Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am replacing the motor in my 99 v6 vert with a 01 v6 engine from a wrecked car. At first, I thought the 94-04 engines would have been identical, specifically the new edge 99-04 engines... WRONG. There are minor differences all over between my old 99 and new 01 engine. I'll try to give you the reader's digest version. We basically had to transfer EVERYTHING from my old engine to the new one, including the plenum and lower intake.

FYI: The 01 intake has butterfly valves that are connected to a motor which is controled by the computer. My 99 doesn't have this option. We had to switch the lower intake over so it would be compatible with my old wire harness and computer.

Now, for the actual question. Can I reuse the lower intake gasket? Before I get a flood of replies saying, "No, spend the money, get a new one." I went to advance auto and the zone, neither of them had the gasget. It was a $45 special order part.

The gasket from my 99 was smashed up and looked pretty bad. It was destroyed during removal. The gasket from the 01 engine looked really good. Everything was in tact and it didn't looked smashed or beat up at all. We cleaned it up really well and cleaned the surfaces on the heads till they were smooth. I put some silicone in the corners where the gasket bends. Will it be ok?

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
As long as the gasket from the 01 matches your 99 upper exactly and it looks good i dont think you will have a problem

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I thought too. The gaskets are identical and since the 01 gasket was still in excellent condition, I figured it would be fine to reuse.

Another "do-it-yourselfer" came in when he saw us in the shop. He said the gasket has to be replaced (no and's if's or but's) because after it is smashed the first time, it's no good. He swore up and down that I would hydrolock the engine from coolant leaks and everything else, so it kinda freaked me out because this is the first time I've ever had to transfer the lower intake during an engine swap.

BTW: This is not one of the cheap paper gaskets. It's metal/rubber.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
ya im reused my lower intake gasket when i had to take my heads off. That was last year and im now running 20+lbs of boost thru it. No problems as of time being

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just a quick update for anybody wondering. Do NOT reuse the lower intake gasket after it's already been used. We finally got everything put back together, fired the car up, and it runs like SH!T. It's not too bad at idle, but as soon as a little gas is given, the car shakes and lopes horribly. Moisture is coming out the exhaust now. I should have just ordered the damn gasket and waited for it to come in. Now, I have to tear it all back down again and STILL have to order it and wait. :(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.