Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Only 900miles and the oil on the dipstick is less than a 1/4 inch below the lower hole on the dipstick. Im wondering if this is cause for concern on such a new engine? Should i add oil or take it to the dealer?

·
Registered
806 Posts
i have seen a couple threads like this already. Seems to be a common problem. try searching through the post to see if someone else has got an answer to your question

·
Banned
1,506 Posts
I don't mean to challenge you, but did you check it on level ground? Did you give it enough time to fully drain into the pan? Did you check and then recheck for a consistent reading? Sometimes the oil at only 900 miles is hard to see.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Only 900miles and the oil on the dipstick is less than a 1/4 inch below the lower hole on the dipstick. Im wondering if this is cause for concern on such a new engine? Should i add oil or take it to the dealer?
It depends on how much time you want to spend at the dealer's. If you have the time and like sitting, a trip to the dealer is in order, but in the absence of any other problems, they are likely to tell you do to something like the following:

First, I assume you are checking the oil after the engine is warmed up, and after it has sat for 15 minutes, per the owner's manual.

I'd fill it to the proper level per the owner's manual, note the date, mileage and oil added and check it daily or every 100 miles.

Assuming the oil level was correct from the factory (not necessarily a good assumption), there are only two ways oil can leave the engine... leaking or being burned in the cylinders... both are bad news.

Check the ground and the underside of the car to see if there are any visible signs of oil leaking

You should not see much consumption in another 900 miles (if you lose a quart in 900 miles, there is something wrong). If that happens head for the dealer with the dates and mileage you added the oil....

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't mean to challenge you, but did you check it on level ground? Did you give it enough time to fully drain into the pan? Did you check and then recheck for a consistent reading? Sometimes the oil at only 900 miles is hard to see.
I checked multiple times and parked at different spots. One part that had me unsure was how much this dipstick trails at the edges. Harder to read than any car ive owned. But the thickest spot with oil all across the dipstick is below the dot.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It depends on how much time you want to spend at the dealer's. If you have the time and like sitting, a trip to the dealer is in order, but in the absence of any other problems, they are likely to tell you do to something like the following:

First, I assume you are checking the oil after the engine is warmed up, and after it has sat for 15 minutes, per the owner's manual.

I'd fill it to the proper level per the owner's manual, note the date, mileage and oil added and check it daily or every 100 miles.

Assuming the oil level was correct from the factory (not necessarily a good assumption), there are only two ways oil can leave the engine... leaking or being burned in the cylinders... both are bad news.

Check the ground and the underside of the car to see if there are any visible signs of oil leaking

You should not see much consumption in another 900 miles (if you lose a quart in 900 miles, there is something wrong). If that happens head for the dealer with the dates and mileage you added the oil....
Thanks, great advice.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Would recommend everyone check the oil level every fill up at a minimum for a while after receiving your car. Always a good idea, anyway.

I've gone throuth 2 1/2 qts in the first 1500 miles and the dealer's documented it and in fact I've had them add it. I have a quart and half at home and will add myself and record, w/their concurrance.

If it doesn't settle down pretty soon...dam.

I have read some of these are burning ~ 1/2 qt every 750 miles or so for the first couple/few thousand but...this is a twice that.

Both Parts/Serv mgrs here tell me they've read of a couple guys who have trashed their motors because of this.

Tells me poorly seated rings, too. What else can it be? I've no evidence of leaks.

I followed the manual guidance on the first 1000 miles. No WOT for the first hundred and varied my speed and engine rpm for the first thousand.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Meant to say, Ronin, I'd call and talk to the service mgr, let him know and get his advice.

I'd wager you've not caused any damage.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Also meant to say, like mentioned, it's tough to see. I pull the dipstick and let the tube drain easier while sitting and then use a clean rag/paper towel to lay the stick against when eyeballing level and to help see it note the wet spot...that reminds me of a real funny story but, maybe some other time.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was checking for possible leaks and noticed there was oil around the oil filler cap again. I noticed this on the second day i got it and thought it was from when they filled it up originally and cleaned it up with a cloth, but it's back again. Normal?

·
Registered
644 Posts
i lost a quart the first 1,000 if it was in there to start with:laugh:. since addding at 1,000 no oil missing in action the next 2200 miles

·
Registered
544 Posts
I just added a quart at 2'800 miles.

·
Registered
532 Posts
2011 5.0 Oil Burning - MustangForums.com
It appears the 5.0L might only be available through 2013. quote]

Given the investment Ford made in Coyote development, and the fact that this isn't Ford's first engine development rodeo, I drew a different conclusion...

The 5.0 was designed with growth in mind (bosses are cast/forged into the heads for direct injection and they designed the motor with four bolt mains for additional power "in the future"). With those details in mind, I think they can wring 500 hp out of the Coyote...

I wonder how they're gonna get 5.4 L displacement, tho'. IIRC, the 5.0's bore maxed the tooling and cylinder design, so the only way they can get an additional .4 liter displacement would be to increase stroke by 10%?

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
I checked mine the day I brought it home. It was just below the Full mark. I checked it 10 mins ago and it has used about 1/8th of a quart in 2,845 miles. I feel pretty good about that.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
275 Posts
I checked mine the day I brought it home. It was just below the Full mark. I checked it 10 mins ago and it has used about 1/8th of a quart in 2,845 miles. I feel pretty good about that.:bigthumbsup
I'm amazed that someone can look at a dipstick, which only has an "operating range" and no calibration marks, and somehow deduce, "yup, she looks about 0.125 quarts low." How on earth can you tell that from a dipstick (unless that's how much you had to add to get it back to the full mark)?

·
Registered
532 Posts
I'm amazed that someone can look at a dipstick, which only has an "operating range" and no calibration marks, and somehow deduce, "yup, she looks about 0.125 quarts low." How on earth can you tell that from a dipstick (unless that's how much you had to add to get it back to the full mark)?
Hmm... historically, the "holes" in a dipstick are 1 quart apart... Haven't added any oil to my Mustang to confirm that, but would be highly unusual to see them be any different...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts