Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed the FRPP short throw shifter this past weekend, and I have to say I feel frustrated that something like this isn't from the factory.

After taking out the bracket from underneath, it seriously looks like something you could make in your garage. The rubber bushing is held in the flimsy metal bracket by 2 zip ties, and is almost embarrasing to see on such a car!

This bracket is made like this clearly for cost which sacrifices/dampens a few thing that I have observed. One thing is the big rubber bushing dampens sound from the tranny. After I installed this shifter and bracket, I noticed right away I could really hear a deeper, more connected feel to the engine. It almost sounds like I put an mild exhaust upgrade! The aluminum bracket is able to transfer the sound from the tranny and engine, and thats also probably why Ford went with a rubber one... to reduce sound. Also the stock bracket sacrifices clear shift engagement, which is mainly why I went with one of these.

To those who have not upgraded, I REALLY reccomend it, especially with the 2-post bracket! Out of all of the mods I've done on 'stangs, this one was one of the most worth the money upgrades! (fun install too thumbsup3.gif) It feels wonderful and very soild. It makes the car sound deeper, and more muscular too, which I was not expecting. This is what it should be!!!

·
Registered
487 Posts
I'd look into a mgw shifter before i overpaid for the re-branded Barton that ford sells. Unless you're that concerned about warranty work, the mgw is a MUCH more complete package, glad you are happy with the upgrade op.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Can we get a break down on the kit contents from the MGW kit vs the FRPP racing kit?

·
Registered
487 Posts
Frpp is a Barton 2 post bracket and shifter, mgw is a full shifter replacement, both the upper and lower shifter boxes, bracket, and is from my experience, the best shifter out there.

·
Registered
287 Posts
If you look at the MGW install video you can see that the MGW shifter is a complete shifter replacement. The Ford racing is a Barton 2 post clone with just a ford racing shift ball and this shifter uses the oem lower shift box which has very ****** support bushings for the shift linkage. JMO

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
And just think you may still have to deal with high rpm lockouts, and the clutch pedal sticking to the floor during spirited driving! And you know what else, the new re designed 2015 mustang will have the same manual tranny with the flimsy rubber zip tied bracket!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And just think you may still have to deal with high rpm lockouts, and the clutch pedal sticking to the floor during spirited driving! And you know what else, the new re designed 2015 mustang will have the same manual tranny with the flimsy rubber zip tied bracket!

Yes the MGW shift is a great shifter as well, I went with the Ford Racing one because I've always liked the construction of the Barton shifters, and have always heard good reviews on them. Just haven't heard much about the MGW short throw until recently

Curious... where have you heard that rpm lockouts and clutch petals sticking during spirited driving with this shifter is still a risk? I haven't heard of that happening when upgrading the bracket, eliminating skip shift, or adding XL-18 tranny additive. Maybe on a stock shifter and bracket

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'd look into a mgw shifter before i overpaid for the re-branded Barton that ford sells. Unless you're that concerned about warranty work, the mgw is a MUCH more complete package, glad you are happy with the upgrade op.
Well, if something happens to the tranny and it's not the shifters fault, and you have a MGW shifter, would Ford deny coverage if you have a completely replaced shifter? That would be my only concern knowing the uncertainty of the MT-82

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Well, if something happens to the tranny and it's not the shifters fault, and you have a MGW shifter, would Ford deny coverage if you have a completely replaced shifter? That would be my only concern knowing the uncertainty of the MT-82
Whether it’s the Ford racing or MGW you’ll be in the same place. Just because its FRP it doesn’t mean you’re covered by your factory warranty. Great mod though, the stock shifter is a joke.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have the Barton 2-Post shifter and you are right!

What a night and day difference from the factory shifter. I have the Barton 2 Post bracket shifter unit as opposed to the Ford Racing 2 Post bracket shifter unit. They are identical and I do not know if Barton makes the shifter but who cares!!! They BOTH Rock. Now I have heard about MGW shifters but do not have too much info on them. Either way getting any after market shifter (Steeda, MGW, Barton, SR, etc) are way more SUPERIOR than the Stock shifter.

It is really spooky to see what the stock bracket is made out of....a piece of rubber wrapped in sheet metal with 2 tie down straps!!

But the fun of it all is the modifications of our Mustangs to feel the difference! My Debbie (My Mustang GT Name) is Awesome and glad to see you are happy too!!

Mustangs Rock!!! amer.gif

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
the Barton (which as said is who makes the shifter) is a great shifter, well made and Dave at Barton is a great guy as well. the mgw guys are gonna talk up their shifter, but the Barton is on par with it, besides you dont have that silly long wait to get the shifter as you will with mgw

·
Registered
287 Posts
Good things come for those who wait.:bigthumbsup And It only took a week to recieve it.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Whether it’s the Ford racing or MGW you’ll be in the same place. Just because its FRP it doesn’t mean you’re covered by your factory warranty. Great mod though, the stock shifter is a joke.
Yeah most likely, but to me I just feel a bit better knowing that there still is a stock part in the shifter assembly just incase if they were to try and come at me with saying it's completely aftermarket

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
If you look at the MGW install video you can see that the MGW shifter is a complete shifter replacement. The Ford racing is a Barton 2 post clone with just a ford racing shift ball and this shifter uses the oem lower shift box which has very ****** support bushings for the shift linkage. JMO
It's not a clone, its made for Ford by Barton.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.