Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 96gt auto with 100k miles, I've been getting the 'Low Oil' light quite frequently.

It started about 2 months ago but only happened about one time a week until about almost 2 weeks ago. Now it happens almost 25% of the time I start my car.

I know that the oil sensors in these cars are a bit too sensitive and will go on when the car is parked on an uneven surface but isn't this happening too often? My oil was changed about 500 miles ago and was filled with the right ammount of oil, and the readings are correct on the dipstick.

I also heard that the oil sensor gets checked once at startup and wont go away until the car is started the next time. Although, in my case it will sometimes go away about 20 minutes into the drive with the light on.. :shrug

Any ideas on what could be going on or something I should check?

·
Registered
6 Posts
First of all, you need to verify your oil pressure. Is there a guage on your car? If not, put a guage in the place of the sender and determine if you have proper pressure at start. If you do, look at the sender and replace it, it could be faulty. If not(the guage that you install to verifies that you have low pressure at these times), then you have more serious problems that will reauire mechanical repair. Possibly an oild pump, or worse, bottem end rebuild.

When you first start your car, does the motor make alot of noise? And quiets down after a bit of running. This would indicated wear of your bearings and that they need to be replaced. This would also be the reason for low oil pressure too. As the motor gets to operating temp, the clearences reduce, which in turn will drive up your pressure to acceptable levels.

David

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where can I get a guage to check the pressure? Also what's the sender?

My startup seems normal and theres no change in sound or quality..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well since you do not understang what or wheree a gage is or would go. It might be best if you go to a reputable Shop or the Ford Dealer and have them check it out.

I will have to look in my manual on where the sender is located. but the sender or sensor as some would call it, is the actual device that creates the signal for the ECU to determine what the pressure is.

David

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.