Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been looking for a nice, low mileage GT for some time now and I've come across it finally! However, I'm a little concerned with the fact that it's pretty built. It's an '04 40th anniversary with 35k original miles. Now, my thing is that I'll be driving this car for a few months before I can find a car that I can drive as a daily. What do you guys think? I'm not really sure if it's a good idea or not? It's got a crower stage 3 blower cam, stage 2 ported heads, forged connecting rods and pistons that are making it a low compression of 9:1, and a forged crank with an 8lb flywheel. There are other little bolt on mods that I'm not concerned about and I know don't jeopardize its reliability... What do you guys think? I can't upload a picture as of now... If it changes I'll post one.

·
Registered
8,704 Posts
Based on the information provided, the car sounds tip top. Obviously the current owner is getting it prepared for f/i, the only thing I would be concerned about is the streetability of those cams. For street driven cars, it is usually not reccomended to go past a "stage 2" cam, but all manufacturers are different and for all I know the Crower stage 3's might be a comparable grind to others' stage 2 designs.

Try to find out as much about the car as possible; what shop(s) did all the work, who tuned it (ask for a dyno sheet), stuff like that. Get a complete list of modifications performed; nothing sucks more than buying a modded car and not being sure what parts are on it should you run into any issues down the road. How much is the guy asking? Hopefully he is prepared to get hosed on his investment; he probably has 5 grand or so into it just under the hood and unfortunately it's not going to boost his sale price by very much. If I had to guess, a fair price would probably be about 2-3 grand over any similar (bone stock) cars you can find for reference.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He's asking $12k which is about what kbb is on an '04 with 35k miles... However I was gonna offer him just $10500 for it, but a professional shop did all the work and he said he's daily driven it for the past 10k miles. So it seems decent

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
I don't trust highly modded cars because who knows if it was done right...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
He's asking $12k which is about what kbb is on an '04 with 35k miles... However I was gonna offer him just $10500 for it, but a professional shop did all the work and he said he's daily driven it for the past 10k miles. So it seems decent
Does he have proof a shop did the work?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
125 Posts
The only way i would pay top dollar for a low mileage mustang is if it's 100% stock and i knew who owned it as mods to me means it been raced or something.. if you want a car with mods already then that is what your really buying as i don't think both exist where the owner didn't drive it like he stole it and the low miles means it's a real cherry .. but IMO

·
Registered
288 Posts
If he has records or receipts of the work being done I would say offer him 10,500 for sure!!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Agreed anyone doing that serious of work will have receipts and work orders

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using AutoGuide App

1 - 9 of 9 Posts