Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all.....well, here is the situation.....after drivin for a while, my coolant light turns on.....when this first happened, i opened up the coolant tank and saw i was a little low on coolant......i put a bottle of Redline Watter Wetter in and topped it off with a 50/50 mix of coolant.....well, the problem has not gotten any better.....i opened the coolant tank on wednesday after the car cooled down a little and all the coolant started gushing out of the tank.....the more i opened the tank, the faster it spilled out.....so, i closed the tank back up and the car drove fine for a couple of days, then the light came back on.....here is my question....what would cause the coolant to flow out of the tank against gravity?....it was like seepin up and out of the tank...i dont know what to do and want to make sure this is not a serious problem....by the way...the car drives fine and is still strong when the light is on, but i dont want to push it....any help, advice, suggestions are greatly appreciated!!
thanks all...

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'd wait a bit before taking the cap off, that is after turning the car off. The coolant is under pressure, it says it on the cap.

·
Registered
353 Posts
mustangGT3685 said:
I'd wait a bit before taking the cap off, that is after turning the car off. The coolant is under pressure, it says it on the cap.
If you gotta use a rag to wrench the cap off, you've not waited long enough. Any time the coolant escapes from the system thru the filler cap...it is too hot to monkey with....your dang lucky you didn't scald yourself.

Why are you using Watter Wetter? Are you in a severe heat area? If not, and you are having cooling issues, you may have a problem waiting for your elsewhere.

If your coolant level is full, and the light will not go out, you could have air around the sensor. A very light tunking with a small ball pien hammer should scatter those air bubbles so the sensor reads coolant.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i live in L.A. and where i live/go to school, the temp is around 90-100 daily and i sit in a lot of traffic.....now i didnt need a wrench to take off the cap and i did very light driving before, so i thought the possibility of getting burned was slim to none......the light for the coolant only comes on once in a while, after driving hard....will try the hammer thing next time it happens to see if it is an air bubble.....thanks for the info guys....:drink:

G

·
I remember a few years ago when i got an underbody wash on my car the low coolant light came on. I checked it and added the appropiate coolant. Light still came back on. I pulled the plug going to the sensor and it had water in it. So i left it disconnected so it could dry out and it fixed the problem. It did it again when i powerwashed the engine off. I had to do the same routine. Now i keep the water away from there and either the sensor died, lol or just i am keeping it dry now. Not saying this is your problem just those sensors are very picky.

·
Registered
2 Posts
mbhmustang1998 said:
I remember a few years ago when i got an underbody wash on my car the low coolant light came on. I checked it and added the appropiate coolant. Light still came back on. I pulled the plug going to the sensor and it had water in it. So i left it disconnected so it could dry out and it fixed the problem. It did it again when i powerwashed the engine off. I had to do the same routine. Now i keep the water away from there and either the sensor died, lol or just i am keeping it dry now. Not saying this is your problem just those sensors are very picky.
Where is this sensor you are talking about located? I think it got wet last night while driving through a tunder storm. If you can please let me know, thank you.

G

·
lordhell said:
Where is this sensor you are talking about located? I think it got wet last night while driving through a tunder storm. If you can please let me know, thank you.

I believe the whole sensor goes almost through the whole resevoir tank but the part where the electrical connecter is at and the part i am talking about is located, on my car at least, at the bottom of the resevoir tank on the right hand side, drivers side if u are standing over top of it. You can see it, its a little black thing with an electrical connecter that unsnaps from it. Did it come on after the storm or something? If not i wouldnt worry about it but if it came on immediately after the storm then its picky about water like mine! lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.