Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! Ran into a problem with my 2005 GT this morning. It was dark so I turned on my low beams and they were on for about 15 seconds then they went out and there was a solid beeping noise from the dash but no warning lights were on. I turned off my low beams and turned back on again and same thing happened. Finished driving to the store with foglights on.

I got home and did a few tests --- Ingnition off: 1) turned on low beams, stayed on for 15 seconds then shutoff followed by constant beeping noise with no warning lights on 2) turned on high beams, they remained on. Ignition on: same results as ignition off.

I do have daytime running lights which were installed in July by a auto electrician. Thinking that they might be the problem, I pulled the in-line fuse for the DRL and but had same results and high beams work fine.

Anyone have any ideas or experience this problem? When the low beams go off the DRL come on at reduced power --- they use low beams at reduced power.

Thanks....Dave

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Problem Resloved

Hi! I found the problem thanks to the help from Web Electric. I had installed a DRL kit back in July which allowed my low beams to be on at redcued power as soon as the ignition was on. I had never driven my car at night since I had the kit installed. Obviously the computer did not like my DRL kit. I have since removed the DRL kit and all is back to normal -- thank God!

So if anyone knows of a DRL that runs your low beam on reduced power and is compatible with a 2005 Mustang please let me know --- thanks....Dave

PS -- I like the DRL with reduced power to low beams over the DRL to front directional lights for two reasons 1) I don't have to worry about turning on my headlights when it rains --- new law in California 2) I don't have to worry about turning on my headlights in daytime headlight zones -- another new ticketable law in California.

·
Registered
273 Posts
wow........thank goodness i dont live in california. me thinks they'll have everyone wearing helmets to drive a car before long.

·
Registered
897 Posts
RedFire_Dave said:
Hi! I found the problem thanks to the help from Web Electric. I had installed a DRL kit back in July which allowed my low beams to be on at redcued power as soon as the ignition was on. I had never driven my car at night since I had the kit installed. Obviously the computer did not like my DRL kit. I have since removed the DRL kit and all is back to normal -- thank God!

So if anyone knows of a DRL that runs your low beam on reduced power and is compatible with a 2005 Mustang please let me know --- thanks....Dave

PS -- I like the DRL with reduced power to low beams over the DRL to front directional lights for two reasons 1) I don't have to worry about turning on my headlights when it rains --- new law in California 2) I don't have to worry about turning on my headlights in daytime headlight zones -- another new ticketable law in California.
Why not get the dealer to turn on the DRL's through SBJ Smart Junction Box as we have DRL's in Canada. The DRL's only turn on the headlights and not the taillights or dash lights.

Daytime Running Lamps (DRL)

NOTE: The smart junction box (SJB) must be reconfigured before installing a new module. For additional information, refer to Section 418-00 .

The SJB controls the front and rear portion of the vehicle. This system relies on the controller area network (CAN) in order to transmit and receive signals. It is very important to understand:

where the input (command) originates from.
all information (messages) necessary in order for a feature to operate.
which module(s) receive(s) the input or command message.
if the module that receives the input (message) controls the output of the feature, or if it outputs a message over the CAN communication network to another module.
which module controls the output of the feature.

Daytime Running Lamps (DRL)

Refer to Wiring Diagrams Cell 87 for schematic and connector information.

Principles of Operation

If the SJB is configured for daytime running lamps (DRL), this feature illuminates the low beam headlamps at a reduced intensity when the following conditions exist:

The ignition switch is in the RUN position.
The headlamp switch is in the OFF position.
The PARK brake is not engaged.
For additional information on the low beam headlamps, refer to Section 417-01 .

Inspection and Verification

NOTE: When installing a new smart junction box (SJB), it must be reconfigured for this feature, if originally equipped. Refer to Section 418-01 .

Verify the customer concern by operating the daytime running lamps (DRL) following these steps:
Place the ignition switch in the RUN position.
Place the headlamp switch in the OFF position.
Verify that the PARK brake is not engaged.
If the DRL does not operate, make sure the SJB is configured for DRL before proceeding to the next step.
Verify the parking lamp operation.
Place the headlamp switch in the parking lamps ON position.
If the parking lamps do not operate correctly, refer to Section 417-01 .
Verify the high beam operation.
Place the headlamp switch in the headlamps ON position.
Place the multifunction switch in the HIGH BEAM position.
If the high beams operate correctly and the DRL operation is incorrect, install a new SJB. Refer to Section 419-10 . Test the system for normal operation.
If the high beams do not operate correctly, refer to Section 417-01 for correct diagnosis.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts