Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just started working on a 92 mustang with the 302 and it runs strong but idles rough, when I first start it up it wants to shut off but then fires right up again - first thing in the morning a little blue/white smoke for about 5 minutes then nothing but still idle problem. Extreme exhaust smell, only other thing I can find is having to "go to the floor" to shift. Any help on these issues would be great, I've always drove and love German cars but want to build this car right.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Do an Idle reset, adjust timing.

Here is a link to another post, it may help. Also check your timing, I find 14 degrees advanced works well with 91-93 octane. All cars vary depending on setup, listen for pinging and back it off 2 degrees.

If you are not familiar with checking the timing, search for posts on here, they have all the info you will need, the link below will give you the idle resetting.

As for Blue smoke, that sound like a bad gasket letting oil or antifreeze in the combustion chambers, but I may be wrong.

Proper TPS and Idle settings 5.0 / Fix Idle Surge - Ford Mustang Forums

As for the clutch going to the floor to shift, adjust the cable. You may have to get an adjustable cable though, I like to keep my clutch right at the top of the peddle for fast shifts.

·
Registered
56 Posts
A Guide of procedures!

First and foremost run the diagnostic Codes from the ECM. This is another thing we didnt touch on StrokeYourPony.

DIY KOEO/KOER/Cylinder Balance Self-Test Procedure
We should put together a Guide with links to all of these procedures and what order one should do them in, Check codes, Adjust Timing, Adjust Idle and TPS, Clean MAF, etc...

I have never seen a post that tells a beginner what he should do first, and what he should follow up with to not only diagnose problems, but to dial in the pony.

What do ya think 89coupe? By the way I have serious envy of the tilt steering in your car. Can you send pics of it in multiple positions so I can see what I have been trying to get for 5 years, LOL.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Well, if my steering wheel tilts, I have not seen it tilt.... LOL

But seriously, my steering wheel doesn't tilt.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the info guys, now I'm a true beginner and have to ask who or how do I get the ECM codes checked? Thanks again, I truely do want to get this car in tip top shape. This weekend the interior is getting redone by my shop and does anybody recomend any particular body kits?

Mike

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Look at my first post in this thread. The words in blue are a link, click on it and go to town.:bigthumbsup

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.