Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Love the rims, hate the caps

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  ddfl02 
#1 ·
Any other owners out there who have the machine cast GT rims that come with the tacky ford center cap? Trying to figure what to do about the center cap without having to go out and buy whole new rims. Would like the pony center cap, but ford didnt make it for this rim. I honestly think rim is great, the cap however is another story.

#2 ·
Snipe6ib said:
Any other owners out there who have the machine cast GT rims that come with the tacky ford center cap? Trying to figure what to do about the center cap without having to go out and buy whole new rims. Would like the pony center cap, but ford didnt make it for this rim. I honestly think rim is great, the cap however is another story.
Are you referring to the 17" bright machined rims with the Ford logo in the middle?

#4 ·
I like them well enough. The center cap is cheap plastic (had to take it off 1st day to put the locks on) but I never really paid that much attention to it. It's tough for me to justify new rims but I have been looking quite a bit. My only problem with them is that they're factory rims. If you look at alternatives then you start thinking might as well go 18" and now you're really talking money. Those Pirellis that are sitting on those 17" rims are around $143 a pop. Lets say $250 a rim X 4 plus $150 a tire X 4. That's $1600. Ouch!!

#5 ·
Snipe6ib said:
Go to page 22.Wheel cover kit.Last post by Oldgrinder at bottom of the page. Click on photo link and see my pony cap on the alum. wheel.

#7 ·
ddfl02 said:
Oldgrinder, How did you get the center cap out and how did you install the
pony cap? Did they snap in or did you have to glue them in,
I used a 2.25" hole saw to cut out the Ford emblems. Then snap in the Pony caps and I did put some epoxy on the inside clips to keep the caps from rotating. Mines been on now for over a month with no problems.
Oldgrinder's rides.
2005 GT Mustang
1991 GMC Syclone

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.