less time with my nose to the paint, so I don't see them...

·
Registered
826 Posts
This is why I stopped hand washing my cars. I think the automatic washes do less damage than I do.

I definitely spend a lot less time with my nose to the paint, so I don't see them...
But those automatic washes don't get your paint clean, at least the no-touch ones.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Keeping a substantial layer of wax on the car is the trick to dark colors, I have found.

Here are my layers on my Black Camaro:
Sealant > Carnauba Wax > Fine White Carnauba detailer

Looks like a mirror when you get done and makes the next wash clean so easily :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have black, so I know your pain- and if you want to take care of all those micro scratches that YOU are going to put in like I do, even if YOU don't put scratches on, look at autogeek.net I can't vouge for any other DA polisher, but I bought the cyclone, and used the Wolfgagng brand scratch and swirl remover, then the polish, and for a sealant I used the Klass- lasts up to a year, then used Mguire's Carnuba paste. Took 22 hours using the cyclone, but removed every scratch from my car, and I get nothing but comments. No joke, my paint always looks wet. Go to autogeek, and just watch some videos. I used to work in autobody, and always waxed in circular motions, like when you sand. Big no no. Put the wax on and off following the direction wind travels over the panel you are working. Made a HUGE difference. Just go check out some vids, and they will explain. If I were to get a rock scratch in my clear, I have no problem taking it out with the cyclone. I'ts expensive , but man am I glad I got it. Just my $.05
I use the Flex polisher and Wolfgang products. All purchased from autogeek.net. It's the only way to fly. Gotta use good microfiber towels and have a good layer of sealant or wax, or both.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.